Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
forest376

Great Recipes?

Anybody got any great RV recipes to share? Or at least, their favorite meal while camping? Our trips are done on the weekends, so we mostly grill steaks and make mash potatoes.....nothing fancy, just keeping it simple. Pre-made hamburger soup would be nice if the temps are cooler.
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
2011 keystone

hamburgar soup sound good what is it.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
geo

Basically, take hamburger meat, brown it in the soup pot, and chop it up with the spatial as a first step. Drain the cooked out grease using a collander, but leave what doesn't gravity drain from the pot and meat, adds some flavor. Add chicken broth and the rest of what you want for soup fixings. We use canned sliced new potatoes - all ready cooked and sliced and the juice adds flavor. Frozen soup mix vegetables makes it easy and quick also. Cook it a while until all is done and hot. It is really an easy-made soup. Add salt and/or herbs to your own taste.

You can also substitute ground turkey for the hamburger. We use the 85% fat free as the 95% seems to have no flavor in the soup.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Receipe for weight reduction

Yep, that's the ticket.....use tasteless meat...like my grandpa used to say...make sure it's cooked well, stir frequently. simmer. When done and ready to serve, just open the screen door and THROW IT TO THE BIRDS!!

Ever notice how FAT those "starlings" are?? Good campfire stew!!

OK, only kidding.....heck, gotta have some fun here....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

or, how about, cook it up real well done, serve on a paper plate, dump plate out for dog to eat and eat the plate. JK. JK.

really i tackle breakfast in our group, (mainly cause i am the only one up in enough time to have it done in time for breakfast, IE before 11 am). a favorite with my group is mushy, not sure if thats what its called, but it usually ends up looking like it. i start by making homefries, a lot or them, i keep them a little soft, mix in some onions while cooking. i then make some scrambled eggs and mix in some real fine choped green peppers and a little bit of cheese. i mix them all up in a large container and cover with foil and let it sit while i make up some pankakes or waffles or french toast,(what ever i feel like that morning). i then usually have to reheat the "mushy mix" and serve as is. i have found, that for whatever reason, it tends to just taste better when it sits and reheats after a little bit, not sure why, but it does. not sure if i am copying it from somewhere, but i came across it one morning a little bit ago when all the containers were dirty, (i am a guy, i don't wash dishes) and had only one left, so thats where everything went. everyone seems to enjoy it.

my wife nails dinner usually, and she makes a real mean lasagna(sp?), i am not sure why, buy it always taste's better in the RV then at home. i guess the propane is her secret. i am almost sure she just makes it out of the box and leaves the funny cheese out. that stuff kinda looks funny to me.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
mustang94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
just open the screen door and THROW IT TO THE BIRDS!!
I just laughed so hard.... thanks I needed that....

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I've found that a crock-pot works well while camping. Throw whatever in it in the morning ... spend the day site seeing or at the beach and when you get back you have a tasty meal all ready. I also use crock-pot liners so there is no clean up. Our neighbors usually end up hating us because they smell it cooking all day. I like the meals from the crock-pot, my DW prefers them from Applebee's, Chili's or anyplace else with a good "Happy Hour". Why wait till 5 ... it's 4 o'clock somewhere and two for one.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Txoutback

I have to have my campfire Frito pie when they allow campfires but with the drought it has been a while. I have a campfire skillet that I saute the onions and roast the frito's on. Cook on the camp fire whatever chili you like, lightly roasted frito's in the bowl, cover with the chili, throw on the sauted onion's, cheese and enjoy. Winter time best for me
Or instant oatmeal

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
forest376

Geo got it right on the hamburger soup! The bisquick pancake mix in the bottle is just too easy for making flapjacks, just add water, shake & pour. Also Hungry Jack makes it easy to make hash browns - add hot water to the carton, wait a few mins, pour out on the griddle - just way too easy.

Last year I went camping by myself in a popup. After doing a 25 mile bike ride (cycling), I celebrated by cooking grilled sausage and pork & beans. Normally I would not cook something like this being in a confined area with others - you know how the DW fusses when us men just can't hold back the gas! It's not like those darn RV bedrooms are big enough and heck you ain't going outside to "let one fly". Anyhow, I thought it was a great opportunity to cook and eat what I wanted......

Went camping with another couple two weekends ago, the Cougar 26SAB has some pretty thin walls - the other couple was sleeping on the pull out couch. In the middle of the night, i waited until the heater came on to make any disturbing noise. Not sure if the DW was laughing or fussing....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

YUM!!! DRUNKIN CHICKEN IS MY FAV! CHICKEN BREAST, LIGHTLY BREADED (EGG, PANKO OR BREAD CRUMBS) SEASON TO TASTE SALT PEPPER GARLIC THEN JUST LIGHTLY BROWN THE CHICKEN IN OLIVE OIL THEN PUT IT IN A POT WITH MUSHROOMS AND YOUR FAVORITE WINE. ENOUGH TO COVER THE CHICKEN PLUS AN INCH SIMMER ALL DAY. THEN HAVE FUN. IT'S BETTER ON DAY 2 IF THERE IS ANY LEFT.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
geo

Thumbs up World Market Cooking Accessories

I don't know how many of our forum members shop at World Market. Here in North Texas, World Market has a fantastic selection of wine and beer, and not necessarily from "big name" brewers and wineries! And some great prices also!

But, that is not what this is post is meant to be about. (Sorry, easily distracted by above subject matter. ) World Market has some great microwave and cooking accessories that RVers would certainly appreciate! Well, maybe most RVers? We bought a microwave vegetable steamer and a microwave rice cooker for about US$5 each - and they both work GREAT! We also bought a "Pancake Pen" for our son-in-law who is a wonderful chef! Basically, you put pancake batter in this plastic container that has a protruding spout, and use that to make unusual shaped pancakes - shamrocks, exclamation points, flowers, etc. It actually is great fun! They also have some interesting pancake mixes - gingerbread, oat, etc.

And, if you haven't discovered the "Ny'ackers Ginger Snaps" (think I spelled that correctly) yet, you are in for a great surprise!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Handysam

Txoutback, that is my favorite solo meal. If I get down to the campground early and by myself, I like to take a can of hormel chili, dump it over a bowl of fritos, add some onion and shredded cheese and I'm good to go. I wonder how many here know of "Goetta" as in a breakfast food. Now that stuff is very popular here in Cincy, and mighty good with eggs and bacon.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Txoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
I wonder how many here know of "Goetta" as in a breakfast food.
My grandmother & mom used to make this and we called it 'grandma sausage'. I didn't know it had a real name

Roasting the fritos and onions on the campfire gives it that smokey flavor that you just can't get at home.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
forest376

How do ya'll stand that chili in those small bedrooms?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Ron

Ya answer that one, come on let's here it?
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Handysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Ya answer that one, come on let's here it?
Well as I said, It's when I get there early and "solo"
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest376 View Post
How do ya'll stand that chili in those small bedrooms?
My only company is Rascal (see signature), I keep the vent in the bedroom, (highest point with outside access), cracked open. Rascal moves down hill to the livingroom couch.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
forest376

He is one smart collie!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Alfonso8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Basically, take hamburger meat, brown it in the soup pot, and chop it up with the spatial as a first step. Drain the cooked out grease using a collander, but leave what doesn't gravity drain from the pot and meat, adds some flavor. Add chicken broth and the rest of what you want for soup fixings. We use canned sliced new potatoes - all ready cooked and sliced and the juice adds flavor. Frozen soup mix vegetables makes it easy and quick also. Cook it a while until all is done and hot. It is really an easy-made soup. Add salt and/or herbs to your own taste.

You can also substitute ground turkey for the hamburger. We use the 85% fat free as the 95% seems to have no flavor in the soup.

Ron
Looking sounds good....i sure will must be try this at home...i also found one this type of nice recipe from a magazine.I sure will must be next time post here.....Thanks for sharing this....
Alfonso8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
gerry.witt

Yes, crock-pots are a great way to preserve flavor and eat healthy.
gerry.witt is offline   Reply With Quote