Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
pb_goodness

2016 Floor xlite

I'm looking at a Cougar 2016 xlite 28RBS. It's hard to tell from the website how the floor on this model is constructed. Our previous trailer was a Zeppelin 242 and the layered floor went springy with no visible water damage. I'm comparing it to a Jay Flight 2018 28BHBE that has a plywood floor. The units are similarly equipped but the Keystone is selling for $2000 more. Other than the floor the Zeppelin has been a great trailer for us - we are now in a seasonal spot. Neighbors in the park have suggested to avoid lite weights if I'm just hauling it once - any thoughts?
pb_goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of "compromises" made to construct a "lite" travel trailer. The older, heavier construction isn't as "high tech" and being "ultra lite" is not a "requirement" if you're going to set it on a permanent site. If you've considered the trade in when you sell it, the market spread for potential buyers when you sell it and the use you expect from now until then, and the factors are more toward your enjoyment and not the resale value, then I would recommend a conventional weight travel trailer for "park use". The 5/8" floor is typically more stable than a "sandwich floor", the cabinets and door facings are typically thicker, more durable, the "standard features" such as gas struts on bed storage, switches for overhead lights, larger black/gray and fresh water tanks, larger propane bottles, heavier frame, thicker insulation, larger appliances are just a few of the things you'll get in a "standard weight" trailer and that are often "engineered out" of a "ultra-lite" model.

Heck, just the thickness of the cushions on the dinette and having real doors rather than curtains over openings are significantly different between the two "technologies"....

I'd opt for a "standard weight" if I were looking for a park model.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
pb_goodness

Thanks

Thanks for the reply - I was surprised how close in weight these double over double bunks with two entries were between manufacturers light weight or not. Unfortunately my spot limits on how long a trailer I can squeeze in otherwise I would put a park model in . I was leaning towards the cougar based on research but perhaps it's best to pull up a floor register when I go look at it as the web brochure doesn't mention the floor thickness. I think it is the Weyerhaeuser one piece panel but not sure on the thickness. We average thirty nights over our short season.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't tell you with certainty if the 2016 trailers are the same, but my 2014 Cougar XLite floor from top to bottom is: vinyl or carpet, 1/4" OSB (seamless front to back), 2" block foam with aluminum runners/joists, 1/8" luan, DARCO (waterproof fabric), open space with tanks and a small 2" heat duct, 3/16" coroplast on the bottom.

Along the center of the trailer floor there is a 2x10" aluminum heat duct which is only supported by the 1/4" OSB, so walking on top of that part of the floor is "somewhat spongy"... Otherwise, the floor seems to be "fairly rigid" but it's not as sturdy as our older trailers with 7/8" high density flooring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
pb_goodness

Thanks good to know. My wife and I aren't exactly light of foot More the Oline type than wide receivers. I may be smart to look for a trailer with a more substantial floor. Really like the Cougar though
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We have had no problems with ours and we do use it frequently. There are isolated forum posts about "spongy floors" or "weak spots" but they aren't frequent and they aren't persistent. Only you can decide what you're willing to accept and what is important for your style of camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Eastham

We have the 28 cougar 2016 .have had 9 people in the living room some heavy weights .and hav no one mentioned the floor being spongy also have solid doors on all the cabinets. No curtains on any thing. You can go on keystone web site and the will show exactly how. the floor is designed. I had a four winds classic before the cougar and had to have the floor replaced because it collapsed under t he slide.to get the slide in you had to jack it up about 3 inches to get it past the bad spot about 10 feet of it.then the slide would come in .and this wasnt a xlite trailer.so fa we are very happy with the cougar
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

JMO, but having looked at Jayco's, Jay Flights and many others I would encourage you to dig a little deeper. I'm not a "Keystone fan boy" but I've sure walked through a lot of trailers.

I doubt that the Jay Flight is built any better than a Cougar; and I suspect the Cougar will be built much better from my experience. I recently thought I might want a different trailer and I went to look at the supposed "best" travel trailer Jayco had, an Eagle (bumper pull). My Keystone was much better appointed and solid. My microwave, and oven, is much larger than that in the Jayco. It goes on. Construction was not as good.

My floor does not flex, the Eagle did not flex, the Jay Flights; I didn't pay that much attention to them. Just be sure and do your homework. You said the Keystone is 2k higher....it could be the dealer or it could be you're getting that much more...a Cougar isn't a Jay Flight IMO. YMMV
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
pb_goodness

Awesome thanks guys I like to do my homework and like to hear first hand experiences. I haven't written off the cougar by any means my wife and I will be looking at it next week when we are back in town. So far the Jayco ranked ahead of the Catalina and Revere with similar floor plans that I have been able to go through. cheers

Tags
floor