Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #21
sptddog

Resurrecting this because it seems after the dealer repaired it, we have the issue again. So, I'll throw out more of what I know and see if any of you are able to offer ideas.

We took it to the dealer after our maiden voyage, and they said there was a wire behind the GFI outlet that wasn't wired correctly. When they fixed that, it corrected the issue. When it was down, nothing on that entire 'line' of the 50 amp service worked (fridge, outlets, 2nd air conditioner, washer/dryer etc). We used the camper in Williamsburg for 5 days with NO issues - everything worked perfectly. Brought it home, and at one point was cleaning up and doing some work in it at home. Ran the generator for a bit. I didn't use anything on those outlets or that 'line' while on generator power (just lights and the radio). Switched off the generator. Went to a campground this weekend, and low and behold, same issue - one entire line didn't work at all. Not on shore power nor genny power.

So....I'm thinking maybe there is an issue with the transfer switch? Is it possible that after using the generator that line doesn't 'transfer' back? Seems unlinkely in some ways, because it doesn't work on generator power or shore power once it's down.

Certainly a possibility that there might be a short somewhere behind the GFI, and I'll let the dealer look for that, but I was just looking for other experiences and/or thoughts. The most notable factor is the swtch between shore power and generator power.

One last question....the first time this happened, I was on 50 amp service with no power issues at the campground power box (they checked voltage) and the line didn't work on generator power. After dealer corrected the wiring, all worked normally on 50 amp service at Williamsburg campground. This time we were on 30 amp service. I initially though perhaps that entire line was down because of the lack of power. I thought though that things should work on both lines, but trip the breaker if we ran two air conditioners etc or otherwise use too much power? Also, unplugged, flipped breakers on that line, and ran the generator, and that line still didn't work. Once the short is there, or whatever trips it, it doesn't work at all.

Dealer says only thing they did was pull the GFI, correct wiring and everything worked. Seems weird that the GFI issue kills the entire line, but I guess everything is wired behind it.

Any advice or thoughts to have the dealer look for? I'm leaving for Nashville June 4th, and I'm praying the dealer can get it in.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote