Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #41
slow

I ordered new Timken bearings with the thought that if I am cleaning out the old grease and repacking with new, I may as well replace the China with NA bearings.

Best price in Canada seems to be from The Wrench Monkey.

When searching in the Timken's website, I came across a few documents and a video I thought others may find interesting:

http://www.dtcomponents.com/files/vo...nt_english.pdf

http://www.dtcomponents.com/files/vo...se_english.pdf

https://youtu.be/0RqlrnoiqnY
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #42
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
..............It sounded to me like some interpreted that as until the nut locks, but I see it as until the wheel locks. .....................
I spent the afternoon replacing the factory bearings with Timkins, then servicing and adjusting the brakes as per Glenn's (Dexter) recommendations. It turns out that when the wheel is locked, the star adjustment nut is also locked. So they are one in the same. Backing off 5 clicks seemed about right.

I lifted one wheel at at time. It took 2 hours to do the first one, then about 75 minutes for the other three. It consisted of: jacking, pulling off the wheel, pulling the hub, removing the rear seal, hammering out the bearing cones from the hub, cleaning the hub, dismantling, inspecting and cleaning the brake components, applying anti-seize to the contact points and pivot for the brakes, reassembling the brakes, installing the new bearing cones in the hub, packing the new bearings, install the bearings and new rear seal, purging out the old grease in the spindle, reinstalling the hub, setting the wheel bearing axial play as per the Timken instructions a few posts above and then adjusting the brakes. I used two cans of brake cleaner and almost a full cartridge of grease for the tandem set up.

With approximately 15,000 miles on the China bearings, they all looked good, but were tossed in the garbage. No grease made it past the rear seal, but it looked like the bearings had been greased using the grease fittings either at the factory or the dealer. Also the grease on a couple of the inner bearings next to the seal was very dark in color (almost black) vs the red color in the hub. I suspect I had minor water contamination.

I also re-torqued the axle to spring u-bolts. Some were less than 30 ft-lbs, so I took them all up to 60 ft-lbs.

The MorRyde wet bolt kit is my next project.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #43
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
The MorRyde wet bolt kit is my next project.
Is the wet bolt kit common on lighter trailers? Most posts about the wet bolt kit reference fifth wheels.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #44
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Is the wet bolt kit common on lighter trailers? Most posts about the wet bolt kit reference fifth wheels.
Yes,.... well mine at least. My TT is not large by any stretch but after seeing pictures of suspension failures with the thin cheap factory components I "wet bolted" mine.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 AM   #45
gearhead

Quote:
Common as in standard equipment from the factory? I would guess no, except on higher end expensive models.
Common as in available from aftermarket suppliers, and installed by the owner or their shop of choice? Yes.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #46
mfifield01

Most people upgrading to wet bolts seem to have fifth wheels. This is the first reference to a lighter trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #47
slow

Quote:
Most people upgrading to wet bolts seem to have fifth wheels. This is the first reference to a lighter trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I wish the factory installed nylon bushings were adequate for a "light" trailer like our 23RB, but that is not what I found yesterday when I did the wet bolt kit install:

I posted more details of my wet bolt kit install here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=bolt
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 AM   #48
mosquitoman

I found the same ware on a two axle flat bed trailer that only carries a Kubota RTV that weighs 2000lbs. I will be putting a wet bolt kit on my new TT.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #49
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I ordered new Timken bearings with the thought that if I am cleaning out the old grease and repacking with new, I may as well replace the China with NA bearings.

Best price in Canada seems to be from The Wrench Monkey.
I was thinking about replacing our OE wheel bearings/races with Timken bearings. Our local distributor for Timken is Motion Industries. While perusing their website, I read that the Timken tapered roller bearing country of origin is China. Other than an established brand with a very good reputation, what would we gain by replacing one Chinese bearing with another? I'm all for going to a better bearing, but I'm thinking China is China. The price difference is substantial. I didn't price the exact bearing for our trailer, but, across the board, the Timken bearings were 3 to 4 times as expensive as the bearings available from Redneck Trailer.

Added on edit: I'm afraid my post reads as a bit argumentative and it is not meant to be. I am simply wondering if the Chinese made Timkens are as good as they were when they were made here.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #50
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I was thinking about replacing our OE wheel bearings/races with Timken bearings. Our local distributor for Timken is Motion Industries. While perusing their website, I read that the Timken tapered roller bearing country of origin is China. Other than an established brand with a very good reputation, what would we gain by replacing one Chinese bearing with another? I'm all for going to a better bearing, but I'm thinking China is China. The price difference is substantial. I didn't price the exact bearing for our trailer, but, across the board, the Timken bearings were 3 to 4 times as expensive as the bearings available from Redneck Trailer.

Added on edit: I'm afraid my post reads as a bit argumentative and it is not meant to be. I am simply wondering if the Chinese made Timkens are as good as they were when they were made here.
My observations when comparing the factory installed bearings and the Timkens that replaced them:

My factory installed bearing races were labelled with "CHINA", where as my Timken bearings races are all labelled with "USA".

As I stated in a previous post, my inspection of the factory installed bearings suggested they were performing well and had no durability issues. Therefore I cannot complain or bash the factory installed bearings in any way.

My five sets (one for a spare set) of Timkens were $135 CDN (or ~$100 US). I considered the price reasonable for peace of mind and cheaper than my time it would have taken or the amount of brake cleaner to flush out the old bearing's grease.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #51
jsmith948

Thanks
for the response. I'll look for a different supplier. Motion Industries prices are WAY out of line with what you paid

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #52
gearhead

I have found them on Amazon, but they are Chinese Timkens. Seems like a few years ago I found USA Timkens on Amazon.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote