Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
daveinaz

Leveling blocks vs leveling ramps

Has anyone used the Anderson or Beech Lane leveling ramps? I'm just wondering how they compare to the Lego style blocks for use on a 5er. One thing that sounds good is that to lower or raise your position you'd only have to pull up or back a couple inches instead of getting all the way off the lego blocks, then adding or subtracting a layer.

With the ramps though it sounds like you need someone spotting you unless you have a level you can read from your rearview mirror.

And, after looking at the leveling ramps, I'm wondering how hard it is to get the chock out from under it when you're ready to go.

I'll probably still get some of those rubber pavers from Home Depot like mjeronimo posted about to put under my front jacks and rear stabilizers and probably under whatever I get to put under the wheels.

Thanks.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Wxman

I use the Andersens. I only have a 24ft TT. I always back onto them and yes I have the DW watch the level and tell me when to stop, but it takes no guessing or do overs. When level I go to P and set the brake, then go out and put the chalks in, as well as chalk the other side. I have really liked them myself.
When time to leave, I remove the chalks on the opposite side back up an inch or so and the chalks on the levelers come right out. I then just pull forward until off the levelers.
Again, I have a smaller trailer and it does have the 'spread' axles. I can see where it might cause some difficulties in some situations fi the TT axles were closer together.
Happy Camping
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Logan X

I’ve been using the Andersons for years and I like them. I can eyeball the trailer through the back window and get it pretty close to level on the first try usually. They don’t work well on mud or ice because they slide forward in slick conditions.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A word of caution about using "drive-on ramps", one of the moderators here who is no longer with us was backing up the chocks so his DW could pull the chock. Things went wrong, crushed her thumb and when all was said and done, they had to amputate her thumb at the first joint.

So, a word of warning about using them, please respect that they can quickly "go wrong" if you're not paying very close attention to what you're doing. Kicking snow off the chocks, grabbing them quickly in a rain storm on Sunday afternoon when trying to hurry up and get home could spell disaster if you're not extremely careful.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Wyldfire

I use the Anderson's with level mate pro. We we arrive at our camping location my wife gets out and opens side pod turns levelmate on and retrieves the Anderson's out of pod. I open the levelmate app on my phone and tell her what side Anderson's are needed. She places them and I drive onto them until app shows trailer level. Wife then places the wedges under the ramps. We are typically level and unhooked within 2 minutes of arrival. Lots less stress for both of us.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
I use the Anderson's with level mate pro. We we arrive at our camping location my wife gets out and opens side pod turns levelmate on and retrieves the Anderson's out of pod. I open the levelmate app on my phone and tell her what side Anderson's are needed. She places them and I drive onto them until app shows trailer level. Wife then places the wedges under the ramps. We are typically level and unhooked within 2 minutes of arrival. Lots less stress for both of us.
This certainly sounds like the easiest way to get the trailer set up. That LevelMate is kinda pricey, but if it works as well as it appears to in those videos, I think it'll be worth it to safe the aggravation of having to get in/out of the truck multiple times to level the trailer.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
We also use the LevelMate Pro with the Anderson's. It's a much easier way to setup the trailer. Though there has been a few times where the site was too far off level for the Anderson's to work, so we do keep a set or two of the leveling blocks just in case we need to use them.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Wyldfire

That is another thing I like about the levelmate pro it shows how many inches you are out of level so you know what you need.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
xrated

Okay, I'm in the same camp (see what I did there) as the others that use the Andersons and a LevelMate Pro. As described above, put the trailer about where you want it, place the levelers under whichever side needs to come up, LevelMate Pro on and back up slowly until LM Pro says you are level. Parking brake, transmission in park, chock under the other side of the leveler and BOOM, you're done and time to unhitch and level from front to back. It's so easy that it's almost like cheating on a final exam!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

I thought about getting the Andersons, but went with the lego blocks first as they were cheaper. After a few set ups, I found that I could guesstimate how many blocks I'd need under the low side wheels from looking at the bubble level on the front of my trailer.
I found that the trailer is rarely truly spot on level, but close enough to not be noticeable. I use the door between the bedroom and the hallway as the final arbiter. If it stays where it's put, the trailer is "level". If it swings open or shut, then we need to adjust a little.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #11
Nicculi

I love my Andersen ramps, ditched the legos, and never looked back
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicculi View Post
I love my Andersen ramps, ditched the legos, and never looked back
I use the Anderson levelers too, but I kept the legos for the tongue and stabilizers, much lighter than 2 X lumber.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
Phil Saran

Maybe I'm just cheap (thrifty?), but what I use for leveling my 5th wheel
side to side is a set of two 2" x 8" X 5 foot boards.

I first back or pull into the space, use a level to check side to side and then
place one or both boards down on the side needing the lift and then back
up on the boards.

I use a couple sections of 8" x 8" beam for under each front leg of the 5er.

I also have a set of the Legos, but only use them for the rear stabilizers.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
dsttexas

I use to use the blocks, but the Anderson's are a definite improvement. I don't attempt to get it exactly level side to side, just close enough that the leveling jacks don't have to lift one side's wheels off the ground, or even close to it. I do find the clearance between the wheels is quite tight for getting those levelers placed and removed easily and have the DW help as I move slightly forward or backward as needed.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

We use the Anderson's with level mate pro. I added traction tape (stair tape) to minimize slipping on ice.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
I use to use the blocks, but the Anderson's are a definite improvement. I don't attempt to get it exactly level side to side, just close enough that the leveling jacks don't have to lift one side's wheels off the ground, or even close to it. I do find the clearance between the wheels is quite tight for getting those levelers placed and removed easily and have the DW help as I move slightly forward or backward as needed.
Did you know that it's perfectly OK to cut some of the length of them off, as per Anderson website? Should make it much easier to put in place if it's right between the tires
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Has anyone used the Anderson or Beech Lane leveling ramps? I'm just wondering how they compare to the Lego style blocks for use on a 5er. One thing that sounds good is that to lower or raise your position you'd only have to pull up or back a couple inches instead of getting all the way off the lego blocks, then adding or subtracting a layer.

With the ramps though it sounds like you need someone spotting you unless you have a level you can read from your rearview mirror.

And, after looking at the leveling ramps, I'm wondering how hard it is to get the chock out from under it when you're ready to go.

I'll probably still get some of those rubber pavers from Home Depot like mjeronimo posted about to put under my front jacks and rear stabilizers and probably under whatever I get to put under the wheels.

Thanks.

What ever you use under your tires, there is a right way and a wrong way to support your tires. I have written a number of times on this. With pictures to help people understand that you MUST support the entire tire footprint Length and width. To do less can lead to damage to the tire and possibly future failure.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:41 AM   #18
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I thought about getting the Andersons, but went with the lego blocks first as they were cheaper. After a few set ups, I found that I could guesstimate how many blocks I'd need under the low side wheels from looking at the bubble level on the front of my trailer.
I found that the trailer is rarely truly spot on level, but close enough to not be noticeable. I use the door between the bedroom and the hallway as the final arbiter. If it stays where it's put, the trailer is "level". If it swings open or shut, then we need to adjust a little.
I have legos and haven't used them yet as the few campgrounds we went to were pretty darn level. Anyways that "door" trick is great, makes sense.
Thanks!
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
anthonbloom

I made myself a pair of Anderson style levelling ramps for my 318SAB 5tg wheel and they are so easy to use. I need no help just watch the ball on my level mounted on the hitch, back up slowly and stop just past the level mark to allow for settling into park when the brakes are off. Easy to do, never bother with the wedges, so I still have all my digits...Usually takes just a couple of minutes to get level.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'm with Phil back @ #13. I also did the 2x8's along with a piece of 3/4" x 8" ply. I 45'd the ends so they're ramp like 2 pcs. of 1 1/2 and one 3/4". I'm good for a 3/4" up to a 3-3/4" lift. Works real good if you got room for a little lumber.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling