Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Mail Forwarding

We are not full timers, but we "snow bird" and will be gone about 5+ months.
We had someone looking after our mail, but this year we need another way.
We're not looking to establish out of state residents, just to not have the mail box back home flowing out onto the road.
Looking for a recommendation for a good mail service.

Thanks,
John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I know others probably have better plans but we just have our mail carrier hold our mail in large PO boxes. They aren't supposed to hold over 30 days but she just holds it for us for the duration - great gal. We've tried forwarding 2 times and it is a fiasco ending up in lost mail and who knows what. Thankfully everything we have is paid automatically because mail forwarding, even by USPS admission, doesn't work worth a flip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
bobbecky

Americas Mailbox in South Dakota will do mail forwarding and you don't have to establish a domicile there, and they will do partial years. We've been with them for six years now and have NEVER had an issue, always reliable. Give them a call or check their web site- http://www.americas-mailbox.com/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #4
notanlines

No company in this country performs as badly and with as little regard as does the US Postal Service when it comes to forwarding mail. Danny only scratched the surface when describing how bad the experience is. I have nothing but disdain for the workers handling the "forwarded mail" duties. I don't just have a few examples of lost, returned and delayed mail, nay, I have DOZENS.
Wedding invitation, Christmas cards, personal letters returned to sender marker Address Unknown. This action happened in the neighborhood of twenty times in three years. We have lived on the same street for 35 years! How about a two pound box of Apple Pie Cheddar from Hickory Farms, sent from the distributor in December, finally found us the end of March.
We solved our little problem by having the neighbor put everything in FedEx envelopes every ten days or so and send it down. He is rewarded with a king's ransom of chocolate cheese and 10 year old cheddar when we return from Wisconsin.
As Daniel Day-Lewis said in the end of There Will Be Blood; I'm finished.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
No company in this country performs as badly and with as little regard as does the US Postal Service when it comes to forwarding mail. Danny only scratched the surface when describing how bad the experience is. I have nothing but disdain for the workers handling the "forwarded mail" duties. I don't just have a few examples of lost, returned and delayed mail, nay, I have DOZENS.
Wedding invitation, Christmas cards, personal letters returned to sender marker Address Unknown. This action happened in the neighborhood of twenty times in three years. We have lived on the same street for 35 years! How about a two pound box of Apple Pie Cheddar from Hickory Farms, sent from the distributor in December, finally found us the end of March.
We solved our little problem by having the neighbor put everything in FedEx envelopes every ten days or so and send it down. He is rewarded with a king's ransom of chocolate cheese and 10 year old cheddar when we return from Wisconsin.
As Daniel Day-Lewis said in the end of There Will Be Blood; I'm finished.
Jim, Are you saying that our government is incompetent, deficient, and flawed? I've never heard such things before. I'm quite astonished and alarmed by this news!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
bobbecky

It isn't just the USPS, but also others as well. We just had a package that was sent to us returned as undeliverable because the UPS driver couldn't see the entire address on his computer screen where we are in Arizona. The address had the street address of the park we are in and Amazon included the space number after the street address on the same line, so the computer display wasn't long enough to see the space number, even though the address was clearly displayed on the package with the space number.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Local150

I have tried holding my mail at the po and having family mail it once a week, and also have address switched to the campground and all worked well. But will fill out change of address again this year as it worked fine for me, and no hassle for family . Even though my sister is the post master here at home , I get no special treatment
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
66joej

Just a quick comment about Canada Post. They have been on a rotating strike for almost a month now and nobody has noticed.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Eastham

You can have the post office put all your mail in a priority mail envelope and ship it to you every wed and you will have it on fri or Saturday. Have done it for three winters and no problems.about $18.00 a week.pricey but you get the mail like clock work.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Local150

Great idea there too
Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Still thinking about this. Last year we had our son taking care of it, but it all changed when he received an offer for a new job in CA. So, in mid Feb. he left and we had to come up with a new plan with a couple more months away.

Everything worked out, but this year I'm looking for a more "fail safe" option.
On another note, I haven't experience much trouble with the Postal service over the years. I know some people have though. It seems to me it's all dependent on how well run your local office is. They have thousands of offices around the country so there's bound to be a few not very well run. I guess mine have been among the better ones. Hope to stay on the lucky end.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Still thinking about this. Last year we had our son taking care of it, but it all changed when he received an offer for a new job in CA. So, in mid Feb. he left and we had to come up with a new plan with a couple more months away.

Everything worked out, but this year I'm looking for a more "fail safe" option.
On another note, I haven't experience much trouble with the Postal service over the years. I know some people have though. It seems to me it's all dependent on how well run your local office is. They have thousands of offices around the country so there's bound to be a few not very well run. I guess mine have been among the better ones. Hope to stay on the lucky end.
You hit the nail on the head. Depends some on people in your local post office. I find that IMO a lot of it also depends the date you start it and date you stop it. I started mine 3 days before I left and started it going back to my house 4 days before I left Florida. When I got to florida my mail was waiting for me and when I got home same thing,, just what works for me
Old 11-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Well, not to keep harping about USPS, but.....

Ordered several components as I upgrade to a new Weber Q2200, cart, covers etc. - 6 items from Amazon Prime. Was to receive 3 packages today; 1 from UPS and 2 from USPS?? Received the first USPS box at 9am, UPS at 12:30 but the 3rd parcel (USPS) didn't show. Looked at the Amazon tracking and it was shown as delivered by USPS??? I called Amazon and they said that USPS sometimes will mark them as delivered if they missed them during deliveries....just wait a day or 2. Wait a day or 2? Marked "delivered" because they missed it during deliveries?? Irritating. Guess tomorrow will be another fun time trying to figure out if they are going to deliver it or not. Guess I'll show my face at the local PO and start "grilling" folks.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
CaptnJohn

Have been forwarding my mail for years, just 3 1/2 months at a time. Never missed a beat! Yesterday, the 3rd time this week, I have to deliver a package UPS screwed up again because they cannot read?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, not to keep harping about USPS, but.....

Ordered several components as I upgrade to a new Weber Q2200, cart, covers etc. - 6 items from Amazon Prime. Was to receive 3 packages today; 1 from UPS and 2 from USPS?? Received the first USPS box at 9am, UPS at 12:30 but the 3rd parcel (USPS) didn't show. Looked at the Amazon tracking and it was shown as delivered by USPS??? I called Amazon and they said that USPS sometimes will mark them as delivered if they missed them during deliveries....just wait a day or 2. Wait a day or 2? Marked "delivered" because they missed it during deliveries?? Irritating. Guess tomorrow will be another fun time trying to figure out if they are going to deliver it or not. Guess I'll show my face at the local PO and start "grilling" folks.

Wanted to update this to correct any misperceptions.

Went to the post office yesterday to run down the lost package. I related the story of the first package arriving at 8:53 and then the other showed delivered at 10:48. I then commented I was sure they didn't make 2 mail runs to the same address. "Oh yes we do" was the reply. "We make a parcel run and a mail run." When asked about the package in question she took the tracking number and put it in the system. She then told me the time it was delivered (10:48) and the gps position. She advised any time a package/parcel is dropped off and the carrier leaves it they are required to post the gps position. The position? The front desk of the RV park! I was impressed.

Back to the park. I asked the lady about the package again and she said there were no packages. I told her USPS had recorded it being dropped at their desk. She thought a moment and said there was a large envelope that they had moved down to their "mail room". I drove down there and on a table there was a large envelope with.....my little cover for the Weber grill!

I wanted to post this to clear up the implication I made that USPS had fouled this up. Instead, kudos to them on their package/parcel delivery methods (Again, I was impressed) and note to self; I need to learn how this new RV park works!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
RoscoeV

Our USPS driver just retired a few months ago. He was great, mail was delivered pretty much like clock work around 4:30 pm during the week and very seldom had any issues. We have a new driver that's pretty young and he makes his deliveries about 2 pm. The issue is we are constantly getting our neighbors mail and that is pretty much the same for everyone on our street. I called the PO a few times and asked if they would make it a requirement that their employees were able to read.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wanted to update this to correct any misperceptions.

Went to the post office yesterday to run down the lost package. I related the story of the first package arriving at 8:53 and then the other showed delivered at 10:48. I then commented I was sure they didn't make 2 mail runs to the same address. "Oh yes we do" was the reply. "We make a parcel run and a mail run." When asked about the package in question she took the tracking number and put it in the system. She then told me the time it was delivered (10:48) and the gps position. She advised any time a package/parcel is dropped off and the carrier leaves it they are required to post the gps position. The position? The front desk of the RV park! I was impressed.

Back to the park. I asked the lady about the package again and she said there were no packages. I told her USPS had recorded it being dropped at their desk. She thought a moment and said there was a large envelope that they had moved down to their "mail room". I drove down there and on a table there was a large envelope with.....my little cover for the Weber grill!

I wanted to post this to clear up the implication I made that USPS had fouled this up. Instead, kudos to them on their package/parcel delivery methods (Again, I was impressed) and note to self; I need to learn how this new RV park works!
I showed your post with my sister as she is a postmaster. She appreciates your post as she usually only hears complaints,, kudos to you
Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #18
compcons

Mail forwarding

We have used the Good Sam mail forwarding service over a couple of years. You can sign up for it, pay for a year (cheaper rate) and suspend it when you are not travelling. You can log into the service and see what has been delivered to them, have them open it and view it if you so desire. They will send a package of the mail that you choose to wherever you are and it is fairly reasonable.

They are located in Florida.
compcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
cshrader

We are in the last week of a 9-week trip. We forwarded our mail to the iPostal mail forwarding service before we left. The USPS has constantly screwed up the forwarding of the mail. For the first week, they continued to deliver mail (had to call them to get them to stop), have returned mail to senders as undeliverable, and several items have just disappeared. For our next trip, I think we need to commit and just change our address with the senders. That would eliminate the USPS forwarding component.

iPostal has been ok, but I think I will switch to another company next time. The one thing I don't like about iPostal is I have to request for items to be consolidated (takes a couple of days) before I can get the cost to send them to me. Even then, I don't get to choose the carrier. I had a bunch of letters put in an envelope and had it sent from Georgia to Maine. Unfortunately, they used USPS. A week later, it still hadn't arrived and we moved. I had the Maine campground forward it to us in Boston. Another week and it still didn't arrive and we moved. That campground forwarded it to our next campground and it arrived 7 days later on the day we were moving. I want to be able to choose the carrier so I can be sure it isn't USPS.

Can anybody recommend a better mail service?
Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #20
bobbecky

Like my earlier post, Americas Mailbox works for us. You can select the carrier if you want, and you will get a tracking number emailed to you when the mail to you is sent. We have never had to wait over three business days for our mail to arrive, wherever we may be parked. You do not have to use the address there except for your mail you want forwarded. We pay a little extra for the next level of service which has them discard all the junk mail, so we don't have to pay for that to be forwarded.