Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
fern

Bullet toilet backup

We have had a travel trailer for over 20 years. We purchased a 2014 bullet, and for the first time we have had a problem where the toilet clogged. Has anyone had a problem with the Keystone/bullet toilet system?
fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Please explain what you mean by "the toilet clogged".... There's nothing but a straight 3" pipe from the ball valve in the toilet to the black tank. If it's "plugged" a simple broom handle should push the offending "plug" on down the pipe.... If the black tank is "plugged" what part? The dump valve? the "pyramid of poo" under the toilet pipe? the actual black tank? the tank vent pipe that goes to the ceiling?

More information please, so far there isn't enough information to even know what's "plugged".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
therink

I am not sure what your last trailer was but in today's trailers (all), the waste tanks KS are very wide and flat and only about 6" in height. If you don't start fresh after each time you dump with and inch or two of water (say 5 gallons or so), you may develop a solid build up (aka poo pyramid) directly below the toilet pipe.
I experienced this problem once and learned to male sure my shallow tank has plenty of water first before using.
I recommend puttingan old ggarden hose down the toilet into the tank and see if you can break it up.
You should be good from there. Water in the tank is your friend.

The tanks on older models tended to be deeper. Once manufacturers started covering the belly, they had to make the tanks shorter in height.
I hope this helps.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
GaryWT

We gave a Premier Bullet and have had no issues in 3 years. As asked above, what/where is the clog?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Jsdigger

Not sure what bullet model you have or what part of the toilet is clogged.Happens on our 2014 251rbs especially if were out for more than a few days,i carry a garden hose and nozzle just for this reason.the bend to the black tank at the bottom of the toilet is just below the floor like stated above and waste will pile up if its not broken down somehow.i don't see any other way to prevent this unless its used for #1 only.If we dry camp than i will use a stick or broom handle(if the DW is not nearby).forgot to clean it out last month after 5 days dry camping GROSS!!!!

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
ThePressureIsOn

After looking down the toilet and seeing how close the bottom of the tank looked, I removed the toilet to see if we had some kind of obstruction. I found no obstruction but a very shallow tank. I measured from the bottom of the flange to the bottom of the tank and was surprised that it was only 3 & 1/4 inches. So it's easy to understand how the toilet could clog up with the dreaded poop pyramid, as described by member fern, if not flushed with lots of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	9332  
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Nuke

We have a 2014 30ripr and have experienced the clogged toilet syndrome as well. After a bit of 'investigation', I found that not using enough water when flushing causes a big problem with this unit (much more than other units we've owned). Simply allowing the bowl to partially fill (wet ALL of the paper), then open fully and flush seems to resolve the problem (don't be too sparing on the flush water!!!). Once I told the DW how to do the 'new flush' procedure, we have not experienced this issue again.

BTW, it was a bear to get the stack of paper out of the commode drain. Had to use a mini sewer snake (which now rides in our toilet tote) to break it up. Found tank to be clean; give that credit to using Gain rather than the perfume-smelling RV toilet packs.
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

This was already said but, water is your friend, use more than you think you should. Just using the dump valve to flush the stuff away is not enough water. After a #2 I flush 2 times. The second flush is just a bowl of water. Do that and I bet more clogged toilet. I start camping with 3 to 5 gallons of water in the toilet before it is used.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:36 AM   #9
camreal

Same thing here. Had an older trailer for years and never had tank draining problems. Bought the Keystone built trailer and have had to flush it out numerous times. Poor designed tank.
camreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Shadowcats

Hard to believe they built the tank like that, but it seems quite common in the industry today. As stated - water, water and more water...only problem we've had is the first stage area, and the ol broom handle works well. Hey...sure beats the ol cat hole we used to use in the Army!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
bill-e

I have a Cougar, my daughter a Bullet, both 2015's. Over Labor Day we both experienced clogs when draining the black tanks. Draining started good and then abruptly stopped towards the end of the drain....no output even when adding water via the flush. Mine took repeated blasts of a full toilet flush. My son in law filled his tank to capacity and that broke the clog.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
cw3jason

More water and less paper when doing your buisness is my suggestion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I have a Cougar, my daughter a Bullet, both 2015's. Over Labor Day we both experienced clogs when draining the black tanks. Draining started good and then abruptly stopped towards the end of the drain....no output even when adding water via the flush. Mine took repeated blasts of a full toilet flush. My son in law filled his tank to capacity and that broke the clog.
If there was a clog big enough to block the 3" opening at the exit from the tank, it sounds to me like a DBP (Dreaded Black Pyramid) that formed under the down pipe from the toilet and then was floated away by just enough liquid. It hit the gate and stopped up the drain. By adding enough water, you did two things. First the added liquid probably softened things up somewhat, and second, the added volume of a full tank was enough to push it through into the pipe and on out.

DPB's form when not enough water is in the tank when you first start to use it. Instead of floating away, the solids just pile up. Once they are above the water level, they'll dry out a bit becoming even more solid. Then it just grows. That's why you'll hear the mantra "Start with at least 5 gallons of water in the empty black tank!"

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
bill-e

Lots of speculation here but I can tell you that the tank was half full with water after previously getting a good cleaning when we began the weekend and all adults were instructed to use plenty of water. As for paper, it takes what it takes.

Never had this problem with my previous camper and neither did my daughter. There has to have been a design change which is causing this and if I use more water than I was using, I'd never get through a dry camping weekend.......which by the way I am leaving for tomorrow, we'll see how it goes when I dump.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #15
jerry

toilet

always dump ice in toilet after dumping just before going down the road, never a problem
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote