Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #1
hikers44

Vinyl floor damaged by dealer

We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar we bought about 3 months ago. It has been at an authorized warranty dealer (not the dealer we purchased from) for some warranty repairs. One of the repairs we requested was that the dining room table was not secured to the floor at the factory (there were screw holes but no screws) and would move during transit. My husband picked it up yesterday and walked inside to see if they had fixed a broken light fixture and all was fine.

The service tech brought the slides in and got it ready for him to hook up and take home. When he got it home, he opened the slides and went inside to turn on the AC in preparation for a trip. The flooring in front of the dining table is torn badly in two places. We looked underneath and they put long screws through the floor, piercing the underbelly and when the slide went in, it tore the floor.

I have to call them this morning about this, but wondered what to expect?

I read online that since the vinyl is under everything (including an island) the solution would be to put down new vinyl and put 1/4 round around the sides. This is NOT the look we want for a 3 month old camper.

Has anyone had any issues like this with a dealer and what was the outcome?

I've attached pics of the underside and flooring. The pic of the underside is hard to tell, but there are 4 screws like this sticking through.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_182809.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	12939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_192008.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	12940  
hikers44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
NorskeBob

I had a similar problem on a motor home once. The brought in a local carper/flooring tech to perform the repairs. They did a nice job. The hard thing will be getting the matching flooring from the factory. They may be able to obtain some flooring locally that will match the color.

I had the same problem with the table on our last RV. I was thinking of putting some type of screw/bolt from the bottom but I was afraid of the results you had. A countersunk screw/bolt probably would have prevented it.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most floor covering sales stores have a service department that can "work miracles" when it comes to repairing torn vinyl flooring. There is a significant amount of vinyl under sections of the carpet in your trailer, under the drawer units in the island, etc so that a matching section can easily be located and "harvested" to repair your torn vinyl. Contact the dealership that did the work and have them locate a vinyl repair facility near you. They should coordinate the repair, set up the appointment and pay for the damages.

Don't "fret", all is not lost and you're not faced with "new flooring that doesn't match"......

Many reports on this and other forums can be found that indicate the repair can't be seen, even with careful inspection by people who know where it's located.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
hikers44

Thank you!

I have contacted the dealer and they were very nice and told us to do what we can to minimize further damage and they would look at it when we return from a weekend trip. They said they would make it right either by repairing or replacing the flooring and replacing the damaged underbelly.

Thanks for your replies!
hikers44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

We have done a couple of complete floor replacements with opposing slides. It's not that difficult, just labor intensive. You may only have 1/4 round at the front or back if you have cabinets that can't come out.

I've done a few patches, those too are not that hard with the right tools and time.
Glad to hear the dealer will make it right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikers44 View Post
I have contacted the dealer and they were very nice and told us to do what we can to minimize further damage and they would look at it when we return from a weekend trip. They said they would make it right either by repairing or replacing the flooring and replacing the damaged underbelly.

Thanks for your replies!
Good to hear!

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
theallde

Question is:

How could the factory "not" know that the table wasn't screwed in - so much for final inspection plus delivery inspection by the dealer.

People need to slow down and do the assigned job correctly.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
gearhead

Paid by the piece not hourly what I hear.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
dcg9381

Employee review (Keystone): "Piece Rate shop, once you're done with your units you get to go home. Most weeks we only have 35-37 hrs."

That's one way to fix labor costs and hit production goals. I wonder what it does for quality? :-)

Honestly, if it was my business and I was largely dealing with semi-seasonal "unskilled" labor, I might run it the same way. Most "repairs" are pushed off on the dealer and reimbursed at a non-retail rate. I assume Keystone has some way to quantify repair costs versus hitting production goals? Then again, this might be a modern concept that involves data analysis....

What's harder to quantify is how big an impact "brand reputation" has on sales. New and re-sale... So perhaps it's harder to invest in quality.

It was interesting to see ex-Keystone execs spin off Grand Design and do pretty much the polar opposite in terms of customer service and consumer experience from how Keystone (and other brands) handle it. Those choices made the Grand Design brand, which again, got bought by Winnie, so those guys have it figured out... Grand Design sold at higher price and certainly lower volume than Keystone.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, floor