Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
440justin

Camper dangling from I-275 overpass

My sister lives in Tampa and sent me this news story today.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...e-275-overpass

Sounds like reports are saying the SUV blew a rear tire, but looking into the SUV and trailer weights being overweight has to be a factor in this.

The trailer based on current model year has a UVW of 4,005lbs and a TW of 405lbs, based on current 2018 Ford Explorer the best two ratings you can get is for 5,000lbs trailer and a TW of 500lbs with weight distribution. Figuring some quick numbers for a hitch, two full propane tanks, and a battery they were easily at 600lbs+ TW before loading anything into the trailer and could of easily been at 5,000lbs trailer weight. I could not quickly find payload numbers for the Explorer on the Ford website, but I would not be surprised to see a number of 1,000lbs or less, so with some people, cargo and TW the SUV could have been easily overloaded.

But maybe they only take short trips on flat Florida roads so they don’t have to worry about payload capacity and weight ratings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

They are fortunate the trailer didn't launch the SUV like a trebuchet. I can just imagine the driver's comments to the police..."but the salesman said it would be just fine."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
RV6APilot

From the story it appears that the tow vehicle and trailer were not at
fault as the trailer was hit by a 20yo driving a Hyundai Elantra. She was
cited for wreckless driving.

Gene, Janeen(DW), Lil Bit(Yorkie) and Aero(Munchkin Cat)
2006 Ford F350 CC, Dually diesel Long bed
2009 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2005 Vans RV6A
Hunter 34' sailboat
RV6APilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
kfxgreenie

"According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the camper was being towed northbound on I-275 when, just before 11 a.m., the driver of a Hyundai Elantra drifted out of her lane and into the trailer before spinning out and knocking the trailer into the wall."

Weight police to the rescue!
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
440justin

Being over weight is a factor in not being able to control the trailer in an emergency situation.

Work the numbers on the Explorer it just does not work with that trailer.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Not knowing the specifics but going by the story the driver of the tow car may not have been able to do a thing about how it played out; on the other hand....

Looking at the numbers Justin provided it sure appears that the Explorer was probably overweight. That, combined with the fact that the Explorer, from frame (or lack of), suspension, length, handling etc. is NOT built to tow a travel trailer. I owned a 2017 for 11 months and dumped it because of those reasons - I sure liked the looks of it, the interior and electronics, just hated to drive it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
ChuckS

Op was lucky things weren’t worse... Ford Explorer is one of the worst tow vehicles on the planet. Several years ago Uhaul would not rent any trailer to someone with an explorer. Maybe they are better now. Doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

I looked thru the chopper video and still shots. Notice the propane tanks where off, looked like removed by EMS and placed away from scene. No photos show them lying about or being removed just side by side with the cover away from scene. The Explorer has WDH and in the end of video showed pulling and u turning with trailer and driving to outer shoulder under it's own power. From the chopper view the TV and TT appeared level together. My opinion if it was overloaded maybe it had air bags. I did not see which side the other vehicle hit the combo or where. It may have hit the TT drivers side foreword of the wheels. I thought they would be more visible damage. The Explorer looks undamaged. Lucky folks in both vehicles.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Op was lucky things weren’t worse... Ford Explorer is one of the worst tow vehicles on the planet. Several years ago Uhaul would not rent any trailer to someone with an explorer. Maybe they are better now. Doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a 100% sure but I think Uhaul would not rent trailers to be towed by Explorers was because of the Firestone tires.
As a commuter they were OK. I had one back then.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
vampress_me

I’m just amazed/ astonished by the lack of damage to the trailer for ending up where it did. The only visible damage is in front of the drivers side camper tires. For not being very well-constructed (when compared to a S&B house, or even a horse trailer) they can surprise by how well they can hold up when subjected to unusual accidents.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Steveo57

I wonder what it looks like inside. However it managed to jump that wall must have been quite a ride and probably turned the inside of the trailer into a mess!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If the refrigerator stayed closed, there's an omlette in there just waiting for them to reconnect the propane tanks and break out a frying pan......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post
My sister lives in Tampa and sent me this news story today.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...e-275-overpass

Sounds like reports are saying the SUV blew a rear tire, but looking into the SUV and trailer weights being overweight has to be a factor in this.

The trailer based on current model year has a UVW of 4,005lbs and a TW of 405lbs, based on current 2018 Ford Explorer the best two ratings you can get is for 5,000lbs trailer and a TW of 500lbs with weight distribution. Figuring some quick numbers for a hitch, two full propane tanks, and a battery they were easily at 600lbs+ TW before loading anything into the trailer and could of easily been at 5,000lbs trailer weight. I could not quickly find payload numbers for the Explorer on the Ford website, but I would not be surprised to see a number of 1,000lbs or less, so with some people, cargo and TW the SUV could have been easily overloaded.

But maybe they only take short trips on flat Florida roads so they don’t have to worry about payload capacity and weight ratings.

Always like those that first assume the the cause of crash is an overloaded TV and trailer.
This time it was another driver that hit their trailer that caused the crash. Was the operator of the Explorer and trailer were just driving along.
They may be close to limits, but without factual weight information. Actually not completely reading the story.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
440justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Always like those that first assume the the cause of crash is an overloaded TV and trailer.
This time it was another driver that hit their trailer that caused the crash. Was the operator of the Explorer and trailer were just driving along.
They may be close to limits, but without factual weight information. Actually not completely reading the story.
If you notice the news story has updated time after I posted, the original story noted a flat tire maybe the cause. The Fox news video of when the trailer and SUV were being driven forward after the taller was lifted back to the road clearly show a rear flat tire on the SUV as well so the story and video matched. They obviously update to report some new information they received hours after the accident.

I was looking at the numbers to see how a short wheel base SUV could pull that big of a trailer. I didn't make up numbers, I looked up the trailer and SUV numbers for the manufacturers website and added in weight for the two propane tanks (can be seen in the pictures) and WDH ( again can be seen in the pictures) and a battery and noting else and was already greater that the 500#TW the best optioned Explorer is rates for. I was just reporting the numbers I worked up, anyone is free to work up their own numbers for the combo.

So while at or over limits work fine when everything is ok it maybe not the best when an emergency situation arises. The trailer being hit by the other car caused trailer sway the SUV was not able to handle given the short wheel base and being at or above capacity. The photos show the driver's side of the at fault car damaged so it might of clipped the passenger side of the trailer and got it swaying really bad to get it to jump over the wall like that.

The bigger take away I am trying to make is we all should think about how well our setup could handle an emergency situation such as fast stop or swerve to avoid an accident and what could happen to us, our loved ones or bystanders if we can't handle it. Nothing is ever 100% safe but we should do what we can.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I believe the working definition of "an accident" is when under preparation meets over-prepared opportunity for chaos.

Does running at or over the edge lead to problems every time? Of course not.

Does running at or over the edge lead to a higher potential to experience problems and mayhem every time? Absolutely. Every time.

The potential risk of bad things happening can be reduced by our actions, decisions and forethought. Scouting teaches this principle succintly: BE PREPARED.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post
If you notice the news story has updated time after I posted, the original story noted a flat tire maybe the cause. The Fox news video of when the trailer and SUV were being driven forward after the taller was lifted back to the road clearly show a rear flat tire on the SUV as well so the story and video matched. They obviously update to report some new information they received hours after the accident.

I was looking at the numbers to see how a short wheel base SUV could pull that big of a trailer. I didn't make up numbers, I looked up the trailer and SUV numbers for the manufacturers website and added in weight for the two propane tanks (can be seen in the pictures) and WDH ( again can be seen in the pictures) and a battery and noting else and was already greater that the 500#TW the best optioned Explorer is rates for. I was just reporting the numbers I worked up, anyone is free to work up their own numbers for the combo.

So while at or over limits work fine when everything is ok it maybe not the best when an emergency situation arises. The trailer being hit by the other car caused trailer sway the SUV was not able to handle given the short wheel base and being at or above capacity. The photos show the driver's side of the at fault car damaged so it might of clipped the passenger side of the trailer and got it swaying really bad to get it to jump over the wall like that.

The bigger take away I am trying to make is we all should think about how well our setup could handle an emergency situation such as fast stop or swerve to avoid an accident and what could happen to us, our loved ones or bystanders if we can't handle it. Nothing is ever 100% safe but we should do what we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I believe the working definition of "an accident" is when under preparation meets over-prepared opportunity for chaos.

Does running at or over the edge lead to problems every time? Of course not.

Does running at or over the edge lead to a higher potential to experience problems and mayhem every time? Absolutely. Every time.

The potential risk of bad things happening can be reduced by our actions, decisions and forethought. Scouting teaches this principle succintly: BE PREPARED.

Do you want to be 100% safe Stay Home.
I say that once things go south, 90% of the outcome is the result of "Driver Skill"!
I would say once the RV was basically PITed by the SUV, in what appears to be limited space they did a good job of keeping the complete rig right side up. Keep in mind the trailer was hit twice, by the SUV.
I also see more damage to the trailer in the pictures, there appears to be a big ding at the passenger side front cap to side joint about halfway up.
The big issue is Driver Skill going out the door of late, less education of the sciences mainly physics. I am not talking the high level physics, but basic physics.
When I was learning to drive, I was taught "Defensive Driving" this to be always looking for what could happen and what to do to avoid or recover from it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Do you want to be 100% safe Stay Home.
I say that once things go south, 90% of the outcome is the result of "Driver Skill"!
I would say once the RV was basically PITed by the SUV, in what appears to be limited space they did a good job of keeping the complete rig right side up. Keep in mind the trailer was hit twice, by the SUV.
I also see more damage to the trailer in the pictures, there appears to be a big ding at the passenger side front cap to side joint about halfway up.
The big issue is Driver Skill going out the door of late, less education of the sciences mainly physics. I am not talking the high level physics, but basic physics.
When I was learning to drive, I was taught "Defensive Driving" this to be always looking for what could happen and what to do to avoid or recover from it.
Stay home, no thank you.

Ever be completely safe. No way either as there are other drivers and chaos and random acts of stupidity out there.

Can those effects be lessened. Absolutely. By not being on the edge.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. You can run what and however you want. I won't begrudge you.

However, that 90% you speak of is just so much good luck without proper preparation. The driver of this trailer may have been Jeff Gordan for all we know. With a better set up he may have simlpy been up against the rail instead of almost over it. We'll never know what could of been. So it's all conjecture.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #18
linux3

A little real world experience:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=linux3
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

As far as the flat tire, I have 1st hand experience on freeway crashes. When a vehicle is pushed sideways a tire can come off the Bead where it is seated into the wheel. Actually common. By inspecting the tire any trooper with some experience can see if it blew out or was flat before or during the crash.
We had a 1998 Explorer with AWD and a 5.0 v-8. U-haul would not let me rent anything to tow behind it. I tried to by just towing a flat bed to the house and hook it up to the f350. I pulled the current listed boat with it and a smaller one. Besides going up a hill at 35 instead of 55 as with the truck it handled fine.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote