Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #21
Tbos

Re: 2015 Passport 238ML Roof Leaking!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgokou View Post
My dealer was the one who sent me the letter. I dont know if they were instructed by keystone.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If you can, please scan that letter in and post a copy. Or at a minimum tell us everything it said. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
So, just to help us understand. What was the last date you inspected the roof and all was great. Followed by did you find the problem after the inside ceiling/wall showed water marks or did you find the delamb and leaks at the seam first.
I have taken very good care of this, as I do all of my vehicles. I would always inspect the roof with a ladder while washing and just look for anything out of place. The last time this was done would have been a month prior to discovering leak. At this point I have further inspected and see no obvious signs of where leak is, only the signs of the leak damage. Inside there are bubbles, as indicated in pics above, and outside I have bubbling on the front fiberglass panel. The only thing I do notice is that the design at the front seam between fiberglass and membrane roof has a really ominous "belly" that I would suspect has been a holding area for water for some time. I noticed this when washing, but without any leaking, figured that this was by design and the manufacturer must know what they are doing, so I left it at that. Honestly, I still do not know if this is the area of the leak. Water is coming in on the inside from this general area.

At this point the dealer contacted me knowing how our conversation was going to go down! I dropped it off on Sunday and covered it with a tarp, so it is pretty obvious of what the issue is! He did not even bother to uncover the camper and inspect it, because he already knew what the problem was. This whole thing is extremely frustrating and I am not excepting blame here. I realize many of you here are quick to blame me for my camper leaking and that is even more frustrating!

I will contact Keystone, but really I am not holding my breath with what I have learned so far. My dealer will charge me $148 per hour and that is equally unacceptable. I just can't accept that something less than 2 years old can have a major manufacturer defect and I should blame myself for their defect!
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
If you can, please scan that letter in and post a copy. Or at a minimum tell us everything it said. Thanks in advance.

X2 Please. After what I found out so far, this is something I am very interested in as well.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #24
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Also advises to inspect the roof at least every 90 days.
This statement really makes me shake my head. Are you seriously telling me that the manufacturers advise to inspect every 90 days? Who does this?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #25
pgokou

pgokou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #26
pgokou

Here is the letter they sent me.

pgokou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #27
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgokou View Post
Here is the letter they sent me.

Thanks. That is really interesting. It sounds like they are looking for something before they decide to do a recall. The 2670 s were introduced in 2016 replacing the 2650. Let us know if they find anything.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Interesting letter. While I am not going to say it's a ploy to drum up work, I might be inclined to call keystone and ask if they are conducting any quality control surveys. We have always offered free roof inspections, and because your letter is on dealer letterhead, all they have to do is use a form letter and substitute VIN and customer name, I would question it.

I do hope it is legit, and Keystone is in fact trying to improve manufacturing techniques, but I am skeptical. Dealers aren't going to do roof inspections for the factory without reimbursement, I will try to verify this when I go to work on Monday.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Ken / Claudia

MacGyuer, With the information you added shows that it likely was a recent event and you had been at least looking at the roof before. I will say without a up close (inch's away with face to roof) you may never find the leak. It does sound like Keystone may know something about your trailer design that could be a problem.
My posting about about what Keystone prints in their manual is just that. If it makes sense or not, if we think is silly, that is still just what they say. I am just repeating their print. Myself, I am on the all my RV roofs inspecting and cleaning at least 2 times a year. Sometimes 3 or 4. On my house roof this week cleaning and inspecting as every fall. Problem is as with any warranty covered items. When we chose not to follow their maintenance or think we know better than them. It makes a warranty claim very hard to prove. That goes towards anything we buy with a warranty.
Your issues may not be a warranty claim. But, I would at least read thru their manual regarding maintenance. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #30
51ferguson

I found a leak in the same area as Macgyver did (at 10 months of ownership) in my 2016 2670BH, I took it to my dealer and dropped it off when I noticed the leak. They told me they would inspect it and contact Keystone for approval of warranty work. I was contacted 2 days after I dropped it off and was told Keystone approved 100% of the repairs. The leak was in the same area as Macgyvers, front passengers side had some bubbling of the ceiling panel and some water damage to some of the cabinetry on the same side. In total the dealership had my camper for about 3-4 weeks and most of that time was waiting on parts from Keystone. My service advisor called me once a week to give me an update, and when I got it back it looked like brand new on the inside. When I ask where it was leaking I was told by the service advisor that they found some screws in the roof that were not screwed all the way in and was pushing up on the sealant causing the leak. I had a very pleasant experience with my servicing dealer and I think they did great work, I think it took Keystone a little to long to get the parts to them but I am still pleased in the warranty service. If any of you are wanting to know the name of my servicing dealership it is General RV in Dover Fl. One of the things I like about them is you don't need an appointment for service work, I did call them and let them know I was coming in and the service advisor said no problem bring it in when ever you are ready. Service advisors name is David Virtue, he is very professional and polite.
I wish you luck Macgyver, I know my camper was still within the 12 warranty period but maybe Keystone with make good for you.

Billy
51ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #31
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ferguson View Post
................When I ask where it was leaking I was told by the service advisor that they found some screws in the roof that were not screwed all the way in and was pushing up on the sealant causing the leak. ...................
I had a similar situation (but the dealer we purchased from is 13 hours away).

A week after we brought our 2015 23RB home (which was 10 days after it was built) I noticed that the joint where the top of the front wall meets the roof and has an aluminum trim piece with dicor, had lifted over nearly half the width of the trailer. The dicor was still intact and there were no obvious cracks or evidence of water intrusion. I cleaned up the dicor and checked the screws. The screws in the area that lifted, had been driven in at an angle and had not caught the rafter beneath the joint. I used longer #12 screws and anchored the trim, front wall and roof down properly before resealing the area.

I wonder how common the problem is and that may be the reason for the letter posted earlier in this thread.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #32
TheRealMacGyver

Had a member inquire about how I solved this issue and thought I should update this for everyone.

Dealer quote was somewhere around $3,000 and somewhat open ended, since they could not forsee what more would be found after getting into it. I refused to spend money on an 18 month old unit.

After doing some research, I went with " Dicor Products 502LSW white self leveling sealant ". It is easy to use and really made the job easy. It took 2 tubes to heavily cover the seam. By the way, I never could locate an obvious spot that could have been my source of the leak, but I knew it had to be on this seam, so I covered the entire seam. No more leaks. Inside damage was minimal fortunately, and I was able to gently clean water stains and get it acceptable. As for the delamination on the cap, I left as is. It looks like crap, but that is my conversation piece to explain what I learned the hard way!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #33
ftrupe

I recently had a mobile tech replace my seals and grease the bearings, and while he was here, I asked him to inspect my roof. The roof and seams looked fine to me, but the front seam where it meets the cap on both ends needed attention. What the tech did was press down on the roof membrane right near the dicor and you could see where it was no longer secure. He cleaned the areas and put new dicor over it and recommended that I redo all the seams and vents. I did find one other area in the rear that was suspect. So I bought the dicor and resealed everything. However, the point is that the roof looked fine, until you pressed on the roof itself, and then you could see the problem. Hope this helps someone else. By the way, the roof did not leak, but surely was on its way.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote