Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Nuke

Bullet 30ripr Mattress

After our first four days in our new Ripper, we found that the mattress is, for lack of a better word, crap. It now looks like the ones I've seen in really old houses with a dip on either side where someone has slept for years. DW complains that it is the most uncomfortable thing she's ever seen (I, on the other hand spent 10 years on submarines, so I could sleep on the floor and be perfectly happy). We traded a Forest River for this unit - the mattress on it was great. This one, not so much...

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you treat/fix/replace?

I'm sure that if it is like this with so little use, after this summer, it will be tossed out the window - just hope the DW doesn't toss me along with it!

Thanks in advance!

John
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

John-
If you use the forum's search function, and type in "mattress" you will come up with enough reading material to last you for some time. The mattress topic has been discussed and re-discussed at great lengths here on the forum.

A quick answer to your first question would be "Yes, lots of members have experienced this". The solutions ----- all sorts of replacement ideas for you to browse through.

Good luck and happy reading!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
GaryWT

Most RV mattresses are not good. As bad as our Premier is, it is better than out North Trail which was a spring with a piece of cloth on it. We have a 2 inch foam pad as well as a 2 inch topper to try to make it better. We are on our 3rd year with it. Someday we might get one but we need a short queen which can be hard to find and costly. Went to Sleepy's once and the sales staff looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked if they had short queens or RV mattresses.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Cfoxtrot

Crap...indeed!

We bought a memory foam mattress from overstock.com and threw out the old one. I can't believe the ultra low quality mattress they install in these campers. I cut open the original mattress and it was not even foam, it was made of white batting(kinda like a loose scrub pad).

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
cospilot

i never even took mine out of the plastic wrap! we tossed it in the basement and intend to sell it with the camper when that day comes, still wrapped up!
instead we bought a regular queen memory foam from a local bedding store.
it was a 30 day demo that got returned and the store gave it to us for 200 bucks! regular price was around 400.
i simply added a spacer under it with a piece of plywood and moved the hinged section back (to the foot of the bed) 5 or so inches so the platform that came with the camper that lifted up for the storage under now hangs over the storage compartment another 5 inches.
this way when i sell it i can remove the spacer and put it back exactly how it was with the original mattress.

supposedly the premiere has the memory foam mattress. if there is any such foam in that mattress i sure never felt it.
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
SkyPiGG

We swapped the mattress that came with our Bullet 30RIPR with the one that came with the trailer that we traded in (Cougar X-Lite 26BHS). The Cougar mattress is much more comfortable. It's also heavier, so it added to our hitch weight.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Bowhunter

You spend thousands on a new camper, take a couple hundred and buy a new mattress. It is worth it. We went to Verlo with the measurements and had one made. There are multiple bedding stores out there that make mattresses. Any will do. They told us that it is considered a short queen as well. You need to remember that these are "light weight" trailers. They cut weight whereever they can. We bought ours with our first camper 11yrs ago. I think we paid around $250. It is a regular spring mattress. Remember, there is no need to buy a box spring. We also put the camper mattress in the basement, & put it back in the camper when we sold it, & put the nice bed in our new camper. It is a good sell point that it has not been slept on. Our new mattress has held up great! It doesn't get used as much as a house mattress. It is totally worth the investment! Take it from a chiropractor!

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
...It is a regular spring mattress. Remember, there is no need to buy a box spring...
I've been thinking about box springs (now generally called foundations) as opposed to platforms, which is what the piece of plywood in our camper is. I'm thinking of putting our 3" memory foam topper under the mattress and seeing how we sleep.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Sarvi

I got the perfect harmony mattress topper from camping world. It's 2 inches of memory foam with 2 inches of pillowtop on top of that. It's made a world of difference in how my bed feels. It's so comfortable now!
Sarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Shadowcats

Hey, we've camped for several years with different rigs...no RV mattress is worth anything. Several years ago we invested in a self-inflate Queen air mattress. It's as close to our waterbed as we can get. You can adjust to your liking and it is light weight! We've had our current one for several years and love it. Might want to check in to it. Happy camping!
Old 06-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
ImTravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvi View Post
I got the perfect harmony mattress topper from camping world. It's 2 inches of memory foam with 2 inches of pillowtop on top of that. It's made a world of difference in how my bed feels. It's so comfortable now!

We got to try that out in our 30ripr last weekend, and are very happy with the topper! We finally enjoyed being in bed, instead of waking up sore, woke up and felt great.. Even was able to sleep in. The topper (picked up on sale at CW) was a wise investment. We got it for about $100 on sale a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Nuke

30ripr Mattress

X2 on the Perfect Harmony from CW. We bought ours two weeks ago and have spent a week on the new topper. What a world of difference. For under a hundred bucks - and to top it off, the dealer gave us a hundred dollar toward the purchase. We're happy with the results!

Can't wait to go out again for another week!

John
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
GaryWT

Well we finally upgraded this year to a Denver RV short queen foam. It is very night, 11 inches think so it is a little higher than the old one.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote