Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Kunkler

Slideout Problems

I have just bought an 02' keystone bobcat with slideout. It has set for around 4 years with nothing done to it I mean nothing. We have cleaned it out and washed everythign down. I have noticed a little water damage but thats not my problem. I tryed to extend out the slide and I think its a super slide it has the couch and table in it. When I try to extend it it needs help going out and in. It will go all the way out except for about 4 inches and I have to pull on both ends to get it back in. All the tim doing that i have to give it a break or the motor will reset. I have it very close to leavel with the jacks down and the camper is pluged in. I did spray some silicon on the track (I know prob not the right stuff to use) and it might have helped a bit but not much. Is it possable that I need to just work it in and out to get it loosened up? I just dont want to burn the motor up or damage something.

any ideas?
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Ruffus

Question Questions

Are your batteries fully charged, these run off your 12 volt system!
Secondly are the slide rails clean? The lube for mine is a dry type lube.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Kunkler

Slideout Problems

I thought I could run it out with it being pluged in. The battries have some charge but I'm not sure if they are fully charged. I threw the breakers last night an the battries ran the lights. They are as old as teh camper and never changed!! So I know I need to replace them, but thought the 110volt would runt the slide.

Abotu the rails they were rusty not bad bad but rusty. I thought maybe lubing them and running the slide in and out might loosen it up...

your thoughts, I'm open to any ideas. this is my first slide and dont want to have thousands in repairs. I am rather handy so I feel I can work on any problems I may have, but direction is allways welcomed...

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" purchase. You might try plugging in your tow vehicle, run the engine and then try operating the slide to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, you might want to check out your battery - if it is in bad shape and won't take and keep a charge, then this might account for your problem.
You might also want to do a SEARCH on the forum. I assume you have a Lippert slide and mechanism ---- if you type in "Lippert slide" in the SEARCH option found at the top of the Home Page, you will see numerous posts about sticking slides, leaking slides, etc. You might get some ideas from these posts. If you go to the Lippert website, there are manuals that you can download as well.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Kunkler

slideout problems

When I get a little more time I will check that out.
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
hhh

I had a similar problem with a slide out. Check your electrical connections from the battery to the 12 volt buss bar. If there is a bad connection the current to operate the motor could be limited.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Kunkler

Lightbulb

I did check the battery and it was junk. I tryed to hook it up to the truck and still not great and it is also pluged in still not great. Like i said before it did set for a while so you may be on the right track, I will check the connections and try it again.

Thanks for the idea
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Jim W

Here is a link to the Lippert slides that are used in the Cougar campers. http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...uals&Itemid=66
In this link there are several different slides styles to choose from.
Most of them operate the same way they just have different components in the slides. On Page 7, of the Sofa slide they state that the battery needs to be fully charge and hooked-up to the electrical system. To ensure proper operation of the slide.
I have always used either the tow vehicle running and or have been plugged into shore power with a fully charged battery to extend the slides. I find this is easier on the batteries and the slide motors. We have three slides so the batteries can be drawn down pretty fast if I do not use shore power or the tow vehicle running to supplement them.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Kunkler

Talking Taken Care of

I have finaly worked on the slide out. i went and bought a new marien battery for the camper. as you may remember i try the slide out iwth just electric and just power from the truck and both at one point. well all i needed was a new battery. it put the new one in and it works just fine, i fint it kind of wierd but whatever the case all i needed was a battery. thanks to all that helped out and if anyelse has this problem this fixed mine...