Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
TheGriz

Carlisle Radial Trail HD

Hello folks,

Recently there was a lot of banter on a thread regarding use of the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 E/10 bought at WalMart for $67. My thread is not intended to re-open that debate. I will only say that I'm in the camp that the WalMart tires are likely taken from the same stack as would my local tire dealer.

Thanks to the forum as an exceptional resource, I accept that this tire is highly respected, and the price at WalMart is unbeatable. So I did my research.

My local WalMart doesn't have an Auto Service Dept. So I called my local Tire and Repair Shop that I have had all my vehicles serviced at for the last 20+ years. I asked him to quote me a price...$110 installed! I know the manager quite well from doing business with him for so long, and they usually have a price match guarantee. So I told him the Wally World price, and he was shocked saying that is cheaper than his cost.

His follow up then without me even prompting him, was to order them from Wally World and he would install them at no charge. He just asked that I tip the kid doing the installation.

No doubt I will be replacing the factory "Trailer Kings" (bought with TT this past Sept 2017) with the Carlisles very shortly before my trip south next month which is estimated to be a 3000 mile round trip!

Loyalty has its privileges!!!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Hodgy

Yup hang on to that dealer. And make "The Kid" remember you also, he could be the next boss.

I have the TK's on my TT that I bought last October. They will be gone also before I do any travelling. Unfortunately up here in the GWN, Wally world does not carry the Carlisle's and if they did they surely would not be $67.

I learn a lot on this site. All you have to do is listen.

Mike how did you do with the 5.3 pulling the 19FBPR ?
My 1800 is a bit lighter and it seemed OK for the 35 miles I pulled it home from the dealer last fall.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Hello folks,

Recently there was a lot of banter on a thread regarding use of the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 E/10 bought at WalMart for $67. My thread is not intended to re-open that debate. I will only say that I'm in the camp that the WalMart tires are likely taken from the same stack as would my local tire dealer.

Thanks to the forum as an exceptional resource, I accept that this tire is highly respected, and the price at WalMart is unbeatable. So I did my research.

My local WalMart doesn't have an Auto Service Dept. So I called my local Tire and Repair Shop that I have had all my vehicles serviced at for the last 20+ years. I asked him to quote me a price...$110 installed! I know the manager quite well from doing business with him for so long, and they usually have a price match guarantee. So I told him the Wally World price, and he was shocked saying that is cheaper than his cost.

His follow up then without me even prompting him, was to order them from Wally World and he would install them at no charge. He just asked that I tip the kid doing the installation.

No doubt I will be replacing the factory "Trailer Kings" (bought with TT this past Sept 2017) with the Carlisles very shortly before my trip south next month which is estimated to be a 3000 mile round trip!

Loyalty has its privileges!!!

Regards,
Mike
I was following the previous thread as I'm going to need to replace tires before a trip this summer. My only question is does the Wal-Mart price include mounting and balancing. My gut tells me it does not.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
My only question is does the Wal-Mart price include mounting and balancing. My gut tells me it does not.
I had the same question. So since my local Walmart didn't have an auto center, I called another Walmart about 40 miles from my home. Believe it or not, the response..."since you are buying the tires here, there is NO CHARGE for mounting." I asked if that included balancing...that was $9 per tire.

I wasn't about to tow my trailer there, and the cost of fuel would be exactly what I would tip the "the kid"...$30.

Mike

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Mike how did you do with the 5.3 pulling the 19FBPR ?
My 1800 is a bit lighter and it seemed OK for the 35 miles I pulled it home from the dealer last fall.
My 2011 Silverado 1/2 ton gasser towed my recently traded Premier 19FBPR (GVWR 6800 lbs) just fine. I did though have to put my foot too much into the pedal (so to speak) for my liking when going up some the mountains here in the northeast. I also felt that was beating up the whole drive train as the tranny would regularly be downshifting, contributing IMO to premature wear.

Also, mileage was only 8 to 9 MPGs.

Again the 5.3L with the tow package did a good job. I was just looking for better performance, longer vehicle longevity, and better mileage. Of course all this comes at a cost (for my new 3/4 ton diesel)!!!

Hopefully this insight helps you,
Mike

Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Hodgy

Thanks Mike. I have pulled trailers before and just wondered about the 5.3. Most of my travels will be in the foothills around here and the Rockies to the West of us in BC. Even though my 1800 is relatively light, I know it will grow with every trinket we load in it.

The 1800 is good for the two of us and I will take it easy with my 5.3 and make it work.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
TheGriz

Gotta luv it!!! Just placed the order, and get this! Four Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 E/10 delivered free directly to my door, not even to my local Wallyworld.

BUT...what the heck! A $4 fee for Merchandise fees for Enhanced 9-1-1, recycling and environmental disposal fees. I'm not even turning in the old tires. Not going to break my bank, just lights a torch to my petunia!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	15208  

Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Thanks Mike. I have pulled trailers before and just wondered about the 5.3. Most of my travels will be in the foothills around here and the Rockies to the West of us in BC. Even though my 1800 is relatively light, I know it will grow with every trinket we load in it.

The 1800 is good for the two of us and I will take it easy with my 5.3 and make it work.

Your 5.3L with the towing package will do just fine!!! Enjoy your new TT...lot's of memories to be made.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
wbdvt

I was the one that started the thread the OP mentioned and bought the tires from WalMart for the $67 ea. They arrived today and the date code is 0317, so slightly more than a year old. There is a marking that does say Made in China.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Rangerj

Griz, like you I'm looking to trade my Trailer Kings for Carlisles. During the process I've found some interesting, if not troubling information.
First of all, the $67 price was consistent at my Walmart. They said they were not able to install them. I can bring them the tires and they will balance them for a charge.
Next, I thought I would do a Google search on Trailer King vs. Carlisle tires. By about 2-1 the Trailer Kings got better reviews! I was shocked. Glowing 5* reviews on the Trailer Kings.
Following that I examined the Carlisles at the store and they were 7 days shy of being a year old, and was told I would have to take what I was given. That has never been a characteristic that appealed to me.
So I don't know. I'm rethinking my trade.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.
Oh, almost forgot. The Carlisles were made in China!

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

FWIW
With all the talk about mounting and balance, check
the wheels and balancing methods. Most aluminum trailer wheels are lug centric balanced not hub centric. Not all shops have the equipment to lug centric balance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post
Griz, like you I'm looking to trade my Trailer Kings for Carlisles. During the process I've found some interesting, if not troubling information.
First of all, the $67 price was consistent at my Walmart. They said they were not able to install them. I can bring them the tires and they will balance them for a charge.
Next, I thought I would do a Google search on Trailer King vs. Carlisle tires. By about 2-1 the Trailer Kings got better reviews! I was shocked. Glowing 5* reviews on the Trailer Kings.
Following that I examined the Carlisles at the store and they were 7 days shy of being a year old, and was told I would have to take what I was given. That has never been a characteristic that appealed to me.
The Carlisles are made I China but not the same plants as the Trailer Kings and other Go Pops. The quality on them is extremely high and quality control is tight.

There is no way, that Trailer Kings are better than Carlisles. Especially at the $67 price.

My Walmart didn't mount mine either. Went to Discount Tire for mounting and balancing of my Walmart tires and walked away with the DC warranty on them! A pretty sweet deal. They will replace them if I break them and will air them up for me.

Now, an 0317 date, that's a no go. We're those shipped in or were they already there from a previous order that wasn't picked up? I would not accept them and request something newer from the warehouse. I put mine on last May and I think they were close to the same date you are being given.

I hope this helps. You can always refuse the tires and have another set shipped to another Walmart to pick up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
... Most aluminum trailer wheels are lug centric balanced not hub centric. ...
??? I was not aware there are different balancing techniques/approaches. I assume lug centric is somehow based on where the lug nuts are versus where the hub goes. How can you tell which is which? Can you bring me up to speed? I learn something new every day from the users of this forum! Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post

I'm not sure where you are getting those reviews but they don't reflect anything in real life that I, or most anyone else that has owned them, have experienced. Yes, there are a few LUCKY souls that have not had a disaster with them but IMO that's just luck.

You need to know what tires you are comparing. Carlisle DID have some issues years ago but they have really gotten their act together from my experience and what others say. I wouldn't, on any day of any week, at a price 10% of what a Carlisle cost, put a TK on anything I owned and put my family and others at risk. Been there, done that.

When referencing tires "made in China" realize that there are many, many companies that have tires made in China and many, many different factories. I believe from what I've seen that most, if not all, the bad ones come from the Shandong province. I don't remember the factory but that is a good way to at least start analyzing what you are seeing/reading. Just look at the code on the tire.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Danny's comments about the Chinese tire factories, this is the process as I understand it. Trailer King tires are manufactured in a "state owned tire plant" and sold by the boatload to the distributor in the US. The tire plant provides the quality control and as long as the stateside distributor meets his profit margin and the tire plant is the "lowest bidder" they will continue the relationship regardless of who or what gets damaged in the process. It's cheaper to settle the few claims out of court than to buy more expensive tires from a more reliable tire plant.

Carlisle tires are also made in China. Carlisle built their own tire plant in China. They manage the plant, manage the workforce, manage the quality control, manage the materials used in manufacturing the tires, manage the shipping to the US and manage the distribution after the tires arrive.

The important difference is that Carlisle is supervising the manufacture of their "Chinese tires" while Trailer King is buying from the lowest bidder with minimal supervision....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Frank G

Just went to the Walmart site and looked up st235/80R16E

Compared the Carisle and the Trailer King.

Walmart states they are both assembled in the USA, the TK is heavier by 1lb but is not speed rated and it costs $12.00 more, $89.00 vrs $77.00.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Just went to the Walmart site and looked up st235/80R16E

Compared the Carisle and the Trailer King.

Walmart states they are both assembled in the USA, the TK is heavier by 1lb but is not speed rated and it costs $12.00 more, $89.00 vrs $77.00.
WalMart's site is incorrect. Both are manufactured in China, imported by companies licensed in the US and sold as imported tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
??? I was not aware there are different balancing techniques/approaches. I assume lug centric is somehow based on where the lug nuts are versus where the hub goes. How can you tell which is which? Can you bring me up to speed? I learn something new every day from the users of this forum! Thanks.
Lug centric balancing requires an adapter similar to a wheel hub. Most cars are center centric as the fit between the hub and rim is tight. I contacted Sendel when I had the tires/wheels balanced on my unit and they told me that they are lug centric. Search this forum on tire balancing and you should find several posts. I and others also highly recommend bolt in tire valve stems, especially if gong to higher pressures or using a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) .
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #19
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I and others also highly recommend bolt in tire valve stems, especially if gong to higher pressures or using a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) .
Aaahhaa, glad you mentioned the bolt in tire valves. That thought slipped my mind. I'll be sure to have them put on when mounting the Carlisles.

Soooo in reading all's comments, its not just if the tires are made in China, but at what plant, who owns the plant, and how the plant is managed. I almost pulled the plug on my order, until reading the additional follow-up feedback.

Thanks all for enlightening me!

Mike

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #20
talk2cpu

Hi, I'm one of those lucky TK tire owners. Mine came on a 2011 Passport and we changed them out last winter. They had at least 20,000 miles on them and were 7+ years old. They still had about 50% of the tread remaining. When I got the trailer I had the axles aligned and tires and wheels balanced. Installed a TPMS and my DW said I was OCD about the tire pressure and avoiding potholes and curbs. Sure paid off for me, or I got lucky. New tires are the Carlisle HD and so far about 3500 miles and no sign of any wear yet.