Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Mhoward324

Water Pump Issues

Looking for some assistance from anyone who has had to deal with Keystone warranties. We just took our brand new Laredo 325RL for its maiden trip and first day into we had problems with the water pump. Apparently the check valve failed and began filling the fresh water tank while on the city connection. Spoke to the dealer we bought it from to troubleshoot and we narrowed it down to that being the problem. All worked fine during the PDI and when testing the systems again at home. However, the dealer we bought it from is in PA and we live in Northern NY, about 8 hours away. We have one local Keystone dealer who said they wouldn't be able to look at it for at least two months! So I took it to another dealer I have bought from in the past for repairs. (Jayco dealer) He said they could do the repairs but it wouldn't be covered under warranty since they are not a Keystone dealer. I'm ok with that (if that is a true statement) and will pay out of pocket. Can I get Keystone to reimburse me for those repairs and if so, how do I go about it. Thank you in advance.
Mhoward324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

RV dealers are not like auto dealers. If you buy any vehicle at any dealership, any other dealership has to honor the warranty. Not so in the RV industry. If you buy from one dealer, and then need warranty service at another dealer, not only can they put you at the "back of the line", they can tell you no. This is across all dealers and all makes. As far as getting Keystone to cover the repair. All you can do is try. Submit your claim and see what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Javi

Personally... this is one of those things I just fix myself.... probably a 30 minute fix, hour at the most..
Old 05-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately this is just another example of buying from a dealer far away. With autos it's no big deal. With RVs it can mean a LOT! Chuckster said how it is and many on the forum will attest to that. To get the most out of a warranty on an RV, if you intend to use it, is to buy from a dealer near enough to take care of the RV.

On the other hand, Javi gave you the solution. When you are facing the situation you are I would just keep my tools and "stuff" handy
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
bobbecky

Sounds like debris in the fresh water tank made it's way to the built-in check valve in the pump. Unfortunately, they don't install a screen ahead of the pump to keep particles from getting into the pump. You might try running the pump for a bit, so as to flush whatever crud is holding the check valve open. You might get lucky.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Bingo 57

Keep the tool box handy! Keystone & Warranties two words that do NOT go together. If it's more than replacing a screw you'll go kicking to your grave trying to get Keystone to "cover" it. This I know from experience with them. Now you may be able to spit into the wind and duck! : -)
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Keep the tool box handy! Keystone & Warranties two words that do NOT go together. If it's more than replacing a screw you'll go kicking to your grave trying to get Keystone to "cover" it. This I know from experience with them. Now you may be able to spit into the wind and duck! : -)
I have to disagree. Keystone has paid for "numerous" repairs on our trailer. Lots of smaller things but; replaced the underbelly because it came loose in the front due to excessive rain causing it to come loose and flood the underbelly; painted the entire front cap with top notch paint and clear coat because it had started to fade; repaired the slides; replaced the LP tank regulator; and many other things that don't come to mind. Much of the time the dealership found the problems for me. I have had issues dealing with them from time to time but in the scheme of things, and compared to other manufacturers, they try to take care of you.....if you have reasonable expectations.

Keystone is as good as they come in the RV industry. The key is the owner and the dealer. If you don't know what you're doing, and how the RV business works, and if your dealership isn't top notch and doesn't have a good rapport with Keystone.....well, you probably will have a tough time. Those things are 100% on the buyer.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have to disagree. Keystone has paid for "numerous" repairs on our trailer. Lots of smaller things but; replaced the underbelly because it came loose in the front due to excessive rain causing it to come loose and flood the underbelly; painted the entire front cap with top notch paint and clear coat because it had started to fade; repaired the slides; replaced the LP tank regulator; and many other things that don't come to mind. Much of the time the dealership found the problems for me. I have had issues dealing with them from time to time but in the scheme of things, and compared to other manufacturers, they try to take care of you.....if you have reasonable expectations.

Keystone is as good as they come in the RV industry. The key is the owner and the dealer. If you don't know what you're doing, and how the RV business works, and if your dealership isn't top notch and doesn't have a good rapport with Keystone.....well, you probably will have a tough time. Those things are 100% on the buyer.

True, the dealer is key. I will say Keystone is a bit stingier than a few, but better than more.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
True, the dealer is key. I will say Keystone is a bit stingier than a few, but better than more.

Chuckster, playing on your experience, who are the best at warranties?

I've owned 4 brands and it seems Keystone is as good as any of the ones I've owned. Not trying to put you on the spot, but, it's really nice for all of us, with your exposure to various brands, to have the input of your experience.

I'm not tied to Keystone as I'm sure others aren't. I've looked at all kinds of things and money isn't an issue for us. We just can't find trailers that have the floorplans, construction and pricing that Keystone does.

If there are better manufacturers, with better products, that you deal with every day, I personally would like to know that....from your perspective.

Again, not putting you on the spot, but you mentioned the disparity so it would be nice to know......since I'm looking at buying another trailer.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
RLM5150

I have had few issues to address under warranty, but I can say I'm impressed with how quickly things have been completed. I took my 298RE to our dealer (2 hours away) the day before our 1 year anniversary for brake issues. (Appointment was made 2 weeks earlier) They found the wiring issues and corrected, and work was done under warranty. I dropped it off at 9:30a.m. and headed home early afternoon. This was only the 2nd time I needed warranty work and both times it was done the same day. I think the dealer has a lot to do with getting warranty work approved. That's why I have no problem driving a couple hours to get to our dealer.

I hope the OP was able to contact Keystone and get a referral to a more local dealer. Even if it's a bit of a drive, I say it's worth it to get in with a good dealer.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #11
Mhoward324

After further diagnosis, it turns out the water pump and water diverter valve is bad (Anderson Kantleak Four Function Fill Station). Both will have to be replaced. Spoke with the dealer I purchased from and they are ordering and express shipping the parts to me. Although they are about 8 hours away, they have been a huge help with assisting in troubleshooting over the phone and Skype. All parts will be covered under warranty.

Can't say much for my local dealers though. One wanted me to wait at least two months for parts and the other who is a Keystone dealer, doesnt do any work on Laredo's. Just really no help at all. And the local business wonder why we dont keep pur money local......
Old 05-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuckster, playing on your experience, who are the best at warranties?

I've owned 4 brands and it seems Keystone is as good as any of the ones I've owned. Not trying to put you on the spot, but, it's really nice for all of us, with your exposure to various brands, to have the input of your experience.

I'm not tied to Keystone as I'm sure others aren't. I've looked at all kinds of things and money isn't an issue for us. We just can't find trailers that have the floorplans, construction and pricing that Keystone does.

If there are better manufacturers, with better products, that you deal with every day, I personally would like to know that....from your perspective.

Again, not putting you on the spot, but you mentioned the disparity so it would be nice to know......since I'm looking at buying another trailer.

Our warranty guy says that Tiffen and Grand Design are the easiest to work with, Forest river not so much. It's all about pictures and stories.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #13
Barbell

Because we could not find a dealer in the Southwest part of the country we could trust or that would give us a reasonable price, we bought our Montana in Indiana; more than 1500 miles away. While we haven't had but a few problems with it, all warranty work was done by two different CW dealers who did not even ask where we bought the rig. Therefore, I don't believe anyone should buy from a local dealer just because he is local. Fine if he is trustworthy and will offer a decent price. When we looked, a Los Angeles area dealer flat-out lied to us and the local (Prescott, AZ) dealer knew less than we did about his product. Found a dealer online in Indiana and could not have been better served.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #14
Frank G

FYI The Lerado has a filter screen on the inlet side of the pump. (if it is the same as mine) It should be serviced annually. Make sure the gasket is properly placed or you will suck air. The Anderson Kantleak valve is easily serviced from the outside. Repair kits and instructions are available online from them.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #15
NorskeBob

Don't want to steal the thread - but I found some good info:

Rebuild video:

Think I will order some spare parts for a re-build - - just in case.

http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page188.html

200RV-RK $26.20
FOUR FUNCTION FILL STATION REPAIR KIT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200RVRK.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	12543  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
NorskeBob

Another question on the Anderson 4-way station - has anyone used it in the winterize mode?

Four Positions, Four Functions
1. City – Pressure feed fixtures from 3/4" hose connection on backflow preventer.
2. Normal – Pump from the on-board tank to the fixtures using on-board pump.
3. Tank – Pressure fill the tank from 3/4" hose connection at backflow preventer. 100 gallons
in 7 minutes.

4. Sanitize/Winterize – Draw in sanitizers and winterizing fluids from a bucket utilizing the
on-board pump.

Is the bucket aligned via a hose to the "normal" city water connection (back flow preventer)?

Reason I ask - I purchased the parts to add a winterizing connection to the suction of the pump.

I did some internet research on this:
You winterize (add antifreeze to the system) and sanitize (add chlorine solutions to the freshwater system) in pretty much the same way. You fill a bucket with the desired solution, hook up a short connecting garden hose to the city water fill inlet, put the other end of the hose in the bucket of solution, turn the valve to the sanitize/winterize position, go in the trailer and turn on the water pump. The pump will pull fluid up from the pail. Once this gets going turn on every water line in the trailer one at a time until pink antifreeze is detected at the tap. Don't forget the ice maker line if you have one.

So it looks like I won't need to add a winterize kit to the pump suction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	12574  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
Frank G

Bob

I think you nailed it on the 4 way valve, I do not have the 2nd valve on my set-up, only a heater bypass valve off to the side. I do not think you can pump "Bucket fluid" to the holding tank to sanitize it. The official directions tell you to remove the outside vent cover and pour bleach solution into the tank.

One other issue would be the washer prep, I am sure the hoses need to be winterized.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoward324 View Post
After further diagnosis, it turns out the water pump and water diverter valve is bad (Anderson Kantleak Four Function Fill Station). Both will have to be replaced. Spoke with the dealer I purchased from and they are ordering and express shipping the parts to me. Although they are about 8 hours away, they have been a huge help with assisting in troubleshooting over the phone and Skype. All parts will be covered under warranty.

Can't say much for my local dealers though. One wanted me to wait at least two months for parts and the other who is a Keystone dealer, doesnt do any work on Laredo's. Just really no help at all. And the local business wonder why we dont keep pur money local......
They wont work on Laredos? Why?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
They wont work on Laredos? Why?
Many dealerships won't work on a brand they don't sell and even more won't work on a trailer they didn't sell. They feel (I suppose) that if you didn't buy it from them, they aren't responsible for keeping it in repair during the warranty. Most RV manufacturers have a specific pay schedule for warranty work that is usually less than the hourly rate dealers charge "paying customers". So, it essentially boils down to the fact that dealers are reluctant to do work (and lose money on the reimbursement) on rigs that they didn't make a profit on at the sale.

Also, most dealerships have a limited service capacity and can't keep up with the service demands that their customers want done. There's very little "idle time" to go looking for more customers, so they simply "take care of those who buy from us and won't put someone else's customer ahead of our own"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Javi

I highly recommend that RV folks find an independent RV service shop in their area and develop a good relationship with them.. They make their living fixing stuff, not SELLING trailers...

With few exceptions only the walls are warranted by Keystone... everything else is manufacturer specific and many of the independents are approved warranty repair centers.

They get you in and out quickly... their livelihood depends on it..
Javi

Tags
water, water pump