Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #1
martybmw

Fresh Water Fill Pressure

I have a 21 Alpine 3700FL and it is pretty much parked full time. I fill the the fresh water tank from a 2500 gallon tank using a solar powered 12 volt pump solar unit as I only have a City Water connection. With an inline filter in place I only get about 12 pounds pressure when filling the tank which is so slow I get distracted and remember as the water comes out the overfill. Going to purchase another pump and I didnt see in the owners manual the max pressure for filling the fresh water tank.
thanks
martybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most water pressure regulators are set to 45-50 PSI. Your fill line may be either pex or flexible hose, both rated at about 100 PSI, it’s the crimp fittings that can fail.

I would say 40 psi would be a good rate, and the diameter of the supply hose can slow down the water. I would use 5/8” hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:34 PM   #3
bobbecky

I've used one of these transfer pumps from Harbor Freight to pump into a gravity fill as well as the city hose port so water can be filled using the fill valve, and the tank gets filled pretty quick. https://www.harborfreight.com/plumbi...gph-63324.html
There is also a 120 volt model that works the same as this 12 volt model.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:50 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmw View Post
I have a 21 Alpine 3700FL and it is pretty much parked full time. I fill the the fresh water tank from a 2500 gallon tank using a solar powered 12 volt pump solar unit as I only have a City Water connection. With an inline filter in place I only get about 12 pounds pressure when filling the tank which is so slow I get distracted and remember as the water comes out the overfill. Going to purchase another pump and I didnt see in the owners manual the max pressure for filling the fresh water tank.
thanks
What's the flow rate of the pump? There's 2 different ratings on a pump, psi and gph or gpm. For instance, a pressure washer pump will have a very high psi rating but not at a great volum.If the pump you are using is a relatively high volume pump then there may be a restriction in the system. The check valve could be partially restricted, or the selector valve, or the fill hose into the tank could be kinked.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:51 AM   #5
Martian

When pumping into an open tank ot does not matter what the pressure is because there will be no pressure once the water exits the hose. Kinda like filling a swimming pool.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
cougar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
When pumping into an open tank ot does not matter what the pressure is because there will be no pressure once the water exits the hose. Kinda like filling a swimming pool.
What Martian said. You need a higher volume pump.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water