Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Froglaw

I'm going this summer too. Pulling out in Mid-June from Dallas.

I can't wait.
Froglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Pete A.

One person with one truck and trailer
Pete A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #23
KC10Chief

I used to live in Anchorage and have driven the Alaska highway several times. The last time in 2013. I've never done it with an RV but it's definitely in the plans! It's remote but you won't be truly alone. You'll see plenty of other drivers out there. If you break down, you're going to have a big problem. But you're not going to die of starvation or anything. Take a lot of bug spray and bug wash. If you did have a problem where you had to be outside your rig for a bit, even to change a tire, the mosquitos in some places will haul you away and drain you dry. I'd have no less than two spare tires for your trailer. Other than that, it's mostly paved. It will be gravel in areas where they're doing construction. It was pretty good all the way to Whitehorse. West of Whitehorse, the frost heaves can get bad. And they're hard to see until you're right on top of them. Keep the speed reasonable. I saw a Class C motorhome get airborne out there in 2011.

Now, do NOT go all the way to Alaska and pass up Banff National Park in Canada. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Jasper is a great place to stay. Glacier National Park in Montana is incredible too. You'd need to unhitch and drive up the Going to the Sun road. That doesn't open until July usually. Lots of great RV camping to be had in that part of the world. I've found that crossing into Canada, the bigger, busier border crossings are better. You don't want to come across a bored border control agent there.

The longest stretch you'll encounter is between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake. It's a long ways and there is only one fuel stop at the Northern Rockies Lodge at Muncho Lake in far northern British Colombia. This is a MUST stop and camp type of place. Absolutely beautiful there and the lodge is incredible. They have some awesome RV spots too. It's pricey and the fuel is very expensive but you may have no other choice depending on your range. The last time I did the drive in 2013, we were in a sedan. We left Watson Lake headed for Fort Nelson. Fuel prices were high everywhere at the time. We made it to the lodge and the fuel prices there worked out to be almost $9 a gallon! I elected to keep on going to Fort Nelson where it was a much more reasonable $5 a gallon. My low fuel light was on for 60 miles and my wife was ticked. There's definitely a margin of error built into those lights! HA! Gas prices are a lot cheaper now but expect to pay a lot more in remote Canada.

When you get to Watson Lake, stop real quick and take some photos at the signpost forest and then keep on moving. It's a pretty rednecky place. HA! I'd recommend making the push from Muncho Lake where the Northern Rockies Lodge is, and getting to Whitehorse. Whitehorse is a great town and worth spending a few days even. Also, don't pass up Liard Hot Springs. It's about 40 miles from Watson Lake if I remember right. Not sure if they have RV camping or not. It would be a long day to get from Muncho Lake to Whitehorse with a stop at Liard hot springs. But Liard is great. I believe there is RV camping in the area. Not sure. Might be some boon docking. I'd say it's 8 or 9 hours to get from Muncho Lake to Whitehorse. Only thing in between is Watson Lake. I'm not sure if anything good happens there.

Once you get to Alaska, there's plenty to do! RV camping everywhere. I'd recommend the spit down in Homer. Seward is great too. Anywhere on the Kenai peninsula. Humans just don't live long enough lives to experience all that Alaska has to offer.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #24
hornet28

Some neighbors used to live in Homer. He has a bumper sticker that says "Homer a drinking village with a fishing problem".
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #25
DucBill

I hope to make the trip this summer as well if my DWs medical issues get resolved thanks for the info. PS KC10chief I worked at MD in Long Bch when the first ones started getting to fuel pit and flight line what a mess they were, the Air Force was about to cancel the contract due to poor quality. Hope they were better after delivery. Hard to believe they're already 40yrs old now and still flying. Boom room was a nice feature compared to standing on your head like in KC135. Thanks your service.
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #26
siberian

Forgot to add, get a copy of the Milepost. An invaluable guide

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
66joej

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow"

love this one, siberian!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #28
Froglaw

Update, I did not make it in Summer of 2019. I shut down my law office of 30 years and moved to a much bigger firm as "of counsel". So the Summer of 2019 was spent playing golf and trying to reboot my life without my 4 person staff while transitioning my clients to the new firm's representation. It all went pretty smoothly with a few hickups.

So I'm planning to drive this next Summer 2020. Targeted June 13/14 as my departure date.

Even had my sighing buddy flying up and riding back with me.

Covid19 has been a wrench to say the least.

I sill want to go, but this sure is not looking good on April 28, 2020.

Everyone stay safe and let's beat this thing.
Froglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #29
hornet28

I hope the border is open to us by then. I need to go into Saskatchewan when it does open. Good luck and have a great time on your trip
Old 04-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglaw View Post
Update, I did not make it in Summer of 2019. I shut down my law office of 30 years and moved to a much bigger firm as "of counsel". So the Summer of 2019 was spent playing golf and trying to reboot my life without my 4 person staff while transitioning my clients to the new firm's representation. It all went pretty smoothly with a few hickups.

So I'm planning to drive this next Summer 2020. Targeted June 13/14 as my departure date.

Even had my sighing buddy flying up and riding back with me.

Covid19 has been a wrench to say the least.

I sill want to go, but this sure is not looking good on April 28, 2020.

Everyone stay safe and let's beat this thing.
What route to Canada do you have planned?
I was thinking of catching US287 in east Texas and following it all the way to Glacier NP.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #31
fjr vfr

DW and I road my Goldwing up in 2009 from Virginia pulling a little trailer behind with our camping gear. We tent camped most of the way. DW refused to tent camp in Haynes down near the river where we were watching the Bears feast on salmon...she was chicken.

A few things from our experience, first bring lots of extra fuel. Just about every vehicle you see will have a gas can strapped on. The Milepost is a big help, but it can be wrong. We were getting low on fuel somewhere near Laird River and the Milepost indicated a fuel stop. When we arrived there was a barrier across the entrance and tumble weeds blowing across. We continued on to the next place listed. When we arrived we found the one pump was broke. At this time we would have been in big trouble if it weren't for the gas can we had with us. After dumping in that fuel we made it to a small town on fumes with the gas gauge reading empty for miles.

We were stressed from this experience, so not only did I refill the gas can, I bought a second and filled it. Of course naturally we never needed either for the rest of the trip.

On our way we stopped at our favorite NP Glacier. We stayed at the West gate KOA. At the time they had a grill cook employed that cooked us the best rib eye steak we've ever had. If he still works there, (doubt it) it's worth the stop just for the steaks and ribs.

Of course others here have pretty much summed it all up. BTW we loved Laird river wilderness hot springs. I did see RV's there, but didn't notice sizes. We went in August.
We hope to make another trip. We gave up the bike 5 or 6 years ago and went to an RV. We are just a little to old for the motorcycle. And our health issues aren't getting better with age. Sleeping in tents and getting up of the ground just aren't in the cards anymore.

Good luck to those that are able to go. Just do it!
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #32
Keystoned

"Bears feast on salmon...she was chicken."
So she would have been fine, being chicken and not salmon.
Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the one you are with, lol
Old 04-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
"Bears feast on salmon...she was chicken."
So she would have been fine, being chicken and not salmon.
Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the one you are with, lol
Which is why you only need a small single shot 22 pistol to protect against bears. Just make sure when you shoot your companion's knee, that you don't miss....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #34
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Which is why you only need a small single shot 22 pistol to protect against bears. Just make sure when you shoot your companion's knee, that you don't miss....
Well that's just next level thinking John...maybe a baseball bat or tire iron will do in pinch.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #35
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Well that's just next level thinking John...maybe a baseball bat or tire iron will do in pinch.
For the bear or the knee?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #36
Roscommon48

Just do it in June and enjoy.

But make sure you are all set with fuel, good tires and suspension.

Alaska is only one part of your adventure....there is Canada too.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #37
notanlines

We both agree that Canada is a big part of the trip!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote