Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
ADQ K9

Disney World RV park How far out? Info?

Was playing around today kind of planning a trip. in late October of next year. The RV park @ Disney World was booked Oct 22-28 was the time I put in. Was kind of suprised, almost a year out, not a school holiday that I know of, etc. Just how far out do these reservations have to be made? If you have stayed there what was your expirence?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Buck1032

Booking Ft Wilderness fills up quickly. We have camped there 4 of the past 5 years. We have gotten lucky sliding our dates up or back a day or so can help booking. This year we reserved a site as soon as the Fall Break school schedule was published for 2019.
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
ADQ K9

Buck1032,
Thank you, might check on a cabin, not sure on any real dates yet. I take it you like it if you keep going back.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
Buck1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Buck1032,
Thank you, might check on a cabin, not sure on any real dates yet. I take it you like it if you keep going back.
Yes, we very much like the campground. Ft Wilderness is a beautifully laid out and well maintained campground. The sites are spaced well and there is a decent amount of vegetation between sites. There are a lot of things to do in the campground itself that could keep you busy and the family entertained. We have stayed in the 800, 900 and 1300 loops. This year we were at the very last site on the 1300 loop and I think that has been our favorite shot yet.

If you have young kids the campground has movies and character appearances as well as archery, horseback riding and other activities.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
ADQ K9

Just a teenager and 25 yo, I've never been to FL(43/50 states) let alone Disney World. like I said just looking at options and planning next years trip down south.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Buck1032

We first went down to Disney when our son was in 2nd grade and did all the parks. He is now 12 and we skip Magic Kingdom and most of Epcot (we only go there for the aquarium). That leaves us Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom to tour. This year and last year we have been splitting our time between Disney and Universal. We keep telling ourselves that one year we will go down and just spend time at the campground. But as of yet our son has other ideas. LOL

Keep checking back as cancellations do happen and trying to slide your days for reservations up or down helps.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
BlueJay Traveler

Our family enjoys staying at Fort Wilderness. We have also stayed at several of Disney's hotels but we find we spend a lot less money when we are at Fort Wilderness. Don't get me wrong, you pay a hefty price to camp here but it is worth it. You get to eat, sleep, and bath in your own home! My one piece of advice for you: you need to schedule time (a day off) to stay enjoy the campground.
BlueJay Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
ajk170

ADq K9 - We've stayed at Fort Wilderness for years and we love it. The DW normally books it 12-18 months out with 12 being the absolute minimum. Like others have suggested, take a day or two off from the parks to just enjoy Fort Wilderness and Disney Springs (formerly known as Downtown Disney. We normally vacation there with family so we have two or three spots in the same loop. It can be a little hard to get side-by-side spots, but if you work with the front gate people at check-in it can be done. My DW and her family have been doing Disney World since she was a kid and they've done all the different ways and swear Fort Wilderness is the most economical for lodging. Plus, since we all have dogs, Fort Wilderness is the only way to do it. Plus, It's considered a Magic Kingdom resort so you get all the benefits associated with that (reservation, dining options, extra magic hours etc). The Trails End restaurant in Fort Wilderness is a good place for breakfast and to get a drink during the day/evening - I personally love the walk-up bar window that they have there. Pools are ok and they have a neat evening sing-along with Chip and Dale - so that's great if you have kids. There is the Hoopty-Do-Review, it's ok once, but that's about it. Tons of water activities, but no swimming in the Seven Seas Lagoon for obvious alligator reasons. Transportation to the parks is good, buses and boats or you can drive- which is normally the fastest way to get to the other parks like Epcot, H/S or Animal Kingdom. We personally like to take the bikes and bike ride around the entire campground and admire other people's set-ups to get ideas on how to do things better/differntly. We've met people that just go there for the camp ground in Central FL and never go into Disney. Plus at night, you can go down to the water front and see some of the MK's fireworks and "Magic Lights display on the water"- it's a floating barge that is a light show with music.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
ADQ K9

Thank you all for the replies.
Doesn't look like it is in the cards this year but there is always 2020. I will keep it on the back burner. We will probably be spending more time in the Washington DC area again this year come October.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
busterbrown

We've been to the Fort three times now. Getting a booking prior or during the major holidays can be challenging. Competitive times are several weeks before Halloween until after Jan 1st. Then spring break, usually between late Feb through the end of April. Stays during the late summer to early fall period will almost guarantee you a site. Florida schools are in session (a good thing) but you'll have deal with potential threatening storms and oppressive heat (afternoon showers are a welcome). Two years ago, we visited late August and booked 2 weeks prior. They had plenty of open sites in the premium loops. We could have just showed up without a booking if we wanted.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
ADQ K9

Busterbrown,
We are kind of stuck in that time frame. The 15YO goes to national TKD tournament in KY always the 3rd weekend in OCT. After the tournament we take a week usually and go have fun somewhere else or see friends/family or a combination of both.