Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Phone charger is always in the car. I’m thinking she won’t need them but she insists. No she has not ever chained up, but I figure it would be like out here, with people that put them on for a small fee.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #12
madmaxmutt

I would be more inclined to have an excellent set of tires, preferably winter tires (nonstudded) for an interstate trip. If winter tires are not in the carda, make sure she has full tread depth all season tires with siping.

Safe travels!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Tires have less than 7,000 miles on them. Getting rotated and balanced today. Thanks, she will have her sister and brother with her so it won’t be a lonely drive, just long. I would have liked more prep time but it wasn’t possible. Just did a tune up and oil change so she should be good to go. We have Allstate motor club, just in case.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #14
Canonman

If I remember right the Mariner is an Explorer rebranded. 4WD and good tires will be more than adequate. Carry the chains for a real emergency but not likely they will be needed. I'd also add a tow strap. Again, just for emergency use. Extra blankets and some snack foods in case they get into any road closures and need to sit tight a few hours.
Best of luck to D and company!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	15377  
"I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue
stand for freedom, until they're flashing behind you."
Canonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The Mariner is the Mercury version of the Escape. Mountaineer is the Explorer model. We have a Escape 4x4 (all wheel drive not true 4 wheel drive) and have never had any problems getting anywhere we needed to go, even in 1-2' of snow. We've never chained up and don't think I'd want to be in that vehicle with chains on it. It sits relatively low to the ground, so the problem wouldn't be traction, it would be "high centered on a snow bank".... Chains probably would only get her "deeper into troubled territory" rather than getting her through the problem area.

Like so many others have said, blankets, snack foods, cell phone and charger (hope for coverage) and listen to the radio. If the weather gets bad enough for chains, it's probably best to find a warm room for the night, especially for someone who isn't familiar with icy roads, chains and mountain passes......

Chances are there won't be a problem, but not much is worth pushing on when conditions indicate not to.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #16
sourdough

I have to agree with the others. If she insists on chains go ahead and put them in but as has been said, with that vehicle in this situation, especially if it interstate driving, they would probably more of a hindrance than a help. Along with the items to carry that were mentioned be sure an take plenty of drinking water (I don't recall seeing that).

My daughter had a AWD Escape and it sat pretty low and a couple of thoughts come to mind; if it is snowing much and there is accumulation go ahead and stop somewhere to wait until the highways are cleared. If she has to drive in snow that is somewhat deep beware of a couple of things, albeit rare, that I've encountered; 1) you CAN high center your vehicle on built up ice if you keep pushing in snow that is as high as your undercarriage, 2) I'm sure this is rare, but I had my throttle stick about 3/4 open (AWD lower sitting vehicle) on a trip; had to brake it down and put in neutral to stop; opened the hood and the entire engine compartment was filled with ice to the hood. This was caused by snow accumulation on the highway that was not plowed and the center was about as high as the underside of the car. The ruts were clear so I was driving about 45. The snow in the middle just kept getting pushed into the engine compartment and froze/filled the entire thing solid....unusual. Had to wait 2 hours for a shop to send a truck with 2 5 gal. buckets of somewhat warm water/?? mix to clear off the vitals then I got home.

We wish her a safe trip and be sure to ALWAYS watch the other guy - all around and far ahead. I've seen many, many accidents in snow/ice that seem incomprehensible if the driver had been using an ounce of sense.....but they don't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
travelin texans

In my case if the DW were to need the chains & have to put them on in the cold lying in the snow along the highway, I would be the next thing she would be using the chains on.
I don't want to use chains, but have more than I hope to ever again. And have had them beat crap out of more than 1 vehicle when they break or come loose.
They now have cables that are much easier to install, much less likely to beat up your vehicle, lighter weight & work just as well.
I agree with the rest, NO chains, NO cables, if it's that bad stop & wait it out.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #18
Freeheel4life

Chuckster,
IF she really wants a set for peace of mind, Les Schwab does a "chain rental ". Basically they give you a new set and tensioners. If you don't use them you return them. If you open then and use them, you've bought em. Believe you have to have an acct with them as well. Figured since you are out west there's a chance you use them.