Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
rogermack50

TV, cable internet died no power

Does anyone have the fuse box , i.e. what fuse does what for the 2019 Avalanche 320 5th wheel. I lost power to TV, so lost internet also etc, funny that the radio/dvd has power. It was cold this morning so turned on fireplace...after 6 hours running both died. I checked and turned off / on 50 amp at post.
rogermack50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
xrated

TV is 120 volt AC. The radio/DVD is 12 volt DC. I don't know about the fireplace, my Toy Hauler doesn't have one. Check all of your 120 volt breakers at the breaker box in the trailer. As far as the DVD/radio and the fireplace go, did you run your battery down possibly? If you are plugged into shore power, the converter/charger should not have let that happen....if it did.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
rogermack50

Of course as soon as i posted this 5 minutes later the power to tv etc came back on before i did too much damage..it seems like it was a RV park problem, but not sure..but i would still like to know what each fuse in box does for next problem time, i was using my cell ph when i posted this so could not get a good look at keystone support site to see iif it was listed there....Thank you for the quick reply...
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

First thought from your post....you DO have an EMS protecting your RV...right? It would have told you immediately if you had a power problem from the park and protected you (your equipment) from any voltage drop, spike, intermittent power etc. - along with saving you a lot of time and worry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
rogermack50

Nope, no EMS protection...expensive and i just paid 50k for RV, 32k for truck in Aug, so have to watch my money...will look into it for perhaps a future purchase. No one that i know that RV's or met on the road or in parks owns one either...though i have only been doing this since Aug..
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

X2 .. on the EMS system, if you do not have one I highly suggest looking into one. A quick search on the Forum will provide information pro and con on the various systems/manufactures. In regard to fuse (12VDC) and breakers (110VAC) identification, usually they are not marked and in a lot of cases if they are they are wrong. In order to get the true identification of each of these I suggest you take some time and pull each fuse and throw each breaker one at a time and then record what device went off. Full proof method, if you have not already pick up some spare fuses including inline.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermack50 View Post
Nope, no EMS protection...expensive and i just paid 50k for RV, 32k for truck in Aug, so have to watch my money...will look into it for perhaps a future purchase. No one that i know that RV's or met on the road or in parks owns one either...though i have only been doing this since Aug..

With that kind of investment in hour RV/truck $300 is kind of a drop in the bucket. Do you know what they look like? In this particular park where I'm sitting, the units on either side of me have one and the 2 I can see in front of me have one. I do know that when I go to some place like a deer camp and folks bring in their small hunting trailers the use of them drops to near zero, but, they don't have a 50k trailer. To each his own but you just got a quick view of how it could have helped you with the outage. Thankfully the power glitch didn't destroy your AC, microwave, TV, various control boards etc. (one or all of them). Hopefully you will have the time in the near future to allocate funds for one before something happens that costs you far more than an EMS would. Sorry, off my soap box now.....
Old 11-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
notanlines

Roger, what they said! If it didn’t hurt so much I’d tell you our tale of woe from an Rv Park surge in South Dakota.....microwave, tv, and toaster oven.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Spending another couple hundred dollars or so depending on type and manufacture is extremely cheap insurance to protect that 50K RV investment. Something to consider. For examples of what can happen without one, try searching this forum By the way just because you do not see one hanging on the pedestal (portable) does not mean an Rv owner does not have one, some are hardwired internal units.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Logan X

I agree with the others on the need for EMS protection. Is is relatively a very small cost to protect a large investment.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
bobbecky

We used a surge arrester for a long time, thinking I would install an EMS eventually. Well, eventually finally happened, after a voltage problem from a utility problem when a tree fell across the lines. Lost both satellite boxes. After replacing the boxes, I purchased a hardwired Progressive EMS that has the remote display. It has saved our rig a number of times from missing grounds, missing neutral, and bad voltage, high and low. $300 or $400 is chump change compared to the damage that can be done by voltage issues, especially with all the electronics in these rigs that are very sensitive to the slightest voltage deviation. Don't wait until you have experienced several hundred to several thousand dollars of damage that could have been avoided with one of these devices.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Spending another couple hundred dollars or so depending on type and manufacture is extremely cheap insurance to protect that 50K RV investment. Something to consider. For examples of what can happen without one, try searching this forum By the way just because you do not see one hanging on the pedestal (portable) does not mean an Rv owner does not have one, some are hardwired internal units.

I failed to mention this in my earlier post. There are 2 Winnebago Journey Class A 350 diesels in the row in front of me about 4 spaces apart. One is right in front of me. His EMS is inside. I did not ask if it was factory or not. I suspect the other is the same - pretty nice units. So, as paraptor said, just because you don't see it on the ped doesn't mean they don't have one.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and get the EMS. In the long run it will save you money. We had to replace our converter and our aftermarket blu-ray player because I hooked our trailer into a friend's home made extension cord which was miswired. The converter cost more that the EMS would have. I have one now!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Do you have insurance on all that expensive stuff? The EMS will protect your electronics, think of it as insurance that you only have to pay for one time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
travelin texans

From our experiences the last 10 years across this great land, the ONLY time I wouldn't connect my EMS, mines portable, is if we weren't needing electricity, otherwise will NEVER EVER power up without it.
It won't do anything for your 32k truck, but could save you several thousands of $$ replacing electronic equipment in that 50k rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
vmyoung61

Quote:
$300 to protect that $50,000 RV is cheap insurance.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
ChuckS

A good EMS protector would be a nice Christmas gift to you and your RV.. its the first thing I do when pulling into a new spot. The surge protector gets plugged in and I verify the AC pedestal is wired correctly and good line voltage. Well worth the small investment to protect several thousands of dollars worth of electronics

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If you are really good you can possibly even request an EMS with a monitor preferably a remote one from Santa. Not only will you have protection you will have a tool for trouble shooting. Example: Is the electrical portion of my HWT working. Watch the monitor for overall current consumption as you turn the electric portion of the HWT on and off.

Excellent request to Santa

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)

Tags
cable, power