Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
powerstrokedub

Some issues surfacing Carbon 387

Took the 387 out for a trip this weekend and found a few issues,

-One of the bunk beds managed to break a frame on its own (it's never been moved from the top position or had weight on it)
-After towing down a dirt road found dust spray at the front of the garage in the front most left corner (any ideas on how to fix this would be awesome)
-All of the side skirt holds have failed miserably (currently rebuilding this all with aluminum tubing that is being triangulated from the main frame out to the skirt)
-Because both slides are on the same side of the coach it seems to have a slight lean to the right side, I think I will rotate all springs and rebuild the suspension annually because of this
-Not sure if it is because of the extra weight on the one side or not but I feel like the axles may be slightly out of alignment (any opinions on correc-trac being worth while would be appreciated)

Overall still happy with the coach and feel like it still offers a ton of bang for the buck. I would really like some opinions on the issues I've listed that I don't have a solution for currently. I'm thinking a lot of these will make good winter projects and I look forward to improving the coach and getting it to a level that I'm 100% happy with it (if that can happen haha).
powerstrokedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
bsmith0404

If you know where your dust spray is coming in you could spray it with some "Great Stuff". Don't use a lot, the foam will expand quite a bit and it will seal the gap.

As for the weight/lean problem you're having, I'd scale it side to side to side first and find out how much extra weight you actually have on that side vs. the other. If there really is a big imbalance, I would consider adding a leaf vs. an annual rotation. Address the problem instead of compensating for it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
RETSEK

Does your garage area should have a vent on the front left side, usually up high, and another identical vent on the right rear side, usually down low. These vents can open to the front or to the rear of the coach. If you open the front so it "scoops" air in and the rear to the back, it will dump the air out. If you do this while driving down the road, it will clear out any odor (gas from the toys) real quick. I'm wondering if that front vent isn't cracked open a bit.

Good luck.

Dan & Lora
Marshalltown Iowa
RETSEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you know where your dust spray is coming in you could spray it with some "Great Stuff". Don't use a lot, the foam will expand quite a bit and it will seal the gap.

As for the weight/lean problem you're having, I'd scale it side to side to side first and find out how much extra weight you actually have on that side vs. the other. If there really is a big imbalance, I would consider adding a leaf vs. an annual rotation. Address the problem instead of compensating for it.
Solid advice, I will go weigh the coach side to side and see what I can figure out as far as balancing it or doing what you suggested and adding a leaf. As far as the leak goes that was kind of my general direction, pull the panels back and add a sealant. I've never heard of "great stuff" so I will go look it up, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankester View Post
Does your garage area should have a vent on the front left side, usually up high, and another identical vent on the right rear side, usually down low. These vents can open to the front or to the rear of the coach. If you open the front so it "scoops" air in and the rear to the back, it will dump the air out. If you do this while driving down the road, it will clear out any odor (gas from the toys) real quick. I'm wondering if that front vent isn't cracked open a bit.

Good luck.
I have the ram air vents, and they do allow some dust to enter but this leak is down on the floor coming under the diamond plate and on top of the black rubber floor surface. It isn't a huge deal and I'm sure it was more from the 25 miles of dirt road I went down this weekend but I'd still like to get it all sealed up just for peace of mind!

What modifications to your 327 do you have planned Dan?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedub View Post
Solid advice, I will go weigh the coach side to side and see what I can figure out as far as balancing it or doing what you suggested and adding a leaf. As far as the leak goes that was kind of my general direction, pull the panels back and add a sealant. I've never heard of "great stuff" so I will go look it up, thanks for the tip!

I have the ram air vents, and they do allow some dust to enter but this leak is down on the floor coming under the diamond plate and on top of the black rubber floor surface. It isn't a huge deal and I'm sure it was more from the 25 miles of dirt road I went down this weekend but I'd still like to get it all sealed up just for peace of mind!

I would suggest you go a bit further than just sealing the inside of the cabin. Where dust can get in, so can water. I'd think you've got a hole or two in your coroplast underbelly and the dust is getting in there, migrating up through a void in the paneling/flooring. If dust can get there, pulling your RV through a bad rainstorm would probably also allow water to go the same places. Water would not show as easily as dust, but the damage it could do until discovered could destroy your RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
powerstrokedub

^Agree'd, that was my original thought as well and then I was told I was overthinking the issue. I wash my coach after every use with a pressure washer and worry about water logging wood components as well. I will start pulling things apart and see what I can figure out. Thanks JRTJH
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
RETSEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedub View Post

Some of my modifications include:
Moving the bedroom light switch
Fabricating a pull out tray for the front storage bay
Isolating the water pump to make it quieter
Putting a T in the gas line to run a remote stove (hate cooking smelly stuff inside)
A wall hanger for the loft ladders
Some pantry pull outs
Change out the rear air to a low profile unit (to get in my building)

Dan & Lora
Marshalltown Iowa
RETSEK is offline   Reply With Quote