Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
navyav8tr

Fuzion 390 electrical issues

Pulled it out of storage yesterday and the electrical issues I am troubleshoot are driving me nuts. First the battery is in great shape.
Pulled it in to de winterize and both slides came out. Put out the front awning and the second awning came out 2/3 if the way and stopped. Now the two side awnings won't come in at all and one of the slides won't retract either. It is like all power has been cut to these items. The patio awning on the back still works fine though.
Checked the fuse panel and everything looks fine. It is still under warranty but I am trying to look for any ideas that anyone might have. Thanks!
navyav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyav8tr View Post
Pulled it out of storage yesterday and the electrical issues I am troubleshoot are driving me nuts. First the battery is in great shape.
Pulled it in to de winterize and both slides came out. Put out the front awning and the second awning came out 2/3 if the way and stopped. Now the two side awnings won't come in at all and one of the slides won't retract either. It is like all power has been cut to these items. The patio awning on the back still works fine though.
Checked the fuse panel and everything looks fine. It is still under warranty but I am trying to look for any ideas that anyone might have. Thanks!
Sounds like you have blown fuse(s) and in a previous thread looks like those devices are fused from main batteries not power distribution panel in Fuzions
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Did you try using the remote control? There are two circuits for powering anything connected to the remote. The battery provides power through a series of fuses/auto-reset breakers for manual operation, but the remote control provides its own direct power from the battery bypassing those breakers. I'm guessing during the winter, one of the 30 amp DC breakers mounted on the bulkhead near the battery corroded and when it overheated yesterday, it now won't reset. Which one? who knows. but the remote should still work to get you back in travelling mode.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Did you try using the remote control? There are two circuits for powering anything connected to the remote. The battery provides power through a series of fuses/auto-reset breakers for manual operation, but the remote control provides its own direct power from the battery bypassing those breakers. I'm guessing during the winter, one of the 30 amp DC breakers mounted on the bulkhead near the battery corroded and when it overheated yesterday, it now won't reset. Which one? who knows. but the remote should still work to get you back in travelling mode.
JOHN, IF remote bypasses the breakers and supplies its out power where is that fused? Not familiar with these remotes are they hand held or is this a general term for a remote central panel or both. Also in some posts thought I read people stating if they used remote the manual switch did not work.

Can you explain or point me toward some info, circuit diagram would be better

Thanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On my Cougar and on a number of other models that members have reported, the wireless remote control operates a "brain" that is located in the forward compartment. This "brain" contains relays and other switching devices to operate various functions. It is wired directly to the battery and bypasses the wiring for the manual switches to those functions so any fuses or breakers for that wiring is not a part of the wireless system.

On mine, the wireless remote operates both slides, the front gear, the awning and the front lights.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On my Cougar and on a number of other models that members have reported, the wireless remote control operates a "brain" that is located in the forward compartment. This "brain" contains relays and other switching devices to operate various functions. It is wired directly to the battery and bypasses the wiring for the manual switches to those functions so any fuses or breakers for that wiring is not a part of the wireless system.

On mine, the wireless remote operates both slides, the front gear, the awning and the front lights.
Okay so its an actual hand held remote. Have not seen any on Raptors? My question using the same terminology was if brain function lines were fused feeding the different functions? Your discription did not mention any. Unless I am reading this incorrectly the brain wiring to the function bypasses it fuse? So I was asking where is fuses for brain function lines? Not doubting you but would have expected that the function protection (fuse/breaker) would be the same if powered via a manual switch or by the brain?

Then again either your explanation or my expectation would not explain "if turned off by remote can not be controlled by manual switch?

Is there any brain docs on line?

Thanks.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You've got the "if turned off" part backwards.... If it is turned on by the remote, it won't function in the manual mode..... If turned off by the remote, the manual function will operate.

I haven't dug around in my front compartment very much, so I can't tell you if there are separate fuses for the functions that the brain controls or not. I'd guess that there has to be some kind of protective circuit, but whether it's circuit breakers on the brain board or if there's a bank of fuses (doubtful) along side the brain main panel???? I do know that once the remote starts to control a function, the manual system is disabled and ceases to function until the remote returns the function to the "off" position.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
JOHN, Also in some posts thought I read people stating if they used remote the manual switch did not work.

Can you explain or point me toward some info, circuit diagram would be better

Thanks
PARAPTOR -

Let's not forget about the issue that the OP asked for assistance in solving and try to focus in on his problem. If you're looking for some technical information and an explanation to answer questions you asked in the above 2 posts about a "brain" and the remote it controls, perhaps you could start your own new and separate thread rather than "hijacking" his. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
Sam8923

On my 2014 390 chrome there 2 additional fuses in front pass through compartment. Kind of hard to see by just looking in. They connect to what looks like the wireless remote receiver, which is mounted to the top of the compartment. Not near my trailer or I would pull them and see if I could duplicate your problem.
Sam8923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
navyav8tr

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I do not have a wireless remote for my 2013 Fuzion 390. I am going to have to root around and look for the fuses coming off the main battery.
We are headed to Disney in two weeks so I am trying wring her out before hitting the road. Unfortunately there won't be any hitting the road if everything is still stuck out.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyav8tr View Post
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I do not have a wireless remote for my 2013 Fuzion 390. I am going to have to root around and look for the fuses coming off the main battery.
We are headed to Disney in two weeks so I am trying wring her out before hitting the road. Unfortunately there won't be any hitting the road if everything is still stuck out.
With three functions not operating would have to guess there are feed from a single fuse/breaker as others have said located in the battery compartment area rather than individual fuses. John had put out a picture of an in line fuse for the frount landing gear. Just looked like a small connection along the wire. Cap on it to keep moisture out and regular auto fuse inside. I have not crawled around in mine yet to see different devices used for protection such as fuses, 12V breakers etc. Sorry do have have pictures of different protection devices may want to do google search to get an idea of all different types. Have an enjoyable trip "bouncey
John, thanks got in now in my eyes very bad design for two point control but cheap!!! :
That is way we have three way switches in homes for two way control
eek:

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
navyav8tr

Well figured out the problem. I had an awning replaced and this was the fix that the dealership did to attach the wiring. When it was extending it was pulling on these wires, not to mention there are completely crimped, and was causing a fuse to blow.
Nothing like a crappy "fix" to cause so many problems.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Great

Good Job finding it, now a days you almost have to be watching people doing these repairs. I see that wiring what arm was that on? Thanks for sharing your findings and pictures. This is how we learn from one another

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
navyav8tr

If you are looking at the camper the wiring is on the right arm. I am thinking the wiring may actually be for the led lighting strip on the awning. Either way it is under warranty and I am dropping it off first thing tomorrow morning and having them fix it. Seems like every warranty item I take it in for, two more come back out.
Oh well the fun and games

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift

Retired US Navy S-3B Viking and F/A-18C Hornet Pilot
F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet Simulator Instructor