Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
ajohnston78

Cougar vs carbon

What are the differences between the 2 as far as price and quality. R values....etc
ajohnston78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnston78 View Post
What are the differences between the 2 as far as price and quality. R values....etc
You might ask Keystone, I'm not sure that the R values of insulation are on the Carbon, nor have I seen them advertised. I know you could get an insulation package on the Cougar and it's not going to have the ramp door, which may mean the Cougar is insulated better.

The general construction techniques will be the same.
Price: what models are you looking at?
Options may be different - dealers often confuse "quality" with options. The Carbon doesn't have a lot of the fancy gizmos of the upper end toy haulers.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
1jeep

And this was what attracted me to the carbon, I didn't need 10 leveling arms that automatically adjust with the earths movement, nor did I need a 24 cubic foot Viking fridge.
That is just more crap to break and so far our carbon has been great. as for r value, I have no idea I don't camp in the winter.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
dcg9381

For some of us, it's the R value that keeps out the heat in the summer that's important. Our Carbon has done pretty well in the heat, dunno the R value...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
firekat96

Couldn't agree more 1jeep, takes me a whole 1 minute to level ours on a bad day. Not sure what the R value is but I do know that after camping this past week in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains when it was in the upper 20*s at night I need a small space heater to supplement the garage area. The unit heated extremely well but to get the garage fairly warm the rest of the camper would be like a sauna. I'm not even sure this is only a Carbon issue because I know of other models that have the same issues with heating and cooling the garage. Nevertheless we love our Carbon.

2006 Dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 Laramie
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
1jeep

I guess I would have to assume the r value would be similar to the other keystone trailers. During the summer we had a few days that were in the mid 90's and humid, both ac units running and the trailer was very cool.
Last weekend in NH the temps dipped into the 20's at night and we found it to be very toasty in there, but we leave the garage door open so the heat can transfer even though there is a duct in there.

As for options compared to the "higher end" keystone toyhaulers, well we came from an older outback TT that had crank handles on each corner and oh my how did I ever use that manual opening awning! So when we got a few nice things on the carbon like electric awning and a slightly larger fridge we were very happy.
I still use a cooler outside for the adult beverages....some old habits will never change!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
BlueknightWI

I would just point out to not overlook the Impact line. It is middle of the road between Carbon and Raptor/Fuzion lines. We love ours.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
1jeep

from what I saw the impact was very similar to the carbon in features, for us it came down to the dealer having a carbon we liked in stock and made us a price we couldn't walk away from. If I recall the impact 341 and our carbon 327 were the same floor plan and even same wood flooring. But there were no impact dealers near us, actually our dealer only sells raptor but ordered this one for someone else that couldn't get financing....or so they story went.

We didn't even consider a cougar because they didn't come with a full 12' garage.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
hdxbonez

The wife and I are very happy with our Cougar. We feel that it has more than enough amenities for the price point. Since taking delivery this past April, we've placed it on our vacation property in New Hampshire, and stayed in it about 50 nights so far. The single A/C has been sufficient to handle summer temps, and the "Polar Package" should help with winter cold. We intend to use it year round. Because I have electric service on my lot, I do run an oil filled electric radiator in the garage area on the colder nights, it helps to maintain temps and reduce propane use. I should note that the camper domestic water system is winterized, but we continue to utilize the waste tanks, and drain them before leaving.