Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
busterbrown

For emergent roof repairs, which is best?

I'm 8 days away from a Fort Wilderness vacation in Disney with the family. Orlando has the torrential downpours in the late afternoon almost daily, a true litmus test of the trailer's sealed roof. I'd like to be on the ready for a water intrusion event if it happened (knock on wood it won't).

Which would be the better product to take along with me: a tube of Dicor Self-leveling Lap sealant or a roll of Eternabond roof sealant tape?

I want to mitigate any damages for a leaky roof for that 'just in case' scenario.

Also, does anyone know if the roof membrane color is Tan or Ivory on the new Bullet line of trailers? Don't know how radically different the two colors are. I'm guess the 'lighter' Ivory is more matchable to what's up there. I could be wrong though.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can take both to be prepared for whatever may happen, but remember that there are several RV service centers/supply houses in the Orlando area, so realistically, even if you don't take anything, in the event that you should develop a leak, you can buy anything you might need locally.

From my experience, if you check the roof before you leave, chances are very slim that you'll have a leak develop while on the trip (barring any physical damage). The roof and DICOR sealant are extremely reliable (in the "now" time frame) but shouldn't be ignored for years on end. Annual roof checks and maintenance on any questionable spots is usually all that's necessary.

I have never carried DICOR or Ever-bond tape, and since 1972, I've only had one "roof problem" which happened 4 years ago when a tree fell on the trailer punching more than a dozen holes, some the size of a basketball, through the roof. No amount of DICOR or tape would have kept us camping with that kind of damage. Otherwise, I've never had an issue where I needed sealant or tape for the roof while "in the campground"......

I'd save the space for something you'd be more likely to need or want on the trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
busterbrown

That's good to know. I'm just afraid that something would show it's ugly head 1200 miles away. A Camping World near Orlando is a certified dealer so if it was severe, I would utilize the manufacturers warranty. I don't think my trailer has had exposure to any significant downpour since it's manufacture date of March 2016. We've had a very dry summer and I think today was the first time it rained for more than an hour in Michigan.

I may just get a tube of the Dicor for my own peace of mind. Already have the collapsible ladder that we bring every trip.

I will do a thorough roof inspection later in the week. That'll help ease my nerves.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We were in Davisburg over the weekend. Friday evening, when those thunderstorms came through, we got well over an inch of rain before morning. It was probably the wettest weekend we've had all summer, and it was in "your neck of the woods"....

As for your roof, I'd crawl on top, make sure the factory really did seal everything they should have (many people have found places the factory missed) and then, with your personal knowledge that it's properly sealed, I wouldn't look back, just head to Florida and enjoy your vacation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Tbos

The only roof leak we ever had was from a clearance light that had its RTV sealant break loose. I also ran a bead of RTV along the top of the cargo hatch doors. Been dry ever since. Have a safe and fun trip.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
first time 5er

I live 20 minutes form Disney and the weather is not unusual for August.
rains in the afternoon almost everyday but it is hit and miss and usually quick
There are several RV dealerships in the area if you have a problem.

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
first time 5er

By the way check your a/c
you'll need it

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote