Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #61
bartbill

Re: crowded colorado

Spent two weeks in the Crawford State Park area in August and September. I'm a West Slope kind of guy.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #62
OregonRver

Re: crowded colorado

Durango has a nice RV park but it falls into the 'crowded Colorado' arena. Early to midweek works best, and long lead time reservations are a must. Russ

http://www.durangoriversideresort.com/

https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14240&dateline=147960  4771
OregonRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #63
BOWWOW

Well I started this thread in October. It's June now.
Does anyone have any crowded Colorado camping experiences to share yet as we move into full blown camping season ?

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #64
dodgefather21

Being from Wyoming and having a son on a travel league for baseball . I have even noticed the difference . Boulder Colo in my opinion had most homeless . It was like every street corner you seen someone with a sign . I personally do not care for Denver all the traffic gives me anxiety and I want to v line straight home the minute I get there . I was born in Wyoming raised in Boise and Ft Collins and glad to be back home in Cheyenne with a small population .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dodgefather21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #65
scottz

From where I'm sitting, there is no doubt the legalization of pot forced on us by the metro areas is causing problems. My insurance rates have gone up substantially. Our small town has one grocery store, one gas station and three pot stores.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/17...ss-magnet.html
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #66
koko

Won't comment about Denver - our son and his lovely family live there and love it. We're from Wyoming, so anywhere seems busy and dangerous to us. So far since late April we've camped in Colorado Springs, Cortez, Gunnison and Silt. All were very nice, easy to get a reservation (of course we weren't quite in-season yet), and those reservations were made on the day of travel. All campgrounds were safe and secure. Colorado is a beautiful state; and on a whole, Denver has good weather year-round, and that's one of the reasons people want to be there.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #67
captcolour

Spent 3 nights last week at the Garden of the Gods RV park. SWAT team stand-off 1/2 mile down the road with about two dozen shots fired. Gate to Midland Trial permanently locked due to keep out homeless and others.

Up here in Estes Park for 4 nights. Much nicer environment. Campgrounds busy but not packed.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #68
gkainz

I'm doing a lot of trips to Custer, SD to care for sick family, and my blood pressure begins to drop significantly about Cheyenne northbound, stays nice and low the whole weekend, and then begins to rise around Cheyenne southbound again...

I hate crowds.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #69
B-O-B'03

We spent 5 nights in the Junction Creek FS camp ground, before the memorial day holiday, May 15 -19 and other than the cold, it was awesome.

The campground was, mostly, empty and offered electrical service, potable water close by and pit toilets.

It is about 4 miles from Durango and we went into town a few times and did not notice the bums and no one asked us for anything.

I would definitely go back, but probably not in May.

After that we spent 3 nights in my BIL's driveway in Monument and then headed back to the Dallas area.

-Brian
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #70
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
We spent 5 nights in the Junction Creek FS camp ground, before the memorial day holiday, May 15 -19 and other than the cold, it was awesome.

The campground was, mostly, empty and offered electrical service, potable water close by and pit toilets.

It is about 4 miles from Durango and we went into town a few times and did not notice the bums and no one asked us for anything.

I would definitely go back, but probably not in May.

After that we spent 3 nights in my BIL's driveway in Monument and then headed back to the Dallas area.

-Brian
I'm glad you didn't run into them; they're still there. Just talked to a lady yesterday commenting how glad she was that the Walmart here in Pagosa finally opened and she didn't have to go there and deal with it. We were talking about downtown at the time. Unfortunately I came across 2 here in Pagosa this morning after breakfast at a local restaurant
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #71
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Won't comment about Denver - our son and his lovely family live there and love it. We're from Wyoming, so anywhere seems busy and dangerous to us. So far since late April we've camped in Colorado Springs, Cortez, Gunnison and Silt. All were very nice, easy to get a reservation (of course we weren't quite in-season yet), and those reservations were made on the day of travel. All campgrounds were safe and secure. Colorado is a beautiful state; and on a whole, Denver has good weather year-round, and that's one of the reasons people want to be there.
Mid May is a great time to do a road trip down around Cortez.
We really like to go dry camping just northeast of Mancos out past the Transfer forest campground. There are so many good places down that way that are still kind of undiscovered by the masses of the Denver metro.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #72
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm glad you didn't run into them; they're still there. Just talked to a lady yesterday commenting how glad she was that the Walmart here in Pagosa finally opened and she didn't have to go there and deal with it. We were talking about downtown at the time. Unfortunately I came across 2 here in Pagosa this morning after breakfast at a local restaurant
A WalMart in Pagosa?? Is the Hub burger joint still there? Man I'm overdue for Pagosa. Been 25 years.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
A WalMart in Pagosa?? Is the Hub burger joint still there? Man I'm overdue for Pagosa. Been 25 years.

Ha! The Walmart was quite a deal in the making.....10 years or so. Lots of hot feelings on both sides but it's finally here; and welcome by every person I've talked to (locals).

Where was the Hub burger place? I've not seen it but that doesn't mean much. I'm up and down 160 and into town every day but not off on the side roads a lot (side roads in town; I'm all over the mountains).

If you haven't been here in 25 years you owe it to yourself to get back here soon. I try not to advertise the place to anyone because to us it is such a jewel and if it becomes like Durango we won't come back. The up side is that the city fathers, and the citizens, don't want to be like Durango and resist most anything that would push the town that way....thankfully - BUT it is changing slowly.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #74
gearhead

I'm thinking the Hub was in the curve on Main St., about where that River Pointe coffeehouse is. Good burgers. We tried to get there at least once when we were hunting in the 1980's.
I've just got to committ myself to get back up there and stay at Sportmens. Or make it a "me" trip in the cab over and dry camp on Williams Creek Reservoir. Maybe during hunting season and call it a scouting trip. Yeah, I'm working on this......
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #75
notanlines

Yep, all the owners and employees of the local hardware stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, tire and brake shops, gas stations, bakeries and butcher shops will be plumb tickled that the money mongers known at Wally World have come to town. The place adds so much to the local community.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #76
sourdough
Site Team

I don't think the Hub is there any more. I'm right in there a lot and I've not seen it. But, there are lots of new places from that long ago....heck, there are new places from last year. Keep working on those plans.....
Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #77
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yep, all the owners and employees of the local hardware stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, tire and brake shops, gas stations, bakeries and butcher shops will be plumb tickled that the money mongers known at Wally World have come to town. The place adds so much to the local community.
It's a like-hate thing with me and WalMart. When they came to our little town of 8,500 the small Mom & Pop shops screamed about them. I don't blame them at all. My neighbors across the street owned a convenience/sporting goods store. I don't think he has ever stepped foot in Walmart. They hung on to it for 15 years but sold it last year and the wife went to teaching school. Now you have shop on the internet for those little local items that Walmart doesn't stock. But their prices are low and they pay taxes.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #78
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Never understood the mentality of: "let's pay higher prices to save someone else's business."

If people willfully wanted to pay higher prices and save those businesses, they could refuse to shop at Walmart.

Clearly there aren't many folks that would rather spend more of their money just to save someone's business and that does not benefit them in any way.

"Adding to the community " is also another term that gets thrown around... yet is really just something the business owners like to use as a scare tactic. Other than providing goods and services, what do they provide? So their high prices are taxes for the "community work" they do?

Walmart employs a lot of people. That benefits the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #79
66joej

I once lived in a small town in Alberta. Asked the owner of the local hardware store why his price for a particular item was so much higher than the Home Depot 20 minutes away. His response was "well you'll spend that much more on gas to get the stuff so it works out to the same price". Logical? I don't think so. He has since closed the store.
Also I think ol' Sam Walton became the world's largest retailer by charging lower prices for like products.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #80
gearhead

I'm not sure if the neighbor closed his shop because of WalMart or they just got tired of it. It was a prime location and I imagine they got a sweet deal when they sold it to a liquor store chain. We still have the womens shops and what I call fu-fu shops in town. I think Walmart is putting heavy pressure on the local Brookshire Bros. grocery store. HEB already closed.
I admit we shop WalMart a lot. But we try to shop small business as well, especially the hardware/lumber store.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS