Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
I would never use a cover for any reason. It will do more damage then it does good. You will end up with a ton of moisture in the winter time under the snow. As for clearing off the roof I use a floor broom and be very careful of the vents and skylights. Make sure its a new broom.
X2 on the covers. IF you really have to clear off snow, just be aware that most of those plastic vent covers of all kinds only last a few years - just bumping into one after that will cause them to fall apart. I've already replaced one vent cover with a metal one and am about to do the same with another. Just spent time replacing the tank and attic vent covers a month back. Seems the only ones with UV protection are the cover from FantasticFan and metal.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
tgpilot

For what it's worth, I've noticed in our town here in MT that a company push's a kind of white vulcanization on the boats and RV's here. They put a kind of heavy white plastic on their rigs and suck much of the air out drawing the plastic as tight as possible. Then cut it off in the Spring. Cost is several hundred dollars and the company takes it off and re-uses it the next winter. Noticed my neighbor has his it done. Does this really work, does it help? Anyone ever tried this method?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
texas-traveler

Snow??? Do you mean that cold white stuff! In central Texas, what is snow?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
jonnyaiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpilot View Post
For what it's worth, I've noticed in our town here in MT that a company push's a kind of white vulcanization on the boats and RV's here. They put a kind of heavy white plastic on their rigs and suck much of the air out drawing the plastic as tight as possible. Then cut it off in the Spring. Cost is several hundred dollars and the company takes it off and re-uses it the next winter. Noticed my neighbor has his it done. Does this really work, does it help? Anyone ever tried this method?
Most people do it with their boats around here. Haven't seen it ever done on an RV though. Air tightness would be the difficult part for RV's, I imagine. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post
Most people do it with their boats around here. Haven't seen it ever done on an RV though. Air tightness would be the difficult part for RV's, I imagine. Interesting.

I'd be worried about moisture accumulation inside the rig. I keep my vents open all year to allow the unit to breath. That, and the dollars, would be my biggest concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #16
jonnyaiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I'd be worried about moisture accumulation inside the rig. I keep my vents open all year to allow the unit to breath. That, and the dollars, would be my biggest concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
That's been my practise too.

jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, winter