Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

replacing dvd player, brand advice?

Hello, did a brief search and nothing popped, sorry if there is already a thread discussing this.

I want to replace the dvd player I have, and am wondering if there are brands to stay away from that do not handle the motions if the trailer well? Or maybe I should ask if there are brands that do well in rvs? Is it a baseless worry? Technically, I am looking to replace the speaker surround sound controller, but since it is currently my dvd player, I figured I would get another that served both purposes.

Thank you.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Lost

What kind of dvd player do you have now? Is it a built in unit? if so can you post a picture of it.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I only use the built in CD/DVD/RADIO/AMP with my mp3 player. I replaced my home Blueray and use the old one in the trailer with the audio from the tv. I have seen Sony Bluerays as low as $65 and they are upgradeable for any new software that comes out. For best picture use HDMI connection. Even a $30 Dollar Store DVD player will be better than the built-in. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
canesfan

I've been seeing a lot of Samsung products in RVs of late as opposed to "off brand" RV only type brands if you know what I mean. Samsung makes a good product for home use, as for bouncing around in an RV we'll see as I have a big Samsung tv, a dvd and a soundbar in mine.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
What kind of dvd player do you have now? Is it a built in unit? if so can you post a picture of it.
It is a KLH Digital HA9000, and it is just strapped in with velcro. Not sure if it is what came with the unit, or if it was put in by past owners
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Thanks all
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

I don't think that stereo/DVD/CD components that appear in RV's are especially designed for RV's or to stand up to any additional bouncing around. They are, in most cases, bottom-of-the-line products and are inferior to most off the shelf stuff found everywhere.

I know that there are "marine" components - especially speakers - that are advertised and "designed" to withstand the marine environment and would probably do well as outside speakers on RVs.

As you probably know, you can spend a considerable chunk of $$$$ on audio and TV components and depending upon how much of an audiophile you are , your tastes and pocketbook will determine how much you want to spend.

There are lots of brands out there - many of which produce good quality sound and are pretty reliable - so you would probably be safe with choosing any of the common, well-known brands. I don't think one brand does any better or worse than any other so as you said your worries may be baseless.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I don't think that stereo/DVD/CD components that appear in RV's are especially designed for RV's or to stand up to any additional bouncing around. They are, in most cases, bottom-of-the-line products and are inferior to most off the shelf stuff found everywhere.

I know that there are "marine" components - especially speakers - that are advertised and "designed" to withstand the marine environment and would probably do well as outside speakers on RVs.

As you probably know, you can spend a considerable chunk of $$$$ on audio and TV components and depending upon how much of an audiophile you are , your tastes and pocketbook will determine how much you want to spend.

There are lots of brands out there - many of which produce good quality sound and are pretty reliable - so you would probably be safe with choosing any of the common, well-known brands. I don't think one brand does any better or worse than any other.

I do not want to be so loud as to annoy the folks next to me, but I do enjoy a good sound system. Almost wish my speakers were broken so I could justify replacing them, but maybe I will wait and spend money on more practical upgrades, like slide awnings.

Festus, you have been extremely patient and helpful since I signed up for the forum (as have many others). Just wanted to thank you personally for all of the help. If we ever cross paths on the road, I will gladly buy you a beer or two (or more if you let me).
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
abneynormal

my 3912 is all

sony. the am/fm cd/dvd the speakers amp and tv. to be honest I have used the dvd player twice and I live in it full time. I would rather be rocking out, outside, or on the internet. HOWEVER, I have installed and competed in iasca and other stereo events in bygone days. sony is good their computers are lacking. ironically in the freightliner I bought a 100 dual from walmart and I love it I plug in a flash drive and rock on. if you buy a Samsung too they make good stuff. as for advice go to a best buy or equivalent. walmart and their kind are usually worthless. unless they have a guy that loves tech. we have one here in Guntersville
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
sony. the am/fm cd/dvd the speakers amp and tv. to be honest I have used the dvd player twice and I live in it full time. I would rather be rocking out, outside, or on the internet. HOWEVER, I have installed and competed in iasca and other stereo events in bygone days. sony is good their computers are lacking. ironically in the freightliner I bought a 100 dual from walmart and I love it I plug in a flash drive and rock on. if you buy a Samsung too they make good stuff. as for advice go to a best buy or equivalent. walmart and their kind are usually worthless. unless they have a guy that loves tech. we have one here in Guntersville

Love the screen name!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #11
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
It is a KLH Digital HA9000, and it is just strapped in with velcro. Not sure if it is what came with the unit, or if it was put in by past owners
I was wondering if you had a built in unit like I have which severely limits your options. Since you don't It comes down to how much you want to spend on a good unit But remember a top of the line unit or any unit for that matter will not sound good unless you have top quality speakers. Top quality speakers are not cheap but they produce a night and day differance in sound quality.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

A consideration for replacements is the type of camping you do. If you're going to be "dry camping" without shore power much of the time, you won't have 120 VAC available to power a "home system" (unless you also wire an inverter). If "dry camping" will be a significant part of your RV use, you may want to look at a 12VDC replacement system.

Historically, 12VDC systems are more efficient than 120VAC systems when run with an inverter. So run time while on battery can be significantly reduced with a home system.

If you're going to be "for the most part" always plugged in, then having the versatility of a 12VDC system won't be as important. It pretty much depends on how you use your RV as to which power source is best for you to consider.

If you are also replacing the TV, seriously consider the new LED illuminated LCD TV's. The older florescent illuminated LCD TV's use more power to light the screen. It's sort of like replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's. You save energy. You'll do the same with an LED TV over a "conventional" LCD TV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I was wondering if you had a built in unit like I have which severely limits your options. Since you don't It comes down to how much you want to spend on a good unit But remember a top of the line unit or any unit for that matter will not sound good unless you have top quality speakers. Top quality speakers are not cheap but they produce a night and day differance in sound quality.
well, for now I will use the stock speakers, too many other things have cropped up that will need attention. Will be a fun project someday. How important is the speaker wire? I cannot imagine there is top of the line speaker wire running all through this rig.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A consideration for replacements is the type of camping you do. If you're going to be "dry camping" without shore power much of the time, you won't have 120 VAC available to power a "home system" (unless you also wire an inverter). If "dry camping" will be a significant part of your RV use, you may want to look at a 12VDC replacement system.

Historically, 12VDC systems are more efficient than 120VAC systems when run with an inverter. So run time while on battery can be significantly reduced with a home system.

If you're going to be "for the most part" always plugged in, then having the versatility of a 12VDC system won't be as important. It pretty much depends on how you use your RV as to which power source is best for you to consider.

If you are also replacing the TV, seriously consider the new LED illuminated LCD TV's. The older florescent illuminated LCD TV's use more power to light the screen. It's sort of like replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's. You save energy. You'll do the same with an LED TV over a "conventional" LCD TV.
hmmm, this is a good point that I had not really thought of. As of now, since we will be working from "home" we will always be plugged in. Had not thought about how the pull would be when dry camping. Hopefully if I am dry camping somewhere, it will be so spectacular as to not need television supplement
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
well, for now I will use the stock speakers, too many other things have cropped up that will need attention. Will be a fun project someday. How important is the speaker wire? I cannot imagine there is top of the line speaker wire running all through this rig.
Generally the more watts the unit has per channel the heaver the speaker wire should be. But in a rv 12v I don't think your going to have over 50 watts per channel and that's alot so I don't think I would replace the speaker wire. If your dry camping the more watts your unit has the faster it will drain your battery.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I've been seeing a lot of Samsung products in RVs of late as opposed to "off brand" RV only type brands if you know what I mean. Samsung makes a good product for home use, as for bouncing around in an RV we'll see as I have a big Samsung tv, a dvd and a soundbar in mine.
Canesfan, wondering if you'd mind sharing a picture of your soundbar instalation in your raptor? I have a 2013 300mp and thinking of installing a soundbar, although not entirely sure the 40" Sansui TV is compatible with the Samsung soundbars on sale at Best Buy for Cyber Monday deals that are still available this whole week...

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote