Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Trapshooter

New to hauling

we just purchased a new Cougar 21RBS, and a GMC sierra 1500 SLT to haul it. We pick up the trailer this week. I am sure the dealer will clue us in on what we need, but I would prefer to be prepared when I get there. wanted to know about the trailer hitch. this truck has a full MAX trailering package and can haul up to 9300 lbs. so we are well below the weight of the trailer and cargo of 7200 lbs.

I want to know if we need the weight distribution hitch? being a small and light weight trailer I am guessing not, but I'll let you folks answer.

Thanks.
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Canonman

Welcome to the forum. WDH, yes! Include the anti sway bars as well. You'll get many opinions on which brand but you won't be sorry you did it.
We had a 24' TT pulled with a 1/2 ton Ford. When we upgraded to the 3/4 ton Diesel we kept the WDH and were happy we did. Really helps with added control during windy conditions and when the big rigs pass by.
Happy Camping
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Enjoy your new rig!

Per the GM manual, absolutely yes, because of trailer weight. From personal experience, heck yes due to the improved towing experience. You won't be sorry you have it as it makes a world of diffetence.

On your numbers you are quoting, is that from the advertising brochures or from your trucks door post stickers. They will be different. You have plenty of truck for your current trailer. If/when you buy your next one, be sure to use the sticker weights when calculating if you have enough truck.

Enjoy your new trailer and make lots of memories. Post some pictures when you get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
we just purchased a new Cougar 21RBS, and a GMC sierra 1500 SLT to haul it.
Trapshooter I have that exact truck but with a liter trailer by 1100lbs. Grades are going to be an issue with those 3:42 gears out back. Tow in M4 and slow down when doing grades. Don't be surprised when M3 is needed and sometimes M2 while climbing. Nice and easy is all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Per the GM manual, absolutely yes, because of trailer weight.
Yes, the cut off is 7000lbs as being an option as to weather or not to use a weight distribution hitch. OP need's one by the time trailer and truck bed is loaded.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
On your numbers you are quoting, is that from the advertising brochures or from your trucks door post stickers.
Having the same truck those numbers are from the owner's manual. It's say's 9300 lbs but I say different. It rolls out great but head winds and grades are an issue.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
Having the same truck those numbers are from the owner's manual. It's say's 9300 lbs but I say different. It rolls out great but head winds and grades are an issue.
I had the same thing with my previous Silverado with max tow. It did it, I was waaaaaay overweight, and traded up this spring. It was no Bueno for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer! WDH? Absoulutely! Make sure it is a WDH with SWAY control. Many brands out there and folks have their preferences; I use an Equalizer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

We install a lot of Reese elite and pro round bar. I'm a fiver so I don't have any personal experience, but the customers that "know" upgrade to the equalizer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I could be wrong in this, but I'd suspect that the receiver that's mounted on the back of your truck has a sticker on it that states: "MAX WEIGHT Non WD 500/5000 pounds. MAX TRAILER WD 1000/10000"

So, the physical limitations on the hitch would require you to have a weight distribution hitch for that trailer which has a hitch weight of 550 lbs and an empty weight of 5120 pounds. By the time you add propane and a battery you're going to be approaching 5300 pounds of trailer weight, so even empty, your truck receiver isn't rated to tow the trailer home without a weight distribution hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
the sodfather

I'll jump in but it's gonna be the same ol' song and dance. You have to have a WDH. I have an Equalizer hitch. I don't know if it's "the best" but I really like it. My brother bought a Reese, he's selling it locally and buying an Equalizer....
Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Cheryl

Our dealer recommended the equalizer. I was very nervous about the sway from winds and trucks. Our second trip was south across the Alberta prairies. It was a bit difficult but when we stopped for a break and stepped outside the wind was crazy! So glad we invested in this hitch. Don't even notice the big trucks go by. So far, anyways

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
Luvnlife

On the road now with a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab Short Bed, Max tow with a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch hauling a Passport Ultra Lite Elite 31RE. Pulled up a 9% 7 mile long grade on US 77 in Virginia and across the Appalachians both ways on the way from Florida to Pennsylvania and back. Easily maintained 60 up mountains and could have gone faster. Yes it did down shift to 3rd but RPMs were not excessive. Had an older Sierra HD with a 28 Outback passing me on the flats but I would overtake him on the next mountain. Absolutely no Sway from passing trucks which was a relief after driving my Winnebago View. OP will have no problem with his TT.
Luvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Buy the hitch and you will be happier towing. I use an Equalizer 4 point WDH that has sway control built in.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote