Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
LindsayLALA

24BHS Bullet - water pump

My husband and I bought a 2017 Bullet a couple weeks ago (previously only ever owned campers). The people we bought it from had only used it a few times, and took really great care of anything in the 1.5 years they owned it (bought new).

I went to use the water the other day (previously dewinterized) and the pump would not shut off. Tank is ⅔ full and power is hooked up to our house. The previous owners never used the pump, and only ever hooked up to pressurized water while camping the few times they were out.

I tried opening all the taps (ALL taps) with the pump off, letting water all drain out, then turned the pump back on to and water was flowing. I turned the taps off and the pump continued to run indefinitely (had I let it). I went through this same process twice. Same outcome.

I checked the hot water heater tap, and drained the water out of there as well, in the steps above. I don't know what else to do. It's basically a brand new trailer and nothing appears to be wrong with the pump physically, and it sounds strong.

Any ideas of things I'm missing here? I've combed through a few posts and cannot find anything I didn't already attempt.

Flojet 3526144
LindsayLALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

I'll let others help you trouble shoot the pump itself.

Raise the tongue of the trailer so it is well out of level and see if water comes out of the rear to make sure you don't have a leak in the underbelly. Be sure to return the trailer to level when you are done.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If all the faucets are turned off (check the outside shower) and the water heater is full, if there are no leaks and the city water connection isn't "flowing water out the hose fitting" then there should be no reason for the water pump to continue running. In other words, if you aren't "losing water" then the pump should stop....

There is a pressure switch in the pump head. In theory, when you open a faucet, the pressure drops and the switch in the pump head turns on the pump to supply pressure until you close the faucet. When closed, pressure will build up in the lines and the pressure switch will turn the pump off.

If there is "pressure leakdown" around that pressure switch, the pump will continue to run because the pump can't build pressure. This could be caused by a defective pressure switch, a hole in the pump diaphragm or a piece of trash (construction debris) that was pulled up from the fresh water tank. You can disassemble the pump head, check for damage or debris, reassemble and it may work. Otherwise, you can buy a new pump head for about $30 or a new pump for about $40.

Before you disassemble the pump head or buy a new pump, be sure that there isn't a hidden leak that you're missing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
LindsayLALA

Thank you for the feedback! I posted in a FB group and was able to determine that I was being a nervous nelly and didn't run the pump long enough to prime. I got panicky after 30seconds and would shut it off. After walking my husband through the steps I took, we decided to just let it run and see (we knew water was being pumped so damage wasn't likely to occur) and after about 1 min it turned off. Then we tested it and ran the water for about 10 seconds, and it kicked on again. Tap turned off, then the pump did as well.

Feeling relieved. I didn't realize it would take a while to prime the first time.
LindsayLALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Glad you figured it out and it was something that simple. And thank you for updating us. The thread may help someone else in the future.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayLALA View Post
Thank you for the feedback! I posted in a FB group and was able to determine that I was being a nervous nelly and didn't run the pump long enough to prime. I got panicky after 30seconds and would shut it off. After walking my husband through the steps I took, we decided to just let it run and see (we knew water was being pumped so damage wasn't likely to occur) and after about 1 min it turned off. Then we tested it and ran the water for about 10 seconds, and it kicked on again. Tap turned off, then the pump did as well.

Feeling relieved. I didn't realize it would take a while to prime the first time.
Has to fill the hot water, takes a while.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, water, water pump