Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #121
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
yet you still are doing it? this is all so damn confusing. I put a email out to my rv dealer letting them know I am now stuck with a truck that cannot pull my 5'er. they had helped me put the hitch on it and load the 10K lb 5er up and watch me drive away and never said one word about not enough truck. The manager called and told me that my f250 is more than enough truck to do the job. I get mixed messages over and over and am ready to pull my hair out! (if I had some)

You are in the situation many get caught in; sales guy said vs what the real life, posted capabilities of a truck are. In that game the sales guy (sales manager) is irrelevant. Can your truck "pull" the weight, sure. Is your truck rated to "carry", "hold", "support" the weight legally...no. There's no need to pull your hair out or any ambiguity.....except from the selling folks. Weights, and the limitations, are posted all over the place. THEY are what dictate what you can/can't tow; not a salesman, or a good friend, or etc. etc. Easy peasy if you want to abide by the rules.

Look at the sticker on your truck; note the gawr (front/rear), gvwr, gcvwr and payload. You need to be under all those numbers....comfortably with your trailer. If you exceed ANY of them, you are overweight....period. It can be confusing if you listen to all the "voices" that may or may not know what they're talking about, or care, but the numbers are there and they don't lie.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #122
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You are in the situation many get caught in; sales guy said vs what the real life, posted capabilities of a truck are. In that game the sales guy (sales manager) is irrelevant. Can your truck "pull" the weight, sure. Is your truck rated to "carry", "hold", "support" the weight legally...no. There's no need to pull your hair out or any ambiguity.....except from the selling folks. Weights, and the limitations, are posted all over the place. THEY are what dictate what you can/can't tow; not a salesman, or a good friend, or etc. etc. Easy peasy if you want to abide by the rules.

Look at the sticker on your truck; note the gawr (front/rear), gvwr, gcvwr and payload. You need to be under all those numbers....comfortably with your trailer. If you exceed ANY of them, you are overweight....period. It can be confusing if you listen to all the "voices" that may or may not know what they're talking about, or care, but the numbers are there and they don't lie.
I would add to that: do not trust any weight value for a specific truck that you get from a brochure, web site, dealer's mouth, etc, as others have mentioned, those numbers are manipulated and cooked to serve specific agendas. The only way to know what a given truck really weighs is to put it on a scale (CAT scale, local gravel pit, etc.) and actually weigh it. After you do that, you can subtract that number from the GVWR on the yellow sticker and you will know your real payload/pin-weight capacity (be sure to allow for passengers, full tank, hitch weight, dog, etc.). Same thing with GCWR, subtract the truck's actual weight and you will know your max trailer weight, although it seems like GVWR/pin weight is usually the limiting factor, before you even get close to theoretical max trailer weight based on GCWR.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #123
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
The shipping weight of the 325RL was 11000 lbs loaded it is about 12600 lbs with a pin weight of about 2600 lbs. I am over my GVWR by about 1600 lbs.
If I had a 1 ton SRW I would be pushing the overload limit. I am really in DRW territory. Yet, by The Ram towing specifications for my truck I can pull a 16,800 lb trailer.
Look in the notes on the RAM page - It used a 15% pin weight to set towing capacities so the answer yes you can tow 16,800 lbs with a 15% pin weight with a stand pickup truck with zero options and one 150 lbs driver. Note: Towing capacity does not account for the weight of the hitch.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar