Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

Cooper TV tires replaced, warranty

I got Coopers AT/3 Lt 285/16s Es on the TV on 01-18. I had removed the front 2 wheels to fix the loose center caps and noticed cracks on both tires. Mileage on them was 3800 miles. Date code 4917 on 3 and 1 at 5117.
Further inspection, I found all 3 with code 4917 where cracked. The cracks were all near the bead within a couple inch's of the wheels. There were hard to see unless you get real close to the tires. All the cracks were 1 to 3 inch's long and hairline type. 1 tire had them on both sides.
I purchased them at a local shop that is a repair shop that also sells tires of just about any you want by ordering them. I got these since the shop R/O said he uses them on his 1 and 3/4 ton trucks and is very happy with them. I have the same tires on a 2002 trail blazer in a different size for maybe 3 years and 20,000 miles without any issues.
Tires went back to the dealer and I got same tires as replacements date code 4518 at no cost to me.
Shop guy said maybe that batch had bad rubber. I have no idea but am willing to try them again.
I started this thread just incase anyone else may have these tires and you might want to take a close look at them and the date code.
Any tire experts have a idea of the cause of this type of problem?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I got Coopers AT/3 Lt 285/16s Es on the TV on 01-18. I had removed the front 2 wheels to fix the loose center caps and noticed cracks on both tires. Mileage on them was 3800 miles. Date code 4917 on 3 and 1 at 5117.
Further inspection, I found all 3 with code 4917 where cracked. The cracks were all near the bead within a couple inch's of the wheels. There were hard to see unless you get real close to the tires. All the cracks were 1 to 3 inch's long and hairline type. 1 tire had them on both sides.
I purchased them at a local shop that is a repair shop that also sells tires of just about any you want by ordering them. I got these since the shop R/O said he uses them on his 1 and 3/4 ton trucks and is very happy with them. I have the same tires on a 2002 trail blazer in a different size for maybe 3 years and 20,000 miles without any issues.
Tires went back to the dealer and I got same tires as replacements date code 4518 at no cost to me.
Shop guy said maybe that batch had bad rubber. I have no idea but am willing to try them again.
I started this thread just incase anyone else may have these tires and you might want to take a close look at them and the date code.
Any tire experts have a idea of the cause of this type of problem?

IMO the "shop guy" should not have said that without a follow-up statement about what he was going to do about it. NHTSA would surely like to know when "bad rubber" is suspected from any tire manufacturer's tires.

In my research, that type and location of such early cracking is often an indicator of overloading/under inflation. But, the tire from another batch was okay which would lead to manufacturer defect (s).

Bottom line; the tires should have been turned over to NHTSA. There could be thousands of them with a defect causing the cracking. Having the same date of manufacturer could pinpoint a whole batch.

Good catch.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Thanks CW, of the 3800 miles around 2000 were towing my RV. I run 55 in the front and 65 in rear. I don't have my loaded weights handy, but that has not been a issue. It would be nice to hear back from Cooper thru the dealer. Unknown if that will happen.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Out of curiosity, googled Cooper A/T tires:

'Consumer Reports' rates Cooper tire No. 1. The Discoverer A/T3 was described as “best overall, with long tread life.” When “Consumer Reports” first started rating all-terrain SUV and pickup tires in 2008, Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.'s entry was listed as the ninth best tire.Oct 31, 2011
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
busterbrown

The newer version of Cooper's Discoverer A/T3 is the XLT variant. I've been following the reviews on these for the past year or so as a replacement set are in order for my RAM come spring 2020. I hope the Coopers are a big improvement over the OEM Firestone Transforce.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The newer version of Cooper's Discoverer A/T3 is the XLT variant. I've been following the reviews on these for the past year or so as a replacement set are in order for my RAM come spring 2020. I hope the Coopers are a big improvement over the OEM Firestone Transforce.

You may want to look at/consider the Michelin Defender. I replaced my Transforce tires with them and have been really impressed.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, warranty