Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
jayman

any tips

Hi guys
im so happy to have found a keystone blog. Im going to look at a keystone sprinter 303 bhs tomorrow,just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look out for,besides spongey floor and leaks in ceiling also would i ask the owner to run the water although its been winterized.this is my second tt im purchasing,the first i went in blind with out any knowledge what to look for but it worked out great no issues had a sunline solaris for 5 years issue free just to small witch i have to sell now
thanks in advance jay
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Jayman, Go to this site and download the PDI inspection. It will guide you through the entire RV evaluation from stem to stern.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

In case the link doesn't work, go to our home page, general forums, Keystone questions and it will be the first sticky.

look it over and if you have any questions, ask away.....

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
ocho nueve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Hi guys
im so happy to have found a keystone blog. Im going to look at a keystone sprinter 303 bhs tomorrow,just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look out for,besides spongey floor and leaks in ceiling also would i ask the owner to run the water although its been winterized.this is my second tt im purchasing,the first i went in blind with out any knowledge what to look for but it worked out great no issues had a sunline solaris for 5 years issue free just to small witch i have to sell now
thanks in advance jay
Records, records, records! Good records are indicative of good maintenance! Good luck with your trailer purchase!
ocho nueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
jayman

tips

thanks so much for your help and quick replys,its great when your just going into something with out to much knowledge and to just ask and get quick answers just one quick question he mentioned the seal around the slide out might have to fixed/replaced is that a big/expensive job?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The slideout seals changed design through the years so it's hard to say with any certainty what you will find on that RV. There are both "inner and outer" seals and they can be attached with screws, tape or slide into a track. So, what you'd encounter changing the seals is a "crap shoot" without knowing what you have.

I would caution you though, if there are "seal problems" there is very likely also "WATER PROBLEMS" Check closely to see if water intrusion may have damaged the walls and/or floor both at the bottom parts of the slide and adjacent RV walls, but also check the slide floor carefully to make sure it's not damaged as well....

Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
jayman

Thanks so much will check it out!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
fla-gypsy

Seal problems may be code for water damage. Move cautiously on that, ask a lot of questions (believe only half of what you are told) and do a thorough visual inspection around all slides. Look for tell tale signs of water damage like off colored carpet, water stains on the ceiling (or freshly painted areas of the ceiling), water stains to the legs of furniture, floor trim, wall trim, and damage to wood trim around the slides.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
jayman

Ok on the way back from checking it out.Seller was a great guy, was not pushy or anything.BUT there was definate water damage one side of the slide out.The cieling looks perfect,he had replaced the wood molding on that one side,the wall was a little discolored as was the carpet although was not spongy my questions now are: How bad is it to purchase as is seeing as the price hes asking is extremely good plus all else is immaculate?Is it livable for short stays only in the summer?Can I repair this one daY when I have a few xtra $?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

From what you have described insofar as visible damage caused by a leaking slide, my concern would be damage that you can't see - especially wood rot in the wall(s) and the floor. Do you know the source of the leak? Has that been fixed? How long had it been leaking before it was discovered?

Mold is another issue to think about. If it has been leaking for some time and then partially "fixed" by installing some new molding, you would still have wet/damp materials on the inside of the wall that haven't been removed and replaced or properly dried out.

It may be that the leak was a small one and quickly caught and the damage has been minimal in which case it might fit your needs - a good price, brief usage periods, etc. If the rest of the unit is "immaculate" and you are handy, a later repair might be something to consider. Keep in mind however, repairs caused by leaks can be quite extensive and expensive.

In view of the damage you can see and what may still be unseen, I would tend to walk away from this one. Not an easy decision in light of the other more positive factors you mentioned.