Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Randallf

residential samsung fridge

More questions on the samsung 18cf fridge.
Last week camping we lost shore power. I couldn't find anywhere in the owners manual on how to keep the fridge cold.
i have a 1000 watt inverter that i thought would keep the fridge working it didn't so now what do i do.?
Any help here would be apprechated

randy
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The inverter should power the fridge as long as the battery(S) are charged and the inverter is turned on. often times you need to turn the inverter on for it to provide power to the fridge, I don't believe they are automatic. Are you sure it was on and the battery(s) were good? If so then either the inverter has failed or the battery is done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

On your trailer, the 1000 watt inverter is "dedicated to the refrigerator" and isn't intended to provide power for any other system in the trailer. That said, depending on the size of your battery bank, the amount of 12 volt power to operate other systems (lights, furnace, TV, water pump, etc) and amount of use (opening and closing the refrigerator door) will determine how long your battery bank will last.

That said, if you only have a single 12 volt battery, your inverter/battery is designed to provide about 8-12 hours of power for the refrigerator during "normal towing". When camping, that time frame is decreased significantly because the battery power is being used to power other items and the refrigerator door is being opened more frequently. If you have a "dedicated refrigerator battery" to power the inverter, it should last overnight as long as you don't open the refrigerator door frequently. Remember that operating the ice maker is an added drain and will discharge your battery, probably in one or two "ice making cycles". That's because of the internal heater in the ice maker that "melts the ice" partially so it can be pushed out of the tray and into the bin.

While we're talking about the Samsung refrigerator, keep in mind that there's a note in the owner's manual that indicates the refrigerator is designed to operate at room temperatures below 110F. At room temperatures above that, Keystone strongly recommends that the overhead air conditioning system be used to prevent damage to the refrigerator. They say that operating the refrigerator (as an example, when towing through the desert) when the room temperature would be hotter than 110*F could cause refrigerator compressor damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Randallf

Red face samsung fridge

Thanks for the reply. The battery was fully charged, around 13.8 volts.
Guess i need to know where to turn the inverter on, nothing in the user manual.
thanks
randy
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There is an automatic transfer switch on the inverter that will switch between shore power and battery power (when shore power is not available). There is a switch on the inverter (or adjacent to it) to turn the system off. That switch may be "OFF" or you may have a faulty transfer switch and/or a faulty inverter. Keep in mind that as long as the battery is connected to the trailer system, there is a potential that the inverter will have a 120 VAC output and you could be shocked if you happen to touch the wrong thing. So, if you're unsure, consult your dealer, your service center or a knowledgeable technician to "walk you through" the system.

Touching the wrong connector on an inverter could be deadly !!!!! BE CAREFUL !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Randallf

not sure why but there is nothing about the inverter in any of the manuals i have
Can you please tell me where to turn it on or is it automatic? i opened the door and the lights weren't on, so i don't know if it was working or not.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There is probably a power switch on the inverter. If not, then I wouldn't know where it might be, but I'd guess it will be in the same compartment as the inverter or beside the battery bank, probably mounted on the wall (if it's near the battery).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Randallf

thank u, guess i should have mentioned that this is a brain new rv, first time to use it was last weekend. So everything now is a learning lesson.
The dealer didn't tell me about this. i bought it on line from a dealer back east.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Randallf

I will look tomorrow, thanks
Randy
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
I will look tomorrow, thanks
Randy
As previously stated, if you have a transfer switch on that inverter it would be automatic.

Like others the on/off switch I would expect to see on the inverter

Now it could like anything else could have a remote switch to turn it on like a switch in the control panel inside, Should be able to see if it was controlled remotely

Would help if you can give us the mfg and model number of the inverter
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
MattHelm21

Hi Randi,

If yours is the same setup I have with the Samsung fridge and 1000W inverter, there are two switches to be aware of. A red button on the inverter itself will completely disable it but in the battery compartment, mine has a red rotating switch on the ceiling which when the inverter switch is on allows the inverter output during a power outage to be disabled(no 12V draw) but still allow shorepower through to the fridge when it is available or permit full automatic function depending on its position. If you find that there is a power led present on the inverter, and your setup is the same, you may want to locate this second switch if your rig is similar.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #12
Ddubya

If you have not resolved your problem.
I discovered on my new Alpine that the batteries for the frig were not hooked up. The positive wire to the battery was just hanging in the air.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
Randallf

Thanks to all of your response's. I found the inverter was turned off and once i turned it on the fridge work using the inverter
Also, i call keystone and they told me that ice make is plumb but not hooked up.
i read the owners manual and i cannot find anywhere where it explains how to hook it up.
Any ideas? i look on u tube, nothing bout it there.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a drawing on page 42 of the Keystone owner's manual that shows the plumbing from the sink shutoff valve, through the basement, out the side of the chassis rail, under the slide and up into the slide behind the refrigerator. There are two valves that need to be turned on (under the sink and beside the refrigerator) and one valve that needs to be turned off (low point drain, under the trailer) in order to provide water to the ice maker.

Make sure that there is water flowing through that PEX tubing and that the valves are correctly open/closed. That will probably resolve your water supply problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
Randallf

Matt, got this, it now works. Thanks
randy
Old 04-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #16
Randallf

JRTJH, I can't find the valve next to the fridge. My guess it never got hookup.
My next trip will be in a couple of weeks. When the slide is out i will look to see if there
is a water line going to the slide that the fridge is on
You respond is much apprechated.
Thank you
randy

Tags
fridge