Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
glendar10

New be

Looking to make a trip from Chicago to Yellowstone park and stops at devils tower and my rush more. Have two weeks to do it. Any good ideas on stops on the way there and back? No long days of driving , maybe 8 at most, but less would be better. Pulling a Cougar 29rks with a 2019 6.7 swd. For the first time.

Thanks
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
notanlines

When is this planned?
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
glendar10

June or July no real date just yet waiting for Ford to finish making the 250 . And get it yo the dealer. Brand new 250 king ranch 6.7.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
notanlines

Good on ya, Glen. I just wanted to make sure you weren't planning on a November trip in a few weeks.
Let's assume you are leaving on Friday after work (leaving Chicago) and heading out I-90 towards the wilderness that is South Dakota. You are looking at about 14-1500 miles to get to Yellowstone. You won't make particularly good time until you actually cross the river into Minnesota. From there all the way to Rapid City is a breeze. Literally a breeze. If the wind is easterly your mileage will go completely to pot! But I digress. You will need to put some miles on the Friday when you leave. Believe me when I say if you only want 8 or less hours a day driving you will have very little time to be a tourist. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. You are heading into great, great tourist areas. But you have a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Jerry Reed I believe) I would suggest you cancel the Yellowstone end of your plans and just go Chicago to Rapid City area and then home.
There is a veritable cornucopia of sites and activities in the area, literally too many to mention here. In the time frame you've said you almost can't get there from here.
I hope a number of other members will chime in here with their ideas. This is a popular trip and we have a world of experienced vacationers on this forum.
Good luck to you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
66joej

glendar10 I have to agree with Jim. You have a 4 day drive (round trip) just to Rapid City. That leaves about 10 days in this area. So much to see and do the days will fly by. Been to Rapid City and area 4 times now and always other stuff to see/do (take a day to see Sturgis) . Forget Yellowstone (also a great place to visit and much to see and do) have been there also. Too far for a 2 week holiday from Chicago I think (looking at the mileage). Have a good holiday where ever you decide to go!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Totally agree !!!

We did the same trip from northern Michigan (add 500 miles round trip to Chicago) and it took us 7 weeks. We were "rushed" to get it all in and only got to spend 3 days in Yellowstone. Just Devil's Tower is a one day trip, provided you don't slow down going past the prairie dog town on the way into the parking lot. If you stop to take pictures of the prairie dogs, add 2 or 3 hours to your DT trip. Then there's the Vore Buffalo Jump you'll see on the side of I-90, half way between Sturgis and Devil's Tower. Great to see if you're interested in Indian history, but certainly no time to stop if you're "pushing past at 70 MPH to stay on schedule".... There's so many things that you'd "wish you had time to see" along the way, and most of them are worth the time, but if there's no time.......

Yellowstone is a "destination in itself" and a week is barely enough time to take in the "major highlights". Trying to do it "on the fly" between Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore, well, you'll miss the "needles highway, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, the walking tour of presidential statues in downtown Rapid City. There's so much more that you'll have to "close your eyes as you fly past" that honestly, once you're back home, you'll wonder why the heck you even tried to cram in so much in such a short time.

Even if you break it down to 3 two week trips, you'll still be rushed to get it all in. Trying to do it in a single trip???? You'll get home exhausted with an empty wallet and not much but a bunch of plans to go back "when we can slow down".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
glendar10

Better half really only wants devils tower and Yellowstone park . We have been to all of these place before and now she want to just see these. I was hoping to go from Chicago half way and stop at a camp ground maybe a day the to devils tower for a day then Yellowstone for several days. Returning to Mt. Rushmore . Then depending on time a few stop at different camp grounds for a day or so maybe even the Dells? I have not really planed just thinking and trying to find some good camps to go to along the way. Hard to find camp grounds on Map Quest and I have not found a good rv trip planner.the tow has gps in it for road but camp addresses. I would guess that Devils tower is maybe 1000-1200 miles? So two or three days to three (8hr) days?
Not sure oboist time but wife is looking forward to the two main stops rest is just to get to them.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
travelin texans

Towing you'll need to figure, optimistically, 50 miles per hour, that's 30 hours of driving one way for a 1500 mile trip. If driving 10 hours per day, which when towing is a VERY long day, you're at minimum 6 long full days of just driving out of a 14 day trip. I'm sure it can be done, will it be enjoyable? No, not for me, I'm worn out just talking about such an exhausting trip. You'll need a vacation to rest up from the vacation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Snoking

These type of trips are better when you are retired and can take your time to enjoy the sites.

BTW if you do go to Devils Tower, be sure to watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind before going.

I agree on the 2 days each way to Rapid City, and enjoy that area for this trip, which can include Devils Tower.

Maybe on a later trip to Yellowstone you can include Custer Battlefield Visitors Center in Montana.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
gearhead

For planning this is a pretty good site: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I have to chime in: you need to allocate time to spend in Yellowstone if you are going to make that long of a trip. I've gone once, spent a week and left because I worked then. I have regretted it since; it deserved more time. We are now planning to go back since we are retired and take as much time as is required and make a sweet of the entire NW.

If you are working, I understand trying to "get there" and "get back" due to time constraints. I used to go as fast as I could to various locations because I wanted to "see" them but had no time to actually "SEE" them. Now, most of them are on our "to do" list of things to revisit and actually take the time to enjoy.

10 hour days towing is, to me at this stage of life, a VERY long day and doing it consecutively for any number of days would ruin the following days as I tried to recuperate. And take the 50mph average to heart. I used to average 70+mph everywhere I went (non towing), then 60mph (non towing) and now about 50mph (towing). It will take a good while to make the trip. We take 3 nights and 4 days (one 3 hour day) to go the 1300 miles to see my daughter in FL.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #12
glendar10

Ok you are retired and have nothing better to do. But some of us work and only gave a certain time off of work and are looking for information. And welll if we had the time it would be great but we don’t do any ideas on any good place to camp around the places we are trying to go to in a short tim frame? We have seen all of them except devils mont. already and just want to see a little more. Not get told it can’t be done as I know it can an I bet you did it before so why not help alittke
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Ok you are retired and have nothing better to do. But some of us work and only gave a certain time off of work and are looking for information. And welll if we had the time it would be great but we don’t do any ideas on any good place to camp around the places we are trying to go to in a short tim frame? We have seen all of them except devils mont. already and just want to see a little more. Not get told it can’t be done as I know it can an I bet you did it before so why not help alittke

I have done it just as you are trying to do, and have done. And I, like you, regret not spending more time and seeing what there was to see when I went instead of sitting down the road "just wanting to see a little more". That's all I was trying to tell you. If you want to hit it like a whirlwind and talk about all the things there was to see and do that you didn't do years from now, by all means do it. I've been all over the country "seeing things" like a whirlwind but not really "seeing"/"experiencing" them and now, years later, want to go back and revisit because my previous visits were so superficial because I had to work. Just trying to point out that reality (to help) for your consideration, not be berated. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
Zoe

Another hidden treasure

Pipestone National Monument is in southwestern Minnesota, not far off 90. Don’t know how far out of the way you are willing to go, but it is well worth the drive! Beautiful park with great trails, a museum visitor center and historical and cultural exhibits. A gem!! Enjoy your trip!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Looking to make a trip from Chicago to Yellowstone park and stops at devils tower and my rush more. Have two weeks to do it. Any good ideas on stops on the way there and back? No long days of driving , maybe 8 at most, but less would be better. Pulling a Cougar 29rks with a 2019 6.7 swd. For the first time.

Thanks
glendar10,

Here's your first post in this thread. You say, "No long days of driving, maybe 8 at most..." People are telling you that you're not going from Chicago to Yellowstone Park with stops at Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore in the time frame you have allocated and see anything or be able to keep it to 8 hours of driving.... No need to get angry about the advice. Every person who has responded has said essentially the same thing, "You're trying to cram too much into a 2 week vacation and it can't be done, provided you want to see anything at your "destinations"....

We realize you still work, we understand that "because we all either "were working" are "are still working".... Most all of us, if we were "still working" would be telling you the same thing: You can't limit driving to 8 hours a day and see the three "distant locations" you've scheduled and do it in a 14 day vacation, unless your objective is just to "touch the ground" at each location. To be able to stop and see the sights at each will take much more time than you've allocated.

The suggestions to do "one of them this year" and schedule the others for another year would provide you with an alternative to "needing a vacation from your vacation".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
dblanch57

Glen, it can be done, we did it about five years ago. I think I used the good sam trip planner. At Devils tower, (back then) there was a campground right at the gate to devils tower. Nothing special but it had full hookups. If you have been to Yellowstone you already know that the only campground with hookups is at fishing bridge. I think some go the the west gate and there are many campgrounds there. Yeah it is a long drive but with planning you can do it. I stopped driving mid afternoon in order to rest on the days we were on the road. Yes, we would like to go back and spend more time, but time away together is a vacation in itself.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
glendar10

Thank you for your information . I did know it could be done but everone that answers has there idea on how and what they want to do. Two years ago we spent 3 day in yellow stone an a day at my Rushmore so we have an idea of what we missed. Wife missed devils tower and well that was what we are really going . What I was asking was if any them had any idea of good camp grounds , like you said about Yellowstone. I don’t believe we will stay in Yellowstone maybe just out of it to the west as I think there may be less crowd there.
I thank you for your mail .
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #18
glendar10

From what I read fishing bridge camp ground is closed all rest of year and all of 2019. I read it on there web site.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch57 View Post
Glen, it can be done, we did it about five years ago. I think I used the good sam trip planner. At Devils tower, (back then) there was a campground right at the gate to devils tower. Nothing special but it had full hookups. If you have been to Yellowstone you already know that the only campground with hookups is at fishing bridge. I think some go the the west gate and there are many campgrounds there. Yeah it is a long drive but with planning you can do it. I stopped driving mid afternoon in order to rest on the days we were on the road. Yes, we would like to go back and spend more time, but time away together is a vacation in itself.
A sour note: Fishing Bridge will be closed for the 2019 season per the NPS website. Mammoth Hot Springs allowed rigs longer than 25' (front bikes to rear box) the other campgrounds didn't when we went through in 2015.

We have been to Yellowstone many times over the last 60+ years, from both coasts. Total time in the park or area is several months, still more we need to see.

If you are zooming to what you want to see, skip the RV parks on the way, crash at Walmart, HD, Lowes, etc. Hookup time is wasted time if you want to see anything when you get there.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #20
travelin texans

campgroundreviews.com, rv parky, good Sams & several other apps are all good choices to find overnight stops. But with all you are wanting to do in 14 days you won't need to many, you'll be driving 'round the clock. Just my .02 cents. Yes we're retired, but for 40 years we tried to do exactly what you're doing & swore I'd never do it again (til next years vacation).
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote