Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Fourwalls

Cougar High Country 28SGS

We are looking at a 2015 Cougar High Country 28SGS. Can any of you give me your experience with this model? Is there anything I should know before I try to deal on it.
Fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most Cougar XLite fifth wheels average around 21% pin weight, so plan on a pin weight of around 2000 pounds. It's not a "half ton towable trailer".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
Fourwalls

Thank you for your reply. We have a 2500 with extra spring to make it a 3500. The Cougar will be a down size from what we have been pulling. We have a Duramax. So power is no issue. I am looking for information on the quality of this trailer, and things that the owners wish it had. Thank you. Happy camping.
Fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Sulphur1

We have a 299RKS pulled by a Chevy 2500HD, pin weight 1896 lbs. Uprated it to 11400 lbs by installing 3500HD SRW rear springs. It gives a better ride as well.
Our main problem has been the height of the truck compared with our previous 2000 dually. I had to add 3 inch aluminium blocks between spring perch and springs to level & an extra step - 5er is too high.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #5
AlBeatty

Hi Fourwalls,
We got the 28SGS in May and have been using it since. We love it but there are a couple of things to take note. There is no silverware drawer in the kitchen and access to the by-pass valve on the water heater is behind a panel in the pass through basement. I plan to install a "door" in the panel when I winterize this fall so I don't have to take the panel out in the future. Regarding the silverware drawer: Some people on this group suggested putting the silverware in the seat(s) of the dinning room chairs. We prefer the silverware in the kitchen so we got a six-compartment container to sit on the back corner of the counter. We put the container in the Microwave for down-the-road travel. Good luck and let us know what choice you make. Take care & ...
Tight Lines - AB
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
gearhead

We had a SGS for a couple years. Only real issue was securing the 2 swivel chairs in the back. They kept damaging the window curtains. I got some backpack type straps at WalMart and it helped.
I put Maxxis tires on it as soon as I got it home. Also a wet bolt kit right before we sold it.
It's a good trailer. Sometimes wish we still had it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
msubobcats

It looks as if they have dumped the bathroom pass-through door and now have a "fullsized" shower. We have a 16 284RDB and that old corner shower is annoying... The corner shower was in several of their models.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
goducks

Why would anyone buy an RV that doesn't have any drawers in the kitchen? The 28SGS is a great layout but the kitchen is almost unusable. No pantry and very little cabinet storage.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
We have a 299RKS pulled by a Chevy 2500HD, pin weight 1896 lbs. Uprated it to 11400 lbs by installing 3500HD SRW rear springs. It gives a better ride as well.
Our main problem has been the height of the truck compared with our previous 2000 dually. I had to add 3 inch aluminium blocks between spring perch and springs to level & an extra step - 5er is too high.
Cheers
Jon
Just curious Sulphur1 but did you put on an "add a leaf"... Been debating that for general purposes. Does it stiffen the ride a lot?
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Sulphur1

Hi msubobcats
I used 2011 3500HD rear springs and associated bump stops. This is legal here to max of combined axle rating after engineer approval.
I think the ride improved, even unloaded - and our road here are bad!
I also run Firestone air bags on minimum psi that seem to help when the truck is empty.
It is now level with the 3" + blocks (80mm) and the 5er axles are now level. Maybe just me but seems less chucking effect.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar