Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
sandy43

Portable Winegard Satellite Antenna

Been RVing for years and never had a Satellite. Never had an interest in watching TV. But, I got hooked on watching Baseball. So, I'm looking at the Winegard portable and set it on a tripod. The G2+ or G3, anyone have one of these? What's your opinion and why? Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have had the wineguard “carry out” since 2008. Love it, don’t use a tripod. I either set it on the ground or on the roof. There are apps for your phone so you know where to set it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
DocP

I have the Winegard G2+ and also really like it. I have both the tripod and ladder-mount. I found that with the ladder-mount accessory there were times when it could not locate the satellites because of the trees, so I bought the tripod so that I could move it to a better location. The other thing you need to consider is your satellite-provider. I chose to go with DirecTV because that's what I have at home, and only have to pay $7 per month for the receiver. Please note, however, that the Winegard G2+ dishes only receive standard definition TV, whereas Dish can receive high definition (if that's really important to you). I use the DirecTV H24 receiver, and have had no trouble with the setup.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
Hammond Bob

I have the DISH Tailgator which is linked to my home DISH package. I usually set the Tailgator on a picnic table or on the ground - anywhere that gets me good southern sky exposure. DISH allows me to get HD reception and is only $7/mo. extra (as long as you have DISH at home). I believe you can currently buy the Tailgator with a Wally receiver package for $375 at Amazon.com with free shipping! I have had my system now for 4 years with no problems. Wherever I am camping, I just call DISH customer service and give them my location - and in 10 minutes I can get all the local stations from that area!
Hammond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
sandy43

Just got my G2+ today. Can't seem to get it to work. Followed all the instructions, but it's not connecting to the ball (antenna). Good continuity in all wires. I'm doing something wrong, can't figure it out. I have the DirecTV H24 receiver, same as DocP. What now? Help.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 AM   #6
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
Just got my G2+ today. Can't seem to get it to work. Followed all the instructions, but it's not connecting to the ball (antenna). Good continuity in all wires. I'm doing something wrong, can't figure it out. I have the DirecTV H24 receiver, same as DocP. What now? Help.
Sorry, Sandy - wish I could help. I followed the instructions in the G2+ manual, and made sure that I had an unobstructed view of the southwest sky. The dish found the satellites without any issues. As noted in the manual, the dish type is set to 3-LNB (18" x 20") and the switch type is Multiswitch.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
sandy43

Finally got it working. According to Winegard, my coax to the antenna was to long, 50' . Used the 25' coax they supplied and bingo, it worked. The satellite exterior hook up on the RV, which runs to the interior hook up behind the TV is about 25' of cord in the walls. Therefore, Winegard says I can't use that and should hook directly to the receiver and go out through a window. Don't like that, but what choice do I have. Thanks guys for trying to help.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have a slide, you can put the coax down at the bottom corner and then extend the slide. I used to do it on my Jayco that didn’t have Sat in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Wyldfire

Quote:
Finally got it working. According to Winegard, my coax to the antenna was to long, 50' . Used the 25' coax they supplied and bingo, it worked. The satellite exterior hook up on the RV, which runs to the interior hook up behind the TV is about 25' of cord in the walls. Therefore, Winegard says I can't use that and should hook directly to the receiver and go out through a window. Don't like that, but what choice do I have. Thanks guys for trying to help.
Remember to use satellite through sat in connection on trailer you have to remove short jumper and hook receiver to one of the jumpers connectors usually the bottom one and turn off power to antenna.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Remember to use satellite through sat in connection on trailer you have to remove short jumper and hook receiver to one of the jumpers connectors usually the bottom one and turn off power to antenna.

I have my sat connected to the park cable input on back of the trailer. I used a meter to figure out where park cable came into the back of the jumper plate, disconnected the end of the short jumper opposite the park cable connection, and connected the Wally to the jumper. That appeared to give me a straight shot from the back of the trailer to the Wally. I dont have to turn power off of the antenna because the sat and antenna are no longer connected. Then I use the input/source buttons on the remotes switch between Antenna and HDMI (sat) without doing anything else.

But if I want to use park cable, then of course i have to disconnect the jumper from Wally and put it back on the jumper plate.

Not sure if this is the most efficient way to do it, but it works for me.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:07 AM   #11
DocP

Quote:
I hadn't considered that to be the problem in your case, but it is mentioned in the G2+ manual:

"NOTE A 25’ coaxial cable is included with the antenna. To ensure proper operation, use only the included coaxial cable. Failure to use the included coax cable or use of the interior/exterior pre-wiring could hinder proper operation."

That being said, I have successfully used a good quality 50-foot quad shield solid copper RG-6 cable with the G2+. Here is what I'm using, and have no problems:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
antenna, satellite