Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
jack65

Do you LOVE or HATE your MDS? How to disable it?

I was wondering if my 2014 Ram 1500 SLT w/5.7 Hemi has MDS (multi displacement system) which is the function of shutting down 4 cylinders of a 8 cylinder engine. I had really hoped my truck didn't have that.
NOTE: I answered my own question by looking at:
The build sheet
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...RR7GT0ES367523
Window sticker:
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...RR7GT0ES367523
Both says: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Hemi Engine

I HATE the MDS (multi displacement system) feature.
So now the questions is how to prevent it from coming on. Any way to turn it off other than to use manual shifting or Tow/Haul? If I wanted MDS I would have gotten a four cylinder engine. Besides if MDS kicks in a lot wouldn't that mean that four cylinders that are used are going to get more wear and tear? Another thing is how will 4 cylinders give you better gas mileage? The engine has to work much harder to move the big truck than 8 cylinders....Plus lugging a high performance motor is never good. And it sounds BAD if you have a high performance exhaust system like I do.

So, what to do, what to do? I did a couple hours of online search at 2am in the morning and came up with this.... I know the first one works for sure.

1. Manually shift. Works for sure. Make it a habit.

2. Tow/Haul is suppose to do it too, but not confirmed. Tow/Haul prevents eco mode, as does manually shifting they say.

3. 8-Speed - Downshift once and then upshift to 8th gear. It will still shift automatically with MDS disabled. Set it in 8th gear before you leave your driveway or the parking lot.

4. Put it in drive, then press the "gear -" button on the steering wheel. If you haven't started driving, the number 1 should come up on the dash. Then press "gear +" button until the 1 goes to an 8 on the dash (assuming you have the 8 speed, go to 6 of you have the 6 speed obviously), then drive. It will not go into Eco mode.

5. (from Ram forum) This is direct from the chat with the Ram Hemi Engineers. To disable the MDS, put your shifter from D to 5 (as displayed on the EVIC or cluster).

With the console shifter, this is just one hit to the left. With the column shifter you need to push the +- button - one time. Your trans will still shift up and down automatically through all the gears. Tow/haul button is not the correct method.

If you do the above a few times before leaving your driveway or where ever your parted it, it will become a habit and not so much a hassle. I'm gonna do it.

What do YOU experts have to say? I've always love the responses I get on this forum.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

As I mentioned on your other post, I dislike the MDS system. It offers no value to me and is very irritating in operation. I can feel when the cylinders kick out, but worse, it makes the engine sort of "rattle" which irritates me no end. It won't hold in that condition so it kicks out, then kicks in etc. etc. Driving around town at slower speeds is the worst.

The next time I'm in the truck I'm going to try your remedies and HOPEFULLY they work and I can rid myself of the nuisance.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
jack65

Well I tried all three today. 1, 3 & 4 seem to work, no ECO lit in the dash.

1. Manually shift.
Works for sure.

2. Tow/Haul is suppose to do it too, but not confirmed. Tow/Haul prevents eco mode, as does manually shifting they say.
Using Tow/Haul, the ECO lights up in dash, so MDS must still be working?

3. 8-Speed - Downshift once and then upshift to 8th gear. It will still shift automatically with MDS disabled. Set it in 8th gear before you leave your driveway or the parking lot.
Appears to work, but the minute you put it in neural or park, you have to do it all over again. You can also do like I did, since I was driving in town, I stopped it at 5 and it did not shift past 5th gear. It was Automatic 1-5th gear, no ECO light.

4. Put it in drive, then press the "gear -" button on the steering wheel. If you haven't started driving, the number 1 should come up on the dash. Then press "gear +" button until the 1 goes to an 8 on the dash (assuming you have the 8 speed, go to 6 of you have the 6 speed obviously), then drive. It will not go into Eco mode.
Pretty much same as 3, just more detail.

I'd like some of you to try #3 & #4 and listen to make sure it doesn't still use MDS even though there is no ECO light in dash. I'm nearly deaf and can't hear what the engine is doing. For sure manual shifting works.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Nice thing about a 1-ton diesel, no eco mode.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
jack65

How the MDS system (multi displacement system) works:
Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
jack65

I thought there'd be more interest on the MDS (multi displacement system)?
Maybe like me, many here don't even know they have it. I had no idea until I stumbled on it in an article I was reading.

That is now TWO things I don't like about this Ram truck.
1. The shifting knob on the dash. I like the former stick shifter on the consol much better.
2. The MDS (multi displacement system) a bit of a hassle, but now that I know how, I can bypass it and I will.

Otherwise, I really like this Ram truck. Still happy I got it.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
Blackrock

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with 60K miles on it. I tow a Laredo 265SRK with it and I pretty much let the trucks system run itself. I run tow/haul mode when towing and when running empty in the mountains.
ECO mode doesn't bother me at all.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
smoore0449

On the 1500s with the 8 speed, tow/haul does not disable MDS. The only way to do it is with the ers placing it 8. On the 1500, 2500 and 3500 with the 6.4 engine and the 65rfe and 66rfe transmissions both methods (tow/haul, ers) will disable MDS. I personally run tow haul all the time weather I am towing or not. Makes the truck shift like it should imho.
smoore0449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore0449 View Post
On the 1500s with the 8 speed, tow/haul does not disable MDS. The only way to do it is with the ers placing it 8. On the 1500, 2500 and 3500 with the 6.4 engine and the 65rfe and 66rfe transmissions both methods (tow/haul, ers) will disable MDS. I personally run tow haul all the time weather I am towing or not. Makes the truck shift like it should imho.
Yup, I know by now that Tow/Haul won't disable the MDS (multi displacement system), only ERS (electronic range selector) will. Tried it on my 1500 truck. If you put it in park or neutral, you have to do ERS all over again. A bit of a hassle, but worth doing to turn off MDS. After awhile it becomes a habit and a lot faster. Letting the tranny run in auto is not good for town driving as it goes through the gears way too fast, (for economy they say) but lugging a engine isn't good for it either. Tow/Haul (which stays on until you shut the engine off or push the button again) holds the shifts much longer upshifting and downshifting. So what I do now is this:

For City driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ buttons on the steering wheel to either 4 or 5. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off.

For Freeway driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ button on the steering wheel to either 7 or 8. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off. (you can just use ERS and leave Tow/Haul off, but I still think it runs through the gears too fast so I prefer Tow/Haul on freeway driving as well.)

For Mountain driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ button on the steering wheel to either 3 or 4. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off. For steeper mountain driving with lots of curves etc, I'll put it in ERS just drive it manually.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
travelin texans

All this shifting & NO clutch either.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
MTBlazer89

I havent driven the newer Ram trucks with MDS, but I love the AFM in my GMC 6.2. On slow windy roads it'll actually stay in 4 cyl mode pulling the trailer around 40 mph. It has a pretty big impact on overall mileage, especially unloaded.
NAVY CHIEF!
MTBlazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #12
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As I mentioned on your other post, I dislike the MDS system. It offers no value to me and is very irritating in operation. I can feel when the cylinders kick out, but worse, it makes the engine sort of "rattle" which irritates me no end. It won't hold in that condition so it kicks out, then kicks in etc. etc. Driving around town at slower speeds is the worst.

The next time I'm in the truck I'm going to try your remedies and HOPEFULLY they work and I can rid myself of the nuisance.
Danny, Did you try any of these below? What do you think?

I know by now that Tow/Haul won't disable the MDS (multi displacement system), only ERS (electronic range selector) will. Tried it on my 1500 truck. If you put it in park or neutral, you have to do ERS all over again. A bit of a hassle, but worth doing to turn off MDS. After awhile it becomes a habit and a lot faster. Letting the tranny run in auto is not good for town driving as it goes through the gears way too fast, (for economy they say) but lugging a engine isn't good for it either. Tow/Haul (which stays on until you shut the engine off or push the button again) holds the shifts much longer upshifting and downshifting. So what I do now is this:

For City driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ buttons on the steering wheel to either 4 or 5. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off.

For Freeway driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ button on the steering wheel to either 7 or 8. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off. (you can just use ERS and leave Tow/Haul off, but I still think it runs through the gears too fast so I prefer Tow/Haul on freeway driving as well.)

For Mountain driving, push the Tow/Haul button then put it in Drive, push the ERS -/+ button on the steering wheel to either 3 or 4. It won't ever go past that setting until you put it in park/neutral/shut the engine off. For steeper mountain driving with lots of curves etc, I'll put it in ERS just drive it manually.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I haven't tried them. I use the truck when we are out traveling (several months a year) then use the SUV primarily when we return here. We haven't got to go anywhere due to medical issues, countless dr. appts. and physical therapy 3 times a week

I'm sure using the ERS will probably fix it, just never thought about doing it. Puppy loves to go for slow evening rides when we are out and about. When just using D and cruising the truck is continually dropping the cylinders out causing the noise and rattling - which irritates me greatly; puppy and DW don't notice it. I'm sure T/H would do the same but I don't really want to run in that mode all the time.

I've got another PT session in about an hour and when I get back I may take the truck out for a little test drive....she needs to get out of the garage anyway
Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I haven't tried them. I use the truck when we are out traveling (several months a year) then use the SUV primarily when we return here. We haven't got to go anywhere due to medical issues, countless dr. appts. and physical therapy 3 times a week
Sorry to hear about the medical issues. I've notice more myself since I've hit the 60's, 65 now. I've hit the fitness center, walk in the evening, stretch in the morning when I get up and more conscience about what and how much I eat. Dropped 22 lbs. Big difference on how I feel. I made all those changes after having hip replacement three years ago (doctor also saying I needed knee replacement soon in 2015) and my blood pressure was at the edge of normal. Now blood pressure is in normal range, my knee feels better, still hurts some, but nowhere as bad. I probably just delayed things, but sure feel better for now. Actually did some hiking last year, not fast, but did it. Here is website and we're going back there next month:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Mt...hLake-2017.htm

I'll say a prayer for you.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
TAZ23

I guess I just don't see the problem with the motor shutting off the cylinders when they are not needed. I have had my truck for almost 3 years, and I don't even notice it unless I'm really paying attention to it. I do know that the tranny is a rough shift if I don't have a substantial payload to haul when in the tow/haul mode. I like mine and will continue to let it operate as designed. To each his own I guess.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
I guess I just don't see the problem with the motor shutting off the cylinders when they are not needed. I have had my truck for almost 3 years, and I don't even notice it unless I'm really paying attention to it. I do know that the tranny is a rough shift if I don't have a substantial payload to haul when in the tow/haul mode. I like mine and will continue to let it operate as designed. To each his own I guess.

I think if you are going from A to B in a city, stop and go traffic etc., or, out on a highway traveling, the MDS is pretty unnoticeable. But, using it as I described earlier; slowly cruising around back roads and streets, it IS noticeable. Then when the cylinders cut, you can't just gently give it a little gas because it just sort of hesitates....as it is rattling along. You have to give it enough to get it out of the deactivated state to gain some speed, slow down a bit, and start all over.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Sorry to hear about the medical issues. I've notice more myself since I've hit the 60's, 65 now. I've hit the fitness center, walk in the evening, stretch in the morning when I get up and more conscience about what and how much I eat. Dropped 22 lbs. Big difference on how I feel. I made all those changes after having hip replacement three years ago (doctor also saying I needed knee replacement soon in 2015) and my blood pressure was at the edge of normal. Now blood pressure is in normal range, my knee feels better, still hurts some, but nowhere as bad. I probably just delayed things, but sure feel better for now. Actually did some hiking last year, not fast, but did it. Here is website and we're going back there next month:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Mt...hLake-2017.htm

I'll say a prayer for you.
My current problems stem from falling down the mountain at our vacation home in the mountains. One of those "working along" kind of things then...what happened!!? Torn rotator cuff and torn ligament on my right shoulder so having to do PT for about 6 weeks to see if we can avoid surgery.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
From over 45 years of owning high performance cars, 5 Corvettes, 4 Camaros, 1 Challenger...
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/jacks-vettes.htm
I've found that lugging an high performance engine is not good for it. I would imagine the same applies for this Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. It's also my understanding that the Ram 5.7 hemi runs best at higher rpm's.

Turning OFF OVERDRIVE while driving in city traffic stops the car/truck from shifting into OVERDRIVE at low speeds "LUGGING".

Shifting to overdrive at slow speeds is COSTING you MPG because you are "LUGGING" the motor, rather than it be in the proper gear!! When "LUGGING" along and you need to speed up your car/truck downshifts and uses more fuel.

So I prefer to shut off overdrive unless driving on a freeway with no hills and shift myself... at the minimum, Tow/Haul with ERS locking out 6,7 in mountains and 4,5,6,7 stoplight driving.

I can't wrap my head around the engine suddenly using only 4 cylinders, especially in the city like Danny said, constant shifting between 4 & 8 cylinders. If I was that worried about gas mileage, I wouldn't have bought a Ram truck with a hemi.

Just my take on this.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #19
RK1978

So with all that complexity, what kind of mileage are you all getting with those trucks? For comparision, my 2007 3500 2WD gets 20-22 empty and 9.5-13.5 pulling trailer. (Cummins 6.7 EGR removed, 6 speed auto)
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK1978 View Post
So with all that complexity, what kind of mileage are you all getting with those trucks? For comparision, my 2007 3500 2WD gets 20-22 empty and 9.5-13.5 pulling trailer. (Cummins 6.7 EGR removed, 6 speed auto)
I'll know more after I try this awhile, especially on my 500 mile upcoming mountain/lake vacation. However, I didn't buy this truck for gas mileage... I got it for pulling performance and efficiency in the mountains where I live here in the NW.