Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Braysgrandpa

Entry steps

DW is tired of the shakey, steep fold up steps that came with our 2018 high country 340bh. As of now I am leaning toward the mor/ryde steps. Any true believers/true haters with suggestions? Anybody install them and have any advice? I watched a video on YouTube and that guy made it look super easy, but YouTube isn't always necessarily true to life...
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
MarkEHansen

I have the Mor/Ryde steps installed by Keystone on our 2019 26RMSWE and love them.
I don't have any information on installing them, however.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Tbos

Big truck big RV on you tube just took theirs off and went with a glow step. It is also supposed to be real sturdy and looked like an easy install.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Just remove the threshold trim, put the steps in the doorway. Center them and then put about 4 of the screws in where the threshold will cover any goofs. Test operation and then put the rest of the screws in. Put the threshold trim back on and your done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
ajk170

I haven’t replaced my stock stairs in our 316RL but we too have grown tired of them feeling like they are going to fail at any moment. I thought I was going to do the new moreryde “solid step” as a replacement until I saw several people on here and on you tube talk about some of its limitations (needed enough space to deploy them and the clearance issues when measuring to install on a retrofit and the consequences if you don’t get those right). Instead we’re going to install the Torklift glow step revolution stairs. They are a lot more expensive then the solid step but not having the space to lower the steps is actually an issue for us since we have to keep it in a storage lot. The other piece, and while somewhat silly and seemingly minor- my in-laws have two of the solid steps on their Alpine 3800FK (one has a gas strut which is nice) but they both have stumbled on those stairs a few times when coming down because the sides are not “open” like on their previous Class A. So when they walk down they normally step off from the side of it- if you do that you have to pay attention and pick your feet up. I know it sounds crazy, but their older dogs and you know how the rest of that goes. Admittadely, I too have tripped due to stepping off the corner like I do on my 316RL rather than coming straight down. Let us know what you do!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
whcarr

The more ryde came on our 2017 fusion 371. They are nice if your on a fairly level site, but when your not they are a pain, worst case we have had a few instances where they could not be deployed at all a real pain! We are looking at other steps, and plan to remove these. Now if it was as easy to remove the command that would be gone too.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
rhagfo

I don't have them, still debating on them.
I see both Positives and negatives.
The Positives;
SOLID!
Easy to deploy
I believe they also have an optional hand rail.

The Negatives (as I see)
Need about 3' clearance to deploy.
Need to be dry and clean before storing as the go inside.
You can't put stuff in the door without deploying.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
rsl

+1 for Glow Steps, put them on last year and will always have them on any future RVs I own.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
mtofell

As a short term (maybe permanent?) solution, try putting a bottle jack or two under the bottom step. I've seen/talked to people who have done this and are super happy with it.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:20 AM   #10
Tbos

My Alpine came with the LCI Solid Steps and we love them. As stated previously you do have to be careful to not trip stepping off the side. That is just a learning curve to avoid that. We are able to put little things like a broom or towel, etc... inside when the steps are in. Deploying them is so easy it hasn’t been an issue. Because we brush them off and if needed wipe them down we have not had an issue with them causing extra dirt,etc... in the rig. The only real negative we have seen is the need to have the door all the way open to deploy them. That again is just a learning curve.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Dirt and mud falling off the steps inside when folded in may (I don't have the steps so no personal experience) be stopped by using a heavy duty plastic boot tray, possibly cutting the edge against the door so it fits "to the sidewall" and any sand, dirt, water would then drip into the tray, once the steps are deployed, take the tray outside, dump the dirt/sand and store it somewhere so it's handy the next time the steps are folded up, into the camper.

Here's a photo of the type of boot trays we have at every entry door to our house, for us, it's snow/water/salty ice that we try to "trap" but they should also work for dirt, sand and mud. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOOT TRAY.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	20340  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
ajk170

John- That's a clever idea- I'm going to play with this to see what I can do for the in-law's Alpine! I think the challenge for them will be wanting to keep it in place all the time rather than in-placing it only when the stairs are stowed. But keeping it in-placed all the time would probably create a "trip hazard" in their 3800FL coach because of the lip of the tray and it would be in the middle of the walk-way when walking past either door.
Interesting idea!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
ChrisM

I looked at the Morryde Step Above and Torklift Glowsteps. I liked the design of the Glowsteps better and I don't regret the extra money spent. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
goodellj

I was very interested in the Lippert and MORyde fold down steps until I realized that my storage situation would not leave enough space to lower them. I preferred the Lippert steps because they have an extra wide top step.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
EagleandFox

We installed the Morryde step last year and don't regret it. We don't travel on long trips, so deploying them in tight spaces hasn't been an issue - they do stick out but it doesn't seem like 3' to me - but maybe it is? Yes, dirt gets inside when you fold them up into the door, but I always sweep before we fold them in and once all set up at a site, I sweep the floor again because no matter what steps, we always seem to track in dirt! We love the stability. Installation was easy - took my hubby maybe 15 mins? On unlevel sites, each side of the step is adjustable independent of the other, so one bottom foot can be raised or lowered as needed. We also travel with a wooden step/box that we have used a couple times when the site was rather low and the steps couldn't quite reach - we just put the legs on the box he made and we are good!

2017 Hideout 299RLDS 5th Wheel
EagleandFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
Tracylea

We just put a brace under ours stopping the shaky feel and adding support for the steps moving parts lots cheaper
Tracylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
Cougar29FKS

I installed the MORryde step a few months ago and it made a huge difference! No more “step dip” when going in and out. I tried two of the Camco step stabilizers on the old steps for a couple of years but they never stayed in place. Once you stepped on the second step, the bottom step with the stabilizers would kick out and move them around. I was constantly moving them back into place! Anyway the MORryde step took care of the problem and was easy to install. Yes it is a bit of a pain to have to lower them when you need quick access but it is well worth it!
Cougar29FKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #18
BadmanRick

We have a Bullet Premiere 19Fbpr it hac the 3 step folding steps. I added two of the Camco adjustable folding step supports to the bottom step. These work great very stable. Help stop trailer movement when getting into trailer.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
rohish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
We have a Bullet Premiere 19Fbpr it hac the 3 step folding steps. I added two of the Camco adjustable folding step supports to the bottom step. These work great very stable. Help stop trailer movement when getting into trailer.
I think this is what Rick is referring to. I just bought one but I have not installed it yet. I was going to try to try one in the middle of the step but I have heard one on each end works well. I like the fact the stow away in your steps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECHII..._V-YBCbBE0ES52
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	904.3 KB
ID:	20421  
rohish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #20
radargil

Steps

We bought steps from a company near Dallas. Their web address is: www.rv-co.com
They also have porches that fold up for travel. We bought the porch and steps.
Check them out.
radargil is offline   Reply With Quote