Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Wildhorse

Towing in extreme temperatures?

This weekend the wife and I are scheduled to leave on a long since planned vacation. Our route will take us thru the desert, and Needles for example is forecast to be 122f this weekend.

I've never used our Raptor in temps anywhere near this and have no idea what to expect. I plan to travel with the generator running and both roof a/c's on, but have no idea if they can realistically cool the trailer in such high outside temps.

I had a nagging feeling about the Chinese tires that came on the Raptor and had Goodyear G-614's installed yesterday and they are set at 110 lbs. It was hard to trash tires with no noticeable wear, but the thought of breaking down in this heat wave overcame me. Lots of stories out there of tire failures and they got the better of me.

My truck is a 1 ton SRW GMC Duramax with 18,000 miles and a recent service.

I'd like to drive no more than 6 hours per day and then overnight. This puts us the first afternoon stopping in the 122f temps.

Any advice from anybody experienced in traveling in such extreme temps greatly appreciated. Also, can the roof a/c's that come on these things actually make it so we can live in the thing under these conditions? Will my new tires live? I'm imagining the roads are going to so damned hot that they'll be running around 150f at best. I've thought about driving at night, but I know the trucks a/c will keep us cool in the day. Not sure about the camper being able to do the same if we are parked all day....

Thanks again for any experience that could be shared...
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing