Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5 View Post
We don't come close on any of those. Where its a little sketchy (for me) is that we are 900lbs on the tongue and we're only a half-ton truck. The axle can handle about 30% more, but the springs can't. Hence the bags.
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

You've already been beat on pretty good about weights, truck size, etc. One thing that was not addressed was tongue weight. I'm guessing, with a half-ton you have 1000lbs limit on your receiver with a WDH. Something to be aware of as you start to add weight to the front of your rig.

I went through exactly the same thoughts in my mind when I bought my Impact. PM me if you want to discuss. If not, happy camping. Best to you and your family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #22
Chris P

Quote:
Hello everyone! New member checking in from Surprise, AZ. We just picked up our Keystone Cougar 28RBSWE from Camping World of Mesa.

Wish I could say it was all flowers and rainbows, but the last 2 weeks have been stressful and I am just glad the Cougar is home now.

I married into an RV family, and for the last year we've been trying to get the cards to fall into place so we could have our own trailer, vs. surfing the couch in the in-laws 5er.

We bought the TV last year with the intention of getting a TT. She's a 16 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with Ramboxes.

And now, just over 1 year later, we purchased a 2017 Cougar.

All the major items were working great when we picked her up. There are some trim and fit issues, but we'll get those fixed after our first shake down run in 2 weeks. Being in AZ, we will get to enjoy year round camping. As an example, it's supposed to get to 80 tomorrow. I've felt some sorrow for those of you that have to winterize your trailers.

I have a mod list about a 30 items long. The biggest one is air bags, which arrive from Amazon on Sunday. We had to pull her about 60 miles from the dealer, and through rush hour traffic. I am hopeful we didn't buy too much trailer for our TV.

This noobie is grateful to hear any and all mod suggestions.

Check out Etrailer when you get a chance .They gave a lot of tow vehicle stuff that may help your situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #23
Danny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
Hey Danny, I'm debating the bags my self. What bags are you debating? On board compressor? Keep us posted on the mods I probably enjoy surfing those conversations the most. I'm also debating the sulastic springs to soften up my unloaded ride. Happy Trails my friend!
I bought Air Lift 1000 Series air bags from Amazon

http://a.co/iQAndh8

Not currently considering an onboard compressor. These bags are rated to a max of 35psi, so any old cheap 12v compressor will work. Heck, I have a factory one in my Chevy as it didn't come with a spare.

This is probably one of the best riding trucks I've owned, it's almost luxurious. Rides better than my Chevy for sure.

I've been known to write up my mods. Depends on the interest, and whether or not it's been shown before.

Here is a write up I did on my Bak Revolver Tonneau cover:

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/rambox_r...l_review-99624
Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #24
Hodgy

Danny I am also going to install air bag helpers for my TV. The Hellwig #6012 are the only "approved" NO DRILL I could find for my truck. Although Firestone have #2250 for 2500 & 3500 HD NO DRILL that looks like they would fit.

Just watching the prices right now and if they come on sale will grab a set and install them in the spring.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/hellwi...lverado-sierra

I was going to install the Schrader valves on the licence plate like I have seen done before. But I ran across this video where they put them on the 7 way connector, I like that better.

Good write up on the Tonneau cover, lots of photos, I like that.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #25
Danny5

Those are nice looking Hodgy. More like the conventional bags I am used too. The Air Lift are like air shocks all grown up.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

My original post about the truck/trailer combo with explanations and examples was given due to the stated concern that the trailer might be too big for the truck. As I said, I think it will work you just have to be careful in how you load it. Not trying to preach or be argumentative - just trying to be what I thought was helpful; sorry if it was taken otherwise.

As far as AirLift 1000s on a Ram 1/2 ton I have done that. The biggest issue I had was installing them in very cold weather. I had to heat them up to make them pliable enough to push into the coil springs. You will want to extend the springs (don't remember if that was in the instructions or not). Just be sure you secure the truck when suspended with jacks/jackstands etc. I did not remove the wheel/tires but should have; it would have been easier. I did not run individual lines to each bag; I teed it so I could air it up in one shot. The bumper on my 13 had a plastic strip right above the bumper and that's where I placed the air valve - on the side near the plate light.

You are going to have a great time with DW and the kids in the new trailer and I wish you the best. Just keep in mind some of the things I said about the towing. You will feel the semis passing. Bear that in mind - it's the nature of the beast with a long trailer and a 1/2 ton. And yes, the Ram 1/2 tons do have a nice ride...but, that can also be an issue when trying to support that trailer so don't forget to upgrade the tires and check your hitch/bumper rating - it will probably be OK but could be close.

Edit: AND Welcome to the forum! Lots of good folks and info here and we DO care about those and their families that join looking for fun, safe travels.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #27
Danny5

Thanks Danny!

I've watched a few install videos, and I have access to a lift. We had *record* heat yesterday, 84 degrees, so cold weather should be a non issue I am going to do the zip-tie method, where you compress the spring and zip tie it all folded up to insert into the coil spring. Jury out on the single air fitting per bag or together as one. Would probably prefer them together, but if the T-fitting doesn't come with the kit, I am not going to worry about it.

Heading out to Wally World today to get the required equipment in a few. Sewer hose, water hose, black flush hose, surge protector, and maybe some other goodies. The mod list is growing!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

I just looked at the installation instructions for your truck and it appears it is different than when I installed mine. I did not have a bump stop inside the spring and the air hose came out of the top through an existing hole. I just compressed the bag and pushed it through the side of the extended spring. Looks like a lift is going to be very handy. I also looks like it comes with the tee.

If you get the surge guard get a good one. They make some that cost $150 or so but they don't do a lot for you. The more expensive models have all kinds of safeguards, monitors and readouts to tell you what's going on; faults, incoming voltage, amps used etc. Invaluable to have and ours has saved our bacon multiple times.

Get the little L connector for the water hose to reduce strain on your fresh water inlet, a water pressure regulator, inline water filter, a length of TV coax (if you intend to be at an established campground and use TV), a clear elbow for the sewer outlet (extremely helpful), a black tank flush water hose (label it as such), adapter/connector for the sewer connection, chocks, hitch locks, .......the list is endless but those will probably get you set up
Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Just an FYI- the list of mods/must haves NEVER ends!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #30
Danny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just an FYI- the list of mods/must haves NEVER ends!
That can't be right. At some point, you sell it for a new one. Right?

Look what came in while at Walmart!!!

Install took just over 2 hours in my garage. We don't need no stinking lift!

Set the pressure in the middle at 20psi (5-35psi range). Rides pretty stiff. Might air down a bit if DW complains.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Thanks!

I am currently working on a list that is 40 lines long. Anyone have any advice on how to permanently mount items to the walls? Other than Oscar Rivets? Those things are crazy expensive!!!
I've used 3M Command strips to hang most everything, if 2 should hold it I put 4 & be sure to clean both surfaces with alcohol. So far in 5 years of fulltime travel nothing has fallen off the walls or shelves.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That can't be right. At some point, you sell it for a new one. Right?

Look what came in while at Walmart!!!

Install took just over 2 hours in my garage. We don't need no stinking lift!

Set the pressure in the middle at 20psi (5-35psi range). Rides pretty stiff. Might air down a bit if DW complains.
Don't remember exactly but I think unloaded I ran about 5 or 10 psi. Makes a better ride (like OEM). Air up for towing or carrying stuff. Probably in the pamphlet??
Old 12-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #33
Danny5

Spent the morning modding the Cougar. Although my mods were pretty minor ones;
  • Ran heater for 20 minutes to remove new heater odor
  • Moved spare tire so baggage door can open
  • Added screen door handles to both doors
  • Taped up A/C unit intake and blower compartments
  • Blocked end of vent ducts with foam so there is no wasted A/C
  • Installed step carpet on first step of stairs
  • Installed LEDs at all marker lights
  • Labeled all keys so I know where they go (4 keys, really?)

Decided to order a peel and stick toilet paper holder rather than drill holes in the cabinetry.

I had bought a black bin from Wally World to put all sewer stuff in, but it turns out it's too big for either baggage compartment. Back to the drawing board on that one.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Danny5

Hey Sourdough, I finally have the trailer at the house and wanted to show you the 4-point hitch we have. I believe it's not the "cheap" model?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hey Sourdough, I finally have the trailer at the house and wanted to show you the 4-point hitch we have. I believe it's not the "cheap" model?

Danny5, from what I can see isn't that an e2 wdh? If so, I'm pretty sure that is only a 2 point friction sway control. With a 32', 8200 lb trailer on a 1/2 ton I would sure want a 4 point system. Is that one made by Fastway?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #36
66joej

^Agree with Sourdough it does not look like my E4 at the hitch ball end.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #37
Danny5

Just got back from our shakedown. You're right, it's a 2-point sway control. I shall exit, stage left!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Just got back from our shakedown. You're right, it's a 2-point sway control. I shall exit, stage left!

While exiting stage left, you might want to find a 4 point sway control.....