Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
JAbraham03

Furnace Help!

I have a 2016 Montana High Country 370BR. 3rd time out in it we started to hear a clicking sound. Went outside to track it down and ended up being the furnace blower surging. You could feel it pushing air out the exhaust. Went back in and turned off thermostat but noise wouldn't go away. Eventually pulled the fuse out of the box problem with this though is that it kills the power to the thermostat so can't turn the A/C on. Put fuse back in and clicking started after a couple minutes. Turned on furnace and clicking stopped and blower came on but no hot air coming from vents. Fairly cool air. Turned furnace off after several minutes and blower won't shut off now. Pulled fuse and re-installed and still have problem.

Could it be water that got behind the panel during rain? If so I would have thought they would have seen that at the dealership as the unit sits outside plugged in there. Other option would be a board or relay.

Thanks for all the help. Trying to not have to lug this back to the dealership to have work done.

John
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

The control boards do fail, mine did in less than 1 year. BUT, why guess and spend hours of trying to fix it. You may be spending money on items that do not fix the problem. You may end up casing more damage and void the warranty. Since it does have a warranty, phone the service dept. tomorrow. I believe to fix the board you need to remove the whole unit and do some tests.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Furnace Help!

Depending on which furnace you have, we have had a rash of "crazy acting" units due to the control board being moved to the outermost portion of the assembly, and water leaking past the access plate seal.

If your furnace has the large rectangular cover, that is the brand we are having issues with. Blowing out the water has fixed them all.

It also required altering the furnace assembly so it would sit deeper in the housing, allowing the cover to seal

If it's under warranty. You might want to take it in. The board does have to come out to be tested.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Mutt

You outta gas?? If you run out of gas or don't have it turned on ..... the igniter will click trying to light the furnace. You might feel air coming out .... but it won't be hot.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
JAbraham03

Water problem

I think it is definitely water related. It is the upright rectangular panel. It started after heavy Florida rain. Side of unit was like a water fall since the gutters can't handle the rain we get. Opened panel up next morning and water came flying out. Board was soaked. Dried over thing up and problem went away until ththe next day we got another heavy rain storm. The power connectors to the lower relay on the board sit on the very bottom of the board. I'm no master electrician but you would think common sense would say to not put that on the bottom of the board.

I ended up turning it off at the switch there. Which should also be inside so when it happens you don't have to go out in the poor in rain to turn it off. Pulling the fuse makes the main A/C not work as it runs through that thermostat. Although you would think this shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Will need to start carrying compressed air with me to help dry it out sooner. It is going to a repair center second week of April after our next trip to address fridge issues. Not sure if they can service the heater under warranty. I know they area domestic warranty center but not sure as I think the heater is Atwood?

Thanks

John
Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It is definitely an Atwood issue, not Keystone. The two we just fixed were Grand Designs. Since I'm not the tech that did the repairs, I can't say exactly what was done, but if you need me to, I can find out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
JAbraham03

Heater

That would be awesome if you could. I am guessing it is something they will just install a thicker deal on though to keep water out.

Overall we love our unit so far. Just have this and the fridge issue to determine. Thanks for all the info.

John
Old 03-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Will do. I think he did some grinding along with a different seal.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
JAbraham03

Warranty work

Fortunately after double checking with Keystone and the Repair Center my local RV repair shop is a warranty repair center for Keystone in general and dont have to worry about individually dometic and atwood. They will be getting the unit the second week of April. Keystone says they will have to order a new board since it got wet and do know of some issues.

The rant part: WHY SEND OUT UNITS WHEN YOU KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE ISSUES!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAbraham03 View Post
The rant part: WHY SEND OUT UNITS WHEN YOU KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE ISSUES!!!

Unfortunately the engineers will make a design change, see that it "looks good on paper" and don't know of any issues until us techs start seeing the issue over and over again.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAbraham03 View Post

It is all about making the numbers. Operations shipped it and get credit for doing so, they may even have hit their target for the month by doing so.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
It is all about making the numbers. Operations shipped it and get credit for doing so, they may even have hit their target for the month by doing so.
Or it could be that Atwood changed their furnace design, sold it to Keystone (along with multiple other RV manufacturers) and after installing them in several thousand travel trailers, everyone is surprised with a "design flaw" that Atwood "somehow didn't consider in their attempt to improve the product, and somehow it wound up available to the industry"...

The Atwood furnace line is not exclusive to Keystone, and even though "we chosen few" who own Keystone products are "hearing our membership woes", if you go to other RV sites, I'm sure you'll hear the same "Why does XXX manufacturer" ship "defective products" ????

It may be good to remember that Keystone doesn't design the furnace, but the RV that it goes into.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

BINGO. As I stated earlier into this thread, we are seeing the same issue in Grand Design RVs, only common factor is Atwood furnace.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
dcg9381

I just saw a similar post about Grand Design - the replacement was a "horizontal" vs a "vertical" design - they looked identical... So not sure what's really the issue.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Furnace Help!

Horizontal vs vertical: same unit, just installed on its side. Board is still subject to water getting past the seal.

Changing the orientation of the unit would require modifying the sidewall of the trailer, and I don't think Grand design would authorize the work needed to repair the vacuum bonded surface.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
dcg9381

The wrong unit was installed..
Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you provide a link? We are currently one of the top dealers in the US for Grand Design, and I haven't seen any models from them come with the wrong unit.

I have seen the exact same unit mounted both ways depending on the floor plan. I'm not aware of different units being used, and we sell every line they make.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Or it could be that Atwood changed their furnace design, sold it to Keystone (along with multiple other RV manufacturers) and after installing them in several thousand travel trailers, everyone is surprised with a "design flaw" that Atwood "somehow didn't consider in their attempt to improve the product, and somehow it wound up available to the industry"...

The Atwood furnace line is not exclusive to Keystone, and even though "we chosen few" who own Keystone products are "hearing our membership woes", if you go to other RV sites, I'm sure you'll hear the same "Why does XXX manufacturer" ship "defective products" ????

It may be good to remember that Keystone doesn't design the furnace, but the RV that it goes into.

Very likely and I do not disagree with what you are saying.

But Atwoood and the RV manufacturers may have already been aware of the design issue but really have no choice but to build with a suspect furnace until a fix is cut in. The Production line and deliveries have to keep going. There are other suppliers and staff to pay. It all comes down to cash flow. No manufacturer will stop the production line for any length of time ( measured in minutes or hours, not days) to wait for a fix or replacement furnaces.

Generally, there is less overall financial cost to cover the warranty on the units built and delivered with a suspect furnace than the cost of stoping production.

However, the cost of reputation is another matter.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #19
JAbraham03

whoops

Didn't mean to start a frenzy with the comment. That's why I specified it was a vent...I know all these units have issues not matter what you spend. I have had experiences with Prevost and they still have issues every-time you turn around so no manufacturer is perfect.

Although you would think anything being mounted on the outer perimeter would have gone through weather testing.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Can you provide a link? We are currently one of the top dealers in the US for Grand Design, and I haven't seen any models from them come with the wrong unit.
Here is what I read on it..