Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
Hodgy

So how does someone on a assembly line get the plumbing wrong? He/She has been doing the same thing for years and you get a trailer plumbed wrong.

Boggles the mind.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #22
Freeheel4life

I would imagine turnover in RV manufacturing plants is pretty common, but who knows?? Maybe they all take great care of their employees and they stay for years.
When I lived in Baker City I knew some people that worked out at the Northwood plant and it seemed like they certainly had turnover of younger unskilled labor. I bet that could lead to some mistakes on the line.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

So how does someone on a assembly line get the plumbing wrong? He/She has been doing the same thing for years and you get a trailer plumbed wrong.

Boggles the mind.

This is not intended to be a "defense of the Keystone workforce" but the Alpine 3800FK and 3801FK are "new in 2018 floorplans" and have not been "done for years". How many of us have "lived by the mantra" of "I WON'T BUY THE FIRST MODEL YEAR OF A NEW VEHICLE" ???? Maybe the same should "ring true" for first model year trailers as well as for vehicles ???? Who knows, the OP's trailer may have been the very first one that came off the assembly line, then again, maybe not ??? In any case, it shouldn't have been plumbed as it was. Whatever the cause, it's not a "doing the same thing for years" kind of situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #24
AlpineOppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Since. Since you're going I will too.
Sense. Makes sense to me.
Cents. That costs fifty cents.
Scent. That flower has a nice scent.
Sent. I just sent an email.

Oh great. Now we have spell ck police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Ford 350 6.4 Diesel Fx4
2009 Keystone Montana 2955
Currently
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummings Diesel 4x4 long bed srw
2014 Keystone Alpine 3010 RE
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #25
BSHGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Since. Since you're going I will too.
Sense. Makes sense to me.
Cents. That costs fifty cents.
Scent. That flower has a nice scent.
Sent. I just sent an email.
My EX wife would start this stuff with me on ocassion
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
FlyingAroundRV

I figured out another way a trailer could be mis plumbed. I believe that a given plant will make one model trailer for a number of units, then switch over to another model for a number of units. I can imagine the plumbing mistake happening with the changeover. The problem with my theory is that it would be possible for a whole run of trailers to be mis plumbed, so if ther's one out there, there may be more waiting to be discovered!
I would definitely class this kind of plumbing mistake as a health hazard.
I for one am VERY thankful to the OP for posting this as it is something I hadn't considered could happen on a production line. We are about to purchase a new trailer and this is something which I will add to my personal PDI checklist!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #27
Macdaddy

3801 FK - same problem

Me too. Brand New 3801FK. Two short camping trips so far- each time we have “shower night” it adds a dot to the black tank monitor. When I dump the tanks there is about a gallon at most in the rear grey tank - the black tank is usually almost full. I use a clear plastic adapter so I can validate the nature of the tank - my last camper had grey and black mis-labelled.

So - definitely mis-plumbed, I’ll be calling the dealer tomorrow.
Macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #28
relmiller

3800FK Shower to Black Tank

I purchased my '18 Alpine 3800 FK (love the layout) and found on the first trip that the shower drained into the black tank. I contacted the company (not the dealer) and was told that this was "by design" to help flush the tank better. I'd read that other owners were receiving authorization to have the problem fixed by my CSR was insistent it was by design after contacting the design department and Keystone would not be authorizing a fix.

IMHO it's a horrible "design" feature and absolutely allows for cross-contamination of the system (not to mention the issue of shower backup when the "black tank" fills during a long shower).

Anyway, just wanted to quickly relay my problem and the "answers" I've been given thus far.
relmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

relmiller,

First, welcome to the forum...

As for your comments about the shower draining into the black tank, how did you determine that? and.... By chance, does the toilet drain into the gray tank? The reason I ask is that all RV manufacturers, Keystone certainly in that bunch, have a long history of putting the "black/gray" labels over the wrong tank drain valves..... I'm not saying yours isn't plumbed with the shower going into the black tank, rather I'm suggesting that if you haven't gone any further than pulling the black tank valve and shower water comes out, you might want to dig a little deeper....

To answer the next obvious question: What comes out of the sewer connection when you pull the gray water valve???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #30
rbrdriver

We have a 2019 Alpine 3700FL and early on discovered the dump valve handles were mislabeled. We have 2 black tanks and 2 gray tanks, therefore 4 handles. I have since relabeled them myself and now everything is cool.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank