Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Handysam

Fuel prices!!!

Just wondering if gas/diesel prices are affecting anyone's camping, or travel plans. Seems to continue to go up, and history says prices go up even more during the summer months.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
THedges

Yep, diesel prices are killing me. Sad to say, but it will not affect us going out. Taking out the TT on the weekends is what gets me through the week, so I guess I'll be taking what ever abuse the gas companies dole out.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
jq1031

WOW, here in Southwest Florida $4.05 for diesel, & it's going to get worse. To be more specific SAM, the fuel prices has GREATLY effected our summer travel plans. Originally we had a trip planned that was taking us through Las Vegas, on to Portland, OR. across the US to Western NY State, visiting our children in all locations. We'll that's all off........Instead, our kids are coming east & we'll visit in Buffalo, NY & Cap Cod, Mass. during July & August.
I'm sure the diesel costs will still be like a couple house payments.....JOE
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
WOW, here in Southwest Florida $4.05 for diesel, & it's going to get worse. To be more specific SAM, the fuel prices has GREATLY effected our summer travel plans. Originally we had a trip planned that was taking us through Las Vegas, on to Portland, OR. across the US to Western NY State, visiting our children in all locations. We'll that's all off........Instead, our kids are coming east & we'll visit in Buffalo, NY & Cap Cod, Mass. during July & August.
I'm sure the diesel costs will still be like a couple house payments.....JOE
Joe, We just filled up in Nikomis, Hess was $4.05. We have another week before we head north and I know fuel prices will be climbing as we go. That is not the only thing that makes me want to stay ...... the weather this month has been perfect .... only ran the A/C three nights and that was mainly because of sun burn. We sure do love your neck of the woods, Hank ..FYI, Seffner Flying J was $4.19 last week.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Joe, We just filled up in Nikomis, Hess was $4.05. We have another week before we head north and I know fuel prices will be climbing as we go. That is not the only thing that makes me want to stay ...... the weather this month has been perfect .... only ran the A/C three nights and that was mainly because of sun burn. We sure do love your neck of the woods, Hank ..FYI, Seffner Flying J was $4.19 last week.
Where are you staying while here, just curious.......Sarasota Sunny South near Siesta Key? (GREAT PLACE BTW). Also, make sure you stop for dinner & a drink 2-4-1 at OPHILIA'S, just another block past that Hess Station at Lorral Rd....in the plaza to the right. VG food & equally good prices. While your there, get a haircut from my buddy John Farina(N Jersey) who has the barber shop next door, tell him Joe (with the Glock pistol) (don't be alarmed everybody carries down here) sent you!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Where are you staying while here, just curious.......Sarasota Sunny South near Siesta Key? (GREAT PLACE BTW)
Sun-N-Fun in Sarasota. Been coming here for about 16 yrs. and can't wait to retire and winter here. I think I was born to be a "Snow Bird". BUT!!! Have to work a few more years.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We had planned a 2 month trip through Ohio (kids) and on to North Carolina (kids) then back up through New York, across to Canada and back here through the UP of Michigan. Not sure if we'll do it with gas prices. We're paying $4 a gallon for regular and $4.35 for diesel. It gets a little cheaper toward Detroit, but not much.

Ohio is around $3.72 for reg and $3.99 for diesel.
North Carolina $3.65 and $3.99

Like most, I think gas will rise the more demand we have during the summer.

What scares me is the trip back through Canada. It's about 25 to 40% more in Canada (using US dollars) so, if we do the trip, it'll probably be back through NJ, Penn, Ohio and back home.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
Devildogmom

Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by THedges View Post
Yep, diesel prices are killing me. Sad to say, but it will not affect us going out. Taking out the TT on the weekends is what gets me through the week, so I guess I'll be taking what ever abuse the gas companies dole out.
I noticed yesterday that diesel prices, eventhough outrageous, are now lower than regular gas!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Might be because it's changeover time for gas. Time to change the formula from "winter gas" to "summer gas" So, if the refinery is shut down or on a slow down, they'll be producing less, thereby keeping the demand for available gas up. This would keep the gas prices up. If diesel is not being affected by a "slow down" then there would be more available and the price would be down, or at least not as high.

Seems like "old times" when gas was always higher than diesel, but I'd guess those years are waaaaay behind us and gas will fall enough to keep diesel up there.

Funny how when the speculators suggest oil will rise in a few days, fuel prices go up, but when the price of oil actually goes down, fuel prices don't follow as quickly on the downslide as they do on the uphill side..... Hmmmmm oil companies just keep working their profits any way they can

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Just figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.
Here in Central Utah price of diesel is hovering around $4.20 (5gal X$4.20 = $21.00) My tank holds 42 gal. or $176.00 for a compleate fill-up).
I try harder to fill near 1/2 tank more these days.
The part that bugs me is that diesel has less refining to it than gas.
The refining tree (as it were), is roughly diesel/ fuel oil (for your furness of "Off road <farm tractors, etc>), then afew other concoctions then right
near the end of the process is gasoline...

Kind of like buying Ladies lingerie ... The less there is the more it costs.

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmmm Never thought of it quite that way, Hankaye.... Good analogy

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post

hankaye
Without the fringe benefits .... pun intended, The other Hank
Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Just figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.
Here in Central Utah price of diesel is hovering around $4.20 (5gal X$4.20 = $21.00) My tank holds 42 gal. or $176.00 for a compleate fill-up).
I try harder to fill near 1/2 tank more these days.
The part that bugs me is that diesel has less refining to it than gas.
The refining tree (as it were), is roughly diesel/ fuel oil (for your furness of "Off road <farm tractors, etc>), then afew other concoctions then right
near the end of the process is gasoline...

hankaye
Hank,
You are almost correct. But off-road diesel and on highway diesel is refined at the same time. The only difference is the off-road diesel does not have road tax applied and is dyed red. The large refiners are under mandate to refine all diesel to 15 PPM as of 2010. I do not know what classifies a small refiner but they do not have to comply until 2014.
See attached link:
http://www.clean-diesel.org/nonroad.html
The cost of refining two different grades of diesel and shipping to a terminal would be enormous and would lead to confusion. So off-road diesel will be 15 PPM the same as on highway unless it is left over from prior years.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote