Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
linux3

Balance TT tires

I searched but couldn't fine an answer.
When I get new tires for my TT do I have them balanced?
Local tire store says they don't USUALLY balance trailer tires but isn't balance for ride and tire life?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
wobly

Yes, balance the tires. It will extend the life of the tire and have less wear and tear bouncing down the road.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
Yes, balance the tires. It will extend the life of the tire and have less wear and tear bouncing down the road.
I agree.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Hblick48

Ever seen a car on the highway with a tire bouncing up and down...it's not balanced. Can't be good for the tire. Balance for the sake of the tire, not ride or comfort.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
bob91yj

I've never understood why trailer tires don't get balanced. I agree, get them balanced.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
mazboy

the tire place is correct, many places don't bother with balancing trailer tires. but, what the heck, have it done anyway.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
the tire place is correct, many places don't bother with balancing trailer tires. but, what the heck, have it done anyway.
My thought is if it spins it gets balanced! We have 16” tires on our 5er they are balanced!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I'm in the balance is better camp. Depending on your wheels they may require lug centric balancing. Ask your tire guy if he can balance lug centric instead of hub centric.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's look at it from a purely selfish perspective. If you balance your tires, it means you'll have to spend money and possibly remove one of the means to gripe about Keystone's poor construction. Just think, as long as you save the money and don't balance your tires, you can "wobble and bobble down the road" shaking things off the wall, loosening screws and bolts and maintaining that "leverage to complain about Keystone".... Who in their right mind would actually balance tires and give up the ability to blame things on Keystone ????

Ok, sports fans, back to your regular programming.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
gearhead

If something can be balanced, balance it.
Lawnmower blades, truck tires, pump impellers, turbine rotors, and yes Keystone trailer tires.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Definitely get them balanced. Many tire places don't balance trailer tires on small utility and pop-up trailers. Most of those are 8" and 12" tires.

I'm sure yours are bigger...right...so balance them.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
Local150

My tire guy suggested they be balanced
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Definitely get them balanced. Many tire places don't balance trailer tires on small utility and pop-up trailers. Most of those are 8" and 12" tires.

I'm sure yours are bigger...right...so balance them.
I remember my BF in high school telling me after a cross country family trip from MD to CA towing a pop-up, when they got home the tires had flat spots on them. Bet they weren't balanced!
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:32 AM   #14
Dave W

Balance them. If you can find someone that can do them 'lug centric', that's best. 'Hub centric' will work too but the balance may be a bit off
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #15
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If something can be balanced, balance it.
Lawnmower blades, truck tires, pump impellers, turbine rotors, and yes Keystone trailer tires.

Behind this all the way !

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
wobly

I decided to replace the Trailer King RST's on my Cougar 29BHS. I was going to order the Goodyear Endurance from Discount Tire Direct to save a few bucks, but I wanted the tires installed before we take a long trip over Labor Day weekend. One of the local Discount Tire stores in Colorado Springs had 5 of the tires that they could install this past Saturday morning. I took the wheel assemblies off the trailer and delivered them to the shop. They swapped the tires over and let me compare the new Goodyears to the old Trailer Kings. The Goodyear tires are a solid, firm tire with a strong sidewall that instills confidence without even being on the rim. When you roll them, they roll straight and don't wobble. They weigh about 35 pounds each. The Trailer King's, on the other hand, scared the crap out of me! When I pushed down on the tire without it being on the rim, it almost folded in half! The sidewall was soft and floppy. When you roll it while off the rim, they wobble and don't go in the direction you push it. They weighed probably around 17 pounds. I was glad to get them off of the trailer!

But, how this is relevant to this thread.... When I got the wheels home, my daughter was rolling them out of the back of the truck to me and I noticed that none of the rims had balancing weights. I called Discount and they told me to bring them back. I did and the manager happened to be walking through the bays when I pulled up. He asked why I was back and I told him. He looked at two of the rims and called a guy over to balance them immediately. He left for a couple of minutes and came back apologizing to me while handing me a $50 bill saying "Lunch is on us. This isn't the way we do business." All 5 tires were balanced in about 20 minutes.

If I had taken the trailer in and let them remove the wheel assemblies and then remount them, I wouldn't have caught that the tires weren't balanced. Just something for people to check for after they swap their tires.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
I decided to replace the Trailer King RST's on my Cougar 29BHS. I was going to order the Goodyear Endurance from Discount Tire Direct to save a few bucks, but I wanted the tires installed before we take a long trip over Labor Day weekend. One of the local Discount Tire stores in Colorado Springs had 5 of the tires that they could install this past Saturday morning. I took the wheel assemblies off the trailer and delivered them to the shop. They swapped the tires over and let me compare the new Goodyears to the old Trailer Kings. The Goodyear tires are a solid, firm tire with a strong sidewall that instills confidence without even being on the rim. When you roll them, they roll straight and don't wobble. They weigh about 35 pounds each. The Trailer King's, on the other hand, scared the crap out of me! When I pushed down on the tire without it being on the rim, it almost folded in half! The sidewall was soft and floppy. When you roll it while off the rim, they wobble and don't go in the direction you push it. They weighed probably around 17 pounds. I was glad to get them off of the trailer!

But, how this is relevant to this thread.... When I got the wheels home, my daughter was rolling them out of the back of the truck to me and I noticed that none of the rims had balancing weights. I called Discount and they told me to bring them back. I did and the manager happened to be walking through the bays when I pulled up. He asked why I was back and I told him. He looked at two of the rims and called a guy over to balance them immediately. He left for a couple of minutes and came back apologizing to me while handing me a $50 bill saying "Lunch is on us. This isn't the way we do business." All 5 tires were balanced in about 20 minutes.

If I had taken the trailer in and let them remove the wheel assemblies and then remount them, I wouldn't have caught that the tires weren't balanced. Just something for people to check for after they swap their tires.
Well I took the whole 32’ 5er in to have tires replaced, stated mount and balance 1st tire on no weight on out side, asked and they were only weighting the back side, I asked dynamic balance weighs both inside and outside.

Did the same with DD 30’ GN horse trailer, took the whole works in.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Nagrompj

Don’t forget to have the brake drums balanced.
All of my drums where at least 3-1/2 oz out of balance. If memory serves me I think one was almost 6 oz out.

Tags
tires