Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Learle73

Passport bumper weight limits

I just bought a 2015 Keystone Passport 3320BH. I kept asking the guys at the dealer and no one could seem to tell me what the weight restrictions on the rear bumper are. There is a spare tire on there already and I was just looking to add a bike rack with a couple bikes. Just want to be safe, any thoughts?
Learle73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
ls1mike

I don't have an answer, but I did want to do it. To much bouncing around back there. I have seen other TT break the welds there. I have contemplated putting a hitch on the back designed for a bike rack.

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learle73 View Post
There is a spare tire on there already and I was just looking to add a bike rack with a couple bikes. Just want to be safe, any thoughts?
If I were you, I wouldn't add a bike rack - in addition to the spare tire - with two bikes to the bumper. I would recommend that you weld a receiver hitch to the frame then add a "real bike rack" such as those made by Thule or Yakima.
Some will say that they have added a bolt-on type bike rack and have carried a couple of bikes "without any issues". The bumper is flimsy at best and is not made to withstand the stress and weight of a spare tire plus the rack plus two bikes. If, as you say, you "want to be safe", then forego the bolt-on bike rack and "get it done right".
Old 05-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #4
{tpc}

I think the bouncing is the biggest factor. On my unit, the bumper isn't part of the frame...its bolted to the frame on each side. Now mine has the spare and the grill holder. It has been fine with those two items.

I suppose if you took all that off, weighed it, and then weighed the bikes and rack, if it was less or the same, it MIGHT hold it. The issue is that area is probably the one the sees the most "bounce" and bikes on bike racks aren't necessarily "fixed" into position...so they just add to the constant bouncing factor.

My plan, eventually, is to get a receiver welded onto the frame and bumper so it will be strong enough to support everything. The way michigan roads are, anything less might snap the bumper off. Actually surprised it is still hanging in there with the tire on lol. It's like washboard dirt roads..but they are paved...well somewhat paved?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
bsmith0404

I've had a receiver on all of my 5ers with receiver type bike racks. The bounce is the biggest issue and will cause more problems than you would ever expect.

I started with a "heavy duty" bike rack from Walmart. After a couple hundred miles with 3 kids bikes and the bounce, the rack bent and we almost lost the bikes.

I then purchased this heavy duty Swagman 4 bike rack from Cabelas. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Swagm...&Ntt=bike+rack

The main bar on that rack was 1.5" tube (I believe). I thought there is no way this thing is going to bend. Well after a 1,000 mile trip with 3 bikes, it was also bent. Not bad enough to lose the bikes, but still bent.

We now have this Hollywood Racks 4 bike platform rack and have not had a problem over a couple thousand miles. http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ks/HR1400.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I've had a receiver on all of my 5ers with receiver type bike racks. The bounce is the biggest issue and will cause more problems than you would ever expect.

I started with a "heavy duty" bike rack from Walmart. After a couple hundred miles with 3 kids bikes and the bounce, the rack bent and we almost lost the bikes.

I then purchased this heavy duty Swagman 4 bike rack from Cabelas. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Swagm...&Ntt=bike+rack

The main bar on that rack was 1.5" tube (I believe). I thought there is no way this thing is going to bend. Well after a 1,000 mile trip with 3 bikes, it was also bent. Not bad enough to lose the bikes, but still bent.

We now have this Hollywood Racks 4 bike platform rack and have not had a problem over a couple thousand miles. http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ks/HR1400.html
How is your receiver attached to the bumper? Is it a U-bolt style?

Is the bumper on your fiver already welded to the frame as in, one piece? Or is it attached like on our passports, with bolts on each side?

Just wondering. I mean if the bumper is just attached with bolts, yours is the first I have read that has given positive reviews of doing this. I would really like to know how it is set up.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Bolted and welded to the frame. I wouldn't attach anything to the bumper.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
GaryWT

I have heard the weight of 200 pounds tossed around but the force of the bounce will add to the total actual weight so you could have issues. The bikes would also be further off the bumper which acts as greater force. Best to look at other ways.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
CampDestinations.com

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile, and after seeing countless pictures of broken bumper welds with bikes dragging the ground I think I'll pass. But another consideration with the 3220BH in particular - these trailers already have a very light tongue weight as it is, and we get the most stable towing when loading as much of our gear as possible on the front bed. Adding a hitch + bike rack + several bikes could easily be 100 additional pounds behind the axles. That downward force on the back bumper is pushing the tongue up and lightening the front even more.

I've been thinking about one of these bike bunks from Camping World instead. Every time I'm ready to buy something else comes up - this time around my hot water heater (bummed!) but eventually I'll give it a go:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FYUUHwodWxUAFg
Old 05-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
robo

Hay i owed a 13 3220 to be honest i would not add it there i would u bolt a mount on the front (toungue) area above propane bottles if i needed to add one but this is what i use the bed of my truck box for

If int look at all my mods
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #11
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
This is something I've been thinking about for awhile, and after seeing countless pictures of broken bumper welds with bikes dragging the ground I think I'll pass. But another consideration with the 3220BH in particular - these trailers already have a very light tongue weight as it is, and we get the most stable towing when loading as much of our gear as possible on the front bed. Adding a hitch + bike rack + several bikes could easily be 100 additional pounds behind the axles. That downward force on the back bumper is pushing the tongue up and lightening the front even more.

I've been thinking about one of these bike bunks from Camping World instead. Every time I'm ready to buy something else comes up - this time around my hot water heater (bummed!) but eventually I'll give it a go:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FYUUHwodWxUAFg
Thats interesting. I think someone in another post suggested something similar. I suppose that might work if only carrying 2 or 3 bikes. That is also if you can afford the extra tongue weight.

That rack only holds 100 lbs. My bike rack is about 30 lbs. If each bike weighs 25 lbs, with 2 bikes your quite near the max at 80 lbs. The rack itself is at 50 lbs. So thats about an extra 130. If your pushing 650 on the tongue (13% of 5k), that number probably goes up considerably since it is so far forward.