Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
ellisk

248RKS Electric Line Length?

I recently bought a new 248RKS Bullet and I'm still getting it ready to take out for the first time. It's all fun but there's lots of things to do to "make it mine".

My question for now is about the land-line electrical hookup cord. How long is it? The one on mine is only about 8 feet long. Is that normal or is it shorter than usual? Haven't had it out to a campground yet, but that seems awfully short to reach some campground hookup.
ellisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most electrical cords are 25' or longer. Ours is about 30'. I'd suspect that yours is tangled in the cubby where it's stored. You might need to go inside, find the access panel for that cubby hole and untangle the cord so it will pull out of the little access door. Many people use silicone spray to keep their cable slick so it won't tangle as easily. Others, like me, get tired of the hassle of tangled cables and install a Marinco detachable electrical connector. Then, simply unplug the cable, roll it up and store it somewhere so it's convenient. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

ellisk -
I typed out a reply for your question which you also asked in another section of the forum only to find that you have asked the same question here.
Rather than typing out the reply again, I see that it basically the same suggestion that JRTJH wrote above so x2 what he wrote.

I've deleted your same question along with my answer.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most electrical cords are 25' or longer. Ours is about 30'. I'd suspect that yours is tangled in the cubby where it's stored. You might need to go inside, find the access panel for that cubby hole and untangle the cord so it will pull out of the little access door. Many people use silicone spray to keep their cable slick so it won't tangle as easily. Others, like me, get tired of the hassle of tangled cables and install a Marinco detachable electrical connector. Then, simply unplug the cable, roll it up and store it somewhere so it's convenient. Good Luck.
+1 on the cord being tangled.

I went one step further after installing a Marienco plug I turned the cubby hole where the cord used to reside and made a nice storage cabinet out of it.

I can keep a half dozen pairs of shoes in it.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #5
SteveC7010

+1 on the conversion kit. It is an excellent upgrade that you will appreciate for years to come. http://www.adventurerv.net/parkpower...source=Froogle

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
ellisk

Thanks!

Looks like I have another work session with my new toy to find the "missing" section of cord. I thought that there should be more cord in there but I hesitated to just start pulling on it for fear of disconnecting it up inside somewhere.

You all are lifesavers!!!

Ellis
Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
ellisk

found the cord

I found that access panel in the base kitchen cabinet by the stove. Looked in there and found 25' of heavy landline wadded and knotted up. Pulled it out on the kitchen floor, twisted it around to clear the tangles, then fed it out the little round trap door, put the inside cabinet panel back on, then re-stuffed the cord back in more carefully than the factory.

What a hassle but that 25' cord length is sure better than the 12 I thought I had! !

Thanks for the help!!!

Ellis in Missouri
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Bob Landry

The detachable power cord mod is one of the most beneficial ones you can do. It's certainly worth the $100 or so that it costs for the kit. I went further and added a second 30A inlet, a second breaker panel and split the loads so that they are balanced between the two power sources. I run the 2 30A cords off of a break out box that plugs into 50A service and uses each power leg for a 30A source. I also added an additional 20A service that does nothing but power a receptacle to run a space heater. I actually have two wall outlets for this with one of them being fed off the air conditioner breaker which is a 20A. That works fine since I would not be running the AC and a space heater at the same time and the space heaters need 20A.

I also made 30A extension cords for both circuits because my power inlets are in the rear and we go to campgrounds where the utility pedestal ends up being on the side of the trailer and to far away. My second breaker panel also allows me to combine the two 30A services in the event we go to a CG that does not have 50A service. Then everything works on a single 30A service, as originally set up, I just have to monitor my loads a a little more carefully. I have 80A of service, two 30As and a 20A on a rig that started out as 30A. Not as good as 50A, but more than enough for what I need.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote