Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
kippy

Unhappy loss of 110 elec ps driving me nuts

2014 fuzion 342 toy... loss of elec power in 120v plug recepticles in living, kitchen, bath rooms. Thought it was gfic,changed gfic , it did not help. Is there more than 1 gfic plug that i am missing. No tripped circuit breakers, all fuses are good.
Is there an obi 1 kenobe out there who can help me. Thanks. Kip

Ps i had 120 on my bare hot and neutral wires before installing new gfic but, no power gfic after

PROBLEM SOLVED, THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTBUTED, ESPECIALLY PARAPTOR
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely you have 50A service. Have you verified power on both "legs"? just throwing stuff out there from the other side of the country.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
raineman

I have 2 small switches on my generator next to the start button on the actual generator. I had the same issue (dead outlets) and found that one of the switches was not set . Once that was switched my plugs worked again.

The dealer mentioned that the switch has something to do with being used when plugged in to shore power and running the generator. Admittedly, I didn't understand what he meant. Why would anyone run the generator while plugged into shore power?
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Based on the plugs you have mentioned such as kitchen and bathrooms and whatever sounds like a GFI circuit. Strange you did not mention the outside plug I would suspect that is not working also. With that second bath in the garage not sure if they would install a second GFI or just chain onto the other GFI? You mentioned that when you changed the GFI you had measured 120VAC from Black(hot) to White (neutral) which means you have a hot feed to that GFI what you could have done is checked the load side of the GFI for power and at that time and also tried the trip circuit. As you may know these plugs are daisy chained (in/out) therefore similar to the old serial Christmas tree lights, one bad connection in the string of plugs will disable power to those down stream.

There have been members noting loose connections on the back of receptacles. You may have to remove each of those plugs and check the connections on each. If it was me I would check the outside one first due to the environment it is in compared to others
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Raineman, I think what you are referring to is the two 30 AMP Breakers on the ONAN and yes I have seen mine tripped (twice since I have owned my unit), Tech said he had seen that before and he thought it had to do with the startup sequence???? Never happened again so I have not worried about it. And yes if that breaker is tripped there will be no generator power feed to that leg of the rig

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
kippy

Unhappy lost power

I have 250 volt coming in, my gen. Switches were both on, oil full, front ac works,rear ac does not, fridge and micro wave both work. The only plugs working are, 2 in bedroom and 1 in cargo bay,all other including are not working,.
Thanks to chuckster,raineman,paraptor for replying. Kip
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

With the additional information you supplied sounds like its not just a few plugs. The second AC is generally on a separate leg than the first with some plugs etc. Since you are measuring something 240 VAC I assume you have some knowledge of electricity therefore I would open the power distribution panel and make sure you have 120VAC on both legs and while there check the output of all breakers on either leg. Sounds like you are missing 120VAC on one leg.

What are you connected to shore power or generator? Have you tried both ? Same results?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
kippy

Unhappy loss of power

On shore 50 amp , generator turns over but does not start. Thought i would take all 110 plugs apart, i feel like i have an open line someware. Trying to figure out where to start.its tough when you are not sure what your doing . Thanks kip
Old 03-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
kd5rhl

First does this happen on more than one 50 amp. Shore power connections. If no then the
Problem could be a open leg on the shore power side. If it happens on more than one the problem is most likely on the trailer side. I would make sure you have 120 V on both sides of the distribution panel in the garage, if not there are a few things that could be the problem. Check and make sure you have 220 V on top of main breaker in that panel. If yes you may have a bad main breaker. If no and the shore power is good and has 220V then you could have an open leg in your shore power cord or a problem with the transfer switch. This switches between shore power and generator could have an open phase in it. Good luck and be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kd5rhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
kippy

Unhappy lost power

Where is the transfer switch located. Thanks. Kip
Old 03-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
Where is the transfer switch located. Thanks. Kip

Transfer switch should be inside the trailer, probably behind a panel where the shore cord is attached.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
With the additional information you supplied sounds like its not just a few plugs. The second AC is generally on a separate leg than the first with some plugs etc. Since you are measuring something 240 VAC I assume you have some knowledge of electricity therefore I would open the power distribution panel and make sure you have 120VAC on both legs and while there check the output of all breakers on either leg. Sounds like you are missing 120VAC on one leg."
Makes no sense to start checking plugs if you do not have 120VAC on the two legs in the Power panel. Can start in any order checking power before or after the main breaker. May even want to switch that main breaker on and off. If you have do not have 120VAC on both legs on the top of the main breaker you have two choices you can start checking at the CS pedestal female plug and work toward the transfer switch or start at transfer switch and go toward the pedestal checking for 120VAC on both legs. I would start at the pedestal.

The transfer switch is usually located near the generator, in the Raptor its on the storage wall opposite side of the generator and Batteries. Let me emphasis if you are not familiar with electricity and or working around it I would get someone to help you especially in the transfer switch, there is a circuit board in there and 120VAC terminals and contactors along with it being in a confined area (storage compartment).

There have been recalls on transfer switches.

As stated, if you have power at the bottom of the main breaker while you are there check the output of each breaker. Then and only then proceed the to checking the loads on each breaker

Be careful

EDIT: Checking the transfer switch would be similar to checking the main breaker. Check that the terminals marked shore for 120VAC on both legs and the terminals marked power distribution(rig) again has the correct power. the other terminal set is for the generator. If you do not have power on both legs on the terminals marked shore power than it is on to the CS pedestal.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
On shore 50 amp , generator turns over but does not start. Thought i would take all 110 plugs apart, i feel like i have an open line someware. Trying to figure out where to start.its tough when you are not sure what your doing . Thanks kip
A little off topic but you mentioned your generator would not start. Just a comment, with this crappy gas we have and for other reasons I try and run my ONAN 5500 around once a month under load for a couple hours. Good time to put some charge on the batteries.

Gets expensive to fix these generators if they get gummed up.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
kippy

kip

I did get generator,operator malfunction, in my elec panel i have a constant green light flashing is this normal. I have a 15 gmc sierra drw 4x4 duramax long bed with about 7,000 miles,towing 16,000 lbs. Getting 8 miles mpg. Wil i get an increase as it breaks in if so any idea how much. ball park. Also i have a antenna connection in bed room closet with a red blinking light next to it,no idea what it is for. By the way if i am asking toomany questions or becoming a pest let me know i can handle it. Rainy day in fla. Panhandle, nothing getting done . Have a nice day. Kip
Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
kd5rhl

kippy my transfer sw on our 2014 342 is located in the drivers side storage bay. It is the gray box mounted on the front wall behind the propane compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kd5rhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Blrmaker

Quote:
2014 fuzion 342 toy... loss of elec power in 120v plug recepticles in living, kitchen, bath rooms. Thought it was gfic,changed gfic , it did not help. Is there more than 1 gfic plug that i am missing. No tripped circuit breakers, all fuses are good.
Is there an obi 1 kenobe out there who can help me. Thanks. Kip

Ps i had 120 on my bare hot and neutral wires before installing new gfic but, no power gfic after

PROBLEM SOLVED, THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTBUTED, ESPECIALLY PARAPTOR
So what was your problem and how did you fix it?

I found this thread today after I found I had a similar problem. I had to scroll through 8 pages to find it, .

I am in a small RV campground in New Athens IL for the next two months. I arrived on Monday. Today my microwave, 2nd air conditioner, and 1/2 of the outlets in the hauler went out. First I found this thread then I went to town to purchase a voltage meter. I then started with the CG power and worked my way toward the camper. I disconnected the 50 amp cord and fired up the generator which worked flawlessly. I checked the female end of the 50 amp cord and found that one of the legs was bent down in the plug itself (Ah hah!). As a temporary fix, I bent the corresponding spade on the RV inward to get full contact.

Now I need to get an electrician to fix the female end of the cord.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. Thank all of you for the tips. You not only helped the OP but others in need as well.

2011 Fuzion 412 Touring edition III #34 of 50
'19 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
Blrmaker is offline   Reply With Quote