Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Vern, one more question, since Mike forgot ask this [emoji41]: are the directions clear and easy to follow?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #22
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Vern, one more question, since Mike forgot ask this [emoji41]: are the directions clear and easy to follow?
Uuugh, I guess! After installing the first one, way back in 2010 on my 2011 F250, it was basically just repeat for me. It seems like.....if I remember correctly, the instructions were maybe online????? It's really a pretty simple process though, so wouldn't sweat it. Also, I just looked and RetroSolutions LLC is Monday - Friday 9A-4P EST.....

And just so there is no confusion....the Brand that I used all 4 times is the "Digital HID" brand!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
TheGriz

Okay...I chose a compromise to hold me over until I get closer to the end of my 2017 Silverado warranty. The last thing I want if something goes wrong with anything electronic, is GM/dealer pointing to my aftermarket modifications as the blame.

So, I chose as that compromise a Halogen upgrade...purely plug-and-play. I replaced the OEM bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Seems these have the brightest downroad performance and a whiter light than the two major manufacturers comparable bulbs, the Philipps Extreme Vision, and GE Nighthawk Xenon.

I did some very unscientific testing this evening. I replaced the left lamp with the Silverstar Ultra left, and the OEM bulb stayed in the right lamp. I aimed my truck directly at (squared up to) my two garage doors roughly 15 feet back, and centered the truck as best I could on the center post between doors, such that the left bulb projected on left door and right bulb on right door. The differences were subtle but noticeable. I saw the upgrade was slightly whiter. Note a couple blue hues on left, and a yellower look on right. I believe I read somewhere the Ultras are 4300K and the OEMs are 3400K. More importantly, the projection to the side was more noticeable with the Ultra. Remember, one of my two big complaints was very inadequate peripheral lighting.

The second unscientific test with just the left bulb upgrade and OEM in right, was a drive down my street, truck centered on the yellow line. I saw a little more downroad projected light by the left upgraded Ultra bulb. More noticeable was the peripheral lighting on the left side.

Take a look at the pics...taken with low beams only. If you look closely, I think you will see the same as I observed with my eyeball analysis.

Now I have to dig in and replace right lamp with the Ultra upgrade tomorrow, and the right one is a royal PIA, as the air filter housing needs to be removed.

I got the Ultras at Wally World for about $45...also available on ebay for about $30. A modest outlay, while I wait on the HID upgrade at $150 (Retro Solutions) up to $350 (Headlight Revolution).

BTW...one might ask why the manufacturer wouldn't use an upgraded bulb? Well the drawback to the upgrade is shorter life (filament is hotter), by about half...Ultras estimated life 200 hours. So I expect to replace in about a year plus.

Worth noting, the Halogen upgrade is D.O.T approved. The Headlight Revolution HID upgrade is NOT D.O.T. approved. Not sure if the Retro Solution HID upgrade is D.O.T approved. Critical if one is involve in an "incident" with an LEO, or worse an incident that leads to litigation.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_215525_resized.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	17282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_210000_resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	17283   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_210701_resized.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	17284  

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Griz, I've used the Siverstars and they are an improvement at the cost of higher purchase price and shorter life as you stated bso over several years the cost can add up. Understand your concern with warranty, never give the dealer an "out". I have replaced the headlamps with D.O.T. approved projector HID's and the tail lights with D.O.T. approved LED's. All the units have the D.O.T. paperwork supplied and I throw that in the glovebox just in case. The initial cost is high but I've never had to replace an LED or an HID in the 8, and 9 years I've had them on my trucks. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #25
Hodgy

I have used Silverstar Ultras on all of my vehicles. 03' Mazda Tribute, 05' Silverado and 97' Goldwing. They upped the performance on all three vehicles. I carry spares in each vehicle for when one goes out. I run with all lights on all of the time, got that from riding the bike. I don't keep track of how long they last but the Tribute gets the most driving of them all and I think it was two years I got out of the last one that blew.

Halogens deteriorate with age so to keep the brightness there you probably should be changing them anyway.

I tried HID in the Tribute OEM housings and as stated in this thread before, lots of spreading light to annoy other drivers. But would throw a lot of light down the road. HID in projectors is the only way to go, lots of $$$ but IMO the best solution.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #26
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

I have used Silverstar Ultras on all of my vehicles. 03' Mazda Tribute, 05' Silverado and 97' Goldwing. They upped the performance on all three vehicles. I carry spares in each vehicle for when one goes out. I run with all lights on all of the time, got that from riding the bike. I don't keep track of how long they last but the Tribute gets the most driving of them all and I think it was two years I got out of the last one that blew.

Halogens deteriorate with age so to keep the brightness there you probably should be changing them anyway.

I tried HID in the Tribute OEM housings and as stated in this thread before, lots of spreading light to annoy other drivers. But would throw a lot of light down the road. HID in projectors is the only way to go, lots of $$$ but IMO the best solution.

Or, the end capped HID bulbs that I referred to in my previous posts. They work like a champ.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
Freeheel4life

I know it's not the DIY solution for a bunch of handy guys that don't like to spend money frivolisly but....Lots of dealers upfit their truck with lifts, tires, and all kinds of other mods. IF the HID lights were installed by them would there be any warranty concern??? One would think that if their "certified ASE" techs did the install they couldn't turn around and throw you any guff down the road. I'm assuming the trucks that they are selling lifted right off the lot still come with a warranty, but that is simply an assumption.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #28
xrated

Something else to remember, at least here in the U.S., If there were some type of issue with the vehicle, the dealer would have to PROVE that the part(s) that you installed caused the issue. I believe that is part of the Moss-Magnuson act of 1975.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

xrated is correct in that the burden of proof is on the mfg to void the warranty. That being said, if you don't follow instructions oor don't know what you're doing then find someone that does to do the work. Hid retrofits require relays and most vehicles require load resistors when replacing incandescent lamps with LEDs to prevent a lamp out warning. Modern computer controlled vehicles have very sensitive electrical systems.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #30
xxplumcrazeexx

Hate the lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Hey folks,

I really like my 2017 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax LTZ Z71...with one exception. The low beams are useless! The forward illumination is about the worst of any of my vehicles over the last couple decades. Additionally, the peripheral illumination is near non-existent. I have to put the fog lamps on to see anything near in and out to the sides.

I talked to dealer several times, and they can do nothing.

These are the stacked headlight version with projector style low-beams.

Who else has these headlights and what are your thoughts?

I have researched upgrades, but my head hurts...HID, LED, halogen, lumens, color, watts, etc, etc . The OEM is halogen. Each have their pros and cons. Some of the cons I've seen...burning of lens cover, warranty voided, HID's expensive.

Has anyone done an upgrade? Feedback??? Suggestions welcome???

Thanks,
Mike

Hate the lights! We have the same exact truck and so does our friend. He upgraded all his lights with LED's. As soon as we see him we will find out what he used and let you know.
xxplumcrazeexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #31
menltkns

The headlights (lows especially) on my 2015 GMC pale in comparison to the ones on my 2007. I put an aftermarket light bar on to supplement them. It helped quite a bit.

Isn't it amazing how new and improved isn't?
menltkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
packnrat

oncoming traffic says other wise. so many of the new chevy trucks blind oncoming traffic.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
B-O-B'03

I am glad our F150 came with the factory HID.

What an amazing lighting system, the low beams are fantastic, but, find yourself on a 2 lane winding road at night and flip on the high beams... WOW.

The high beams also work great if you come up on some left lane "owner", they will illuminate the whole inside of their car... a real wake-up call.

Mike, I highly recommend them.

-Brian
Old 07-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #34
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I am glad our F150 came with the factory HID.

What an amazing lighting system, the low beams are fantastic, but, find yourself on a 2 lane winding road at night and flip on the high beams... WOW.

The high beams also work great if you come up on some left lane "owner", they will illuminate the whole inside of their car... a real wake-up call.

Mike, I highly recommend them.

-Brian
Well, there are several names that I call people like that, that think they own the left lane and proceed to drive slower in the left than the traffic in the right lane is going. There's only one name that I use for them that can be typed out on the forum......the rest are NWS....

"Left Lane Bandit"

Old 07-07-2018, 04:22 AM   #35
liv42day777

I have a 2016 2500HD and had the same problem. You can adjust the beam higher which projects the light further out in front of you. The adjustment screws are just above each headlamp under the hood. Park your truck in front of a garage door while closed, running with head lights on and adjust the beam up a few inches and also keep both sides even. Do this multiple times until you feel the lights are performing to your liking and oncoming vehicles are not flashing their lights at you thinking your high beams are on. I did this when I first bought my truck and the lights are performing great.
liv42day777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #36
cavediver

Not to hi jack the thread but the passing lane has become the mini van lane or suv lane. The police should do their job and ticket them. In most states even signs read slower traffic keep right, I can't say more this is a family thread. Sorry for the rant.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #37
Northofu1

The worst american drivers, I have encountered, per state has to be Michigan. I know about bad drivers as I am in Ontario which has to easily be the worst province to drive in. Everywhere else I have driven in the US has been good.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #38
Versatile

We have a 15 Duramax and the lights are awful. It appears they have not made any improvements to the lights in the past two years!
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #39
roadglide

Coming home late we paid attention to the low beam on our lonely winding hilly road . Projection lighting rolled right with the road thats good the bright are excellent. The GMC is stock other then bags with mimuman air keeps the truck riding factor .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #40
art1046

2007 Suburban lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by menltkns View Post
The headlights (lows especially) on my 2015 GMC pale in comparison to the ones on my 2007. I put an aftermarket light bar on to supplement them. It helped quite a bit.

Isn't it amazing how new and improved isn't?
My 2007 Chevy Suburban 2500 lower lights are horrid (highs are just ok). I have to pull up to the car in front to verify they are even on. One problem with these is they can only be adjusted side to side per the manual. How does one determine whether these are projector or not? There are high and low bulbs in the same housing and the bulbs are capable of individual replacement.

Can anyone shed light - no pun intended to this subject for my 2007?
art1046 is offline   Reply With Quote