Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
mazboy

Angry Always check lug nuts

Just a reminder to all to check your lug nuts when you are going to go down the road.

Last week we lost both wheel on the rear axle of our 40 foot 5th wheel. it appears that one wheel came loose and the other side was ripped off because of the stress of losing the other wheel.

Thank goodness that someone informed us quickly. the interesting thing is that we did not know any of this happened. We figure it will cost the insurance company about $5K.

And yes, it was my fault for getting lazy and not checking them.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
ken56

Wow, glad no one was hurt. Did you find the wheels? Thanks for posting this because I am pretty sure a lot of other folks neglect to check them also. We tend to get complacent when everything is always non eventful.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
jsmith948

Sorry for your troubles...glad that no one was hurt. We can fix our "stuff" albeit with additional expense.
You might consider having the suspension checked on the front axle as it was certainly overloaded. I would replace the tires as well.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Don_T

This may be another good reason for a TPMS for the trailer tires. I imagine you would know fairly quick if a tire were to disappear.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Sorry for your troubles...glad that no one was hurt. We can fix our "stuff" albeit with additional expense.
You might consider having the suspension checked on the front axle as it was certainly overloaded. I would replace the tires as well.
Good advice regarding the tires. Personally I keep a cheap HF 1/2" drive torque wrench and socket in the back of the TV. Check lug nuts before first trip, stop at 50 miles then at 150 miles a check again. Before hitching up again recheck. An extra 5 minutes to my hitching up could save a life and a lot of money. Before hitching I check the nut on the ball as well.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Something else I'll throw out on the subject of tightening lug nuts daily;

When I first got this trailer I pulled with a new 1/2 ton truck. P rated tires and 20" wheels. I tightened lug nuts on truck/trailer every day. Oddly, the truck tires would always need a 1/4 - 1/2 turn daily to torque back up. Don't know what would happen if you didn't check them. Never any trouble with the trailer tires. Moved to a 3/4 HD truck with 8 lugs and they never get loose at all.

Just throwing that out since we have many pulling pretty big trailers with 1/2 tons on OEM wheels/tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
NorskeBob

Always check the torque on the lug nuts after the first 100 miles of driving and checked them again a couple of times during the summer.

Lost a wheel on last RV - 34' fifth wheel. Rear axle drivers side. The outer bearing failed which caused the loss of the wheel. Did not feel it go - a driver warned us. The wheel was about 1 mile back on the thruway. Lucky for us there was RV dealer within 8 miles. Minor damage to the skirt on the RV.

I had serviced the bearings that spring. The RV dealer found another bearing that needed to be replaced too. Same side of thee trailer.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
yolo2rv

if you've been parked somewhere for awhile, take a few minutes and check your tire pressures as well.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote