Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
SpartanTuck

Passport 280BH

We recently got a Dodge Durango with a towing rating of 6200 and are thinking about upgrading from our 19 hybrid to a Passport 280BH because our kids are getting bigger and space is becoming an issue. We like the floorplan. Any thoughts/options on the unit? Anything we should look out for?

Thanks
SpartanTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
GaryWT

Nice looking unit. I guess it comes down to payload of the TV vs the tongue weight and everything/everyone one inside. If the numbers work then good luck with it. Some might question your wheelbase vs a 30 foot trailer but I am not sure of that equation.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanTuck View Post
We recently got a Dodge Durango with a towing rating of 6200 and are thinking about upgrading from our 19 hybrid to a Passport 280BH because our kids are getting bigger and space is becoming an issue. We like the floorplan. Any thoughts/options on the unit? Anything we should look out for?

Thanks
The first thing I would be looking out for is not the Passport 280BH but what you're towing it with - a Durango. With the limited amount of information you provided regarding the weights (Durango door sticker numbers) and similar numbers taken from the Passport - it is difficult to determine if the two are a good match.

There is a significant difference between a 19 Hybrid and a 280 Passport - especially the length. The wheelbase of the Durango and the length of the Passport would be a concern.

My initial reaction would be that, while they may be nice looking, the two are not a good match.

If there is a weigh scale within reasonable distance, then I'd fill up the truck with a tank of gas, take all the "camping" family with you (including dogs/cats) plus everything you might put in the bed of the truck when you go camping (chairs, wood, whatever...) and get it weighed. Once you have determined its actual weight, subtract that from the GVWR (truck door white sticker) and that will give you its payload. That will be a start in crunching the other numbers.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
SpartanTuck

Thanks, I will look into the weights better. We typically camp locally (less than 3 hours of travel) and never have to do mountains. There are barely any hills to deal with either.

I was also looking for opinions on the camper itself. Any know problems or what do I need to look for? This is a fairly big step for us.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Thanks, I will look into the weights better. We typically camp locally (less than 3 hours of travel) and never have to do mountains. There are barely any hills to deal with either.
How heavy a trailer you can tow and what your vehicle GVWR are don't have any bearing on whether or not you're towing over the rocky mountains or down a perfectly straight and flat ND highway... The weight limits of your vehicle are there to ensure that you can pull a trailer, but also that you can stop in an emergency or you don't prematurely wear out your engine / transmission / brakes / etc...

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

X2 I don't want to belabor the point, but weight limits are intended not only to keep you and your family safe but also the other motorists who just may be travelling that same stretch of local, flat highway. I think you should keep an open mind about the Durango's capabilities and think about the benefits of looking into a tow vehicle that will be a good, safe fit for the Passport you are considering.

If making any adjustments to either upgrade your TV or downsize the TT are out of the question and not something you would consider, then going through the motions of weighing your truck and working the numbers would be unproductive.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
SpartanTuck

Safety is always my first concern when it comes to my family. I do not want to imply otherwise. I intend to stay under my weight limit. If I don't think I can we will not get the trailer. We travel fairly light and never came close to the weight limit with our hybrid even though our tow vehicle could do less at the time.

Once again, any opinions on the trailer itself?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
RGene7001

There is little reason to choose old style 280bh over 2650bh, except bargain price for the older unit. 280 Elite is a different story. Which Durango is it? New Mercedes-based Durango, preferably 2013+, with 8 speed ZF should tow it safely and comfortably, EVEN WITH 6 cylinders. Previous generation will get it to destination eventually, but it's less stable and will drop to second gear even on modest grades.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
PKONolan

We got a 2400BH

We just received a 2015 2400BH and have had it out two times so far. We love this unit and our teenage kids especially love the big bunks which are like their own little kid caves. These double size bunks were a must have for us as they are both future 6 footers. We are getting a ladder, though, as getting into the top bunk, even for a spiritely teenager, is a dicey proposition.

So far, all of the systems have worked great. On the day we received it, it snowed and dropped into the 20's for about 4 days (Springtime in the Rockies). We actually stayed in it in front of the house. It was very comfortable in all areas due to the ducted heat. We continued to run the heat for the next four days since the dealer had de-winterized it. The seal undercarriage removed any concerns about freezing plumbing even at 20F and 30 MPH winds during those nights. We also took three consecutive showers last weekend without running out of hot water thanks to the dual mode hot water heater. We also run the helium fridge while at the curb without leveling. Cools superbly, even when not completely level.

Now the bad, it has had a couple of minor flaws like any mass produced product. The table conversion to bed rests on very narrow side supports of the benches. It falls with any amount of weight on it if not perfectly centered. I just cut 14" ABS pipe to put under, in the leg pockets, when used as a bed. The whole family can lounge on it now.The fire extinguisher bracket broke when it was hit by a leg (mounted right at door for obvious safety reason). I discovered the screws were installed into the bracket not through the gussets but through the un-reinforced plastic. A drill and driver bit solved this problem and it will withstand leg strikes much better now. I also noticed a nail popped in the paneling in the bunkhouse. Probably a missed shot from a nail gun. I just tapped it in and it's invisible now. I also plan to fill the finish nail holes in the wood as time goes along. Any that are not directly visible (like inside cabinets and under shelves) are not filled with colored putty. That's a nit-picky one, I know but I happened to have an exact match putty stick that I leave in the unit for down times while camping.

Our 2400BH is similar in dry and GVWR weight to the 4 foot longer 280BH due to some equipment differences like the outdoor kitchen and entertainment center. I estimate we have about 800 pounds in gear. We pull ours with a 2009 4.0L Tacoma 4-Door short bed (6,500/650) with an Anderson No-Sway WD hitch with about three threads showing past the adjustment nuts. The combination works fairly respectably. We towed it last week up Ute Pass (approximately 8,500 feet above sea level and fairly steep in some spots). We didn't break any land speed records but it was a comfortable trip up and down with little to no downhill sway. I did tow it twice without the WD hitch and, while noticeably different in handling, the towing without it was not too bad (did I mention it snowed and blowed on the day we got it). These trailers pull very nicely.

In short, I am truly amazed at what you can get in a camper for 4,500 pounds. That's only about a thousand more than our old pop up but worlds of difference in amenities and space. We are very happy so far.
PKONolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
SpartanTuck

Thanks. It is a 2014 Durango. If we end up getting it, we will be taking it for a test tow and get weights before buying it.

We like the floor plan with the double bed bunks for our growing kids. We were just concerned with the posts we found with leaking slides in older passports.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
RGene7001

Quote:
Thanks. It is a 2014 Durango. If we end up getting it, we will be taking it for a test tow and get weights before buying it.

We like the floor plan with the double bed bunks for our growing kids. We were just concerned with the posts we found with leaking slides in older passports.
Doing this will require to have brake controller installed and you will need WD hitch. Don't expect dealer to let you I ake new unit off the lot before buying. I would suggest to take your Durango with full tank of fuel to the scales and take its weight without occupants and cargo, so you will know your real payload capacity. Stickers may lie. My real payload is more like 1400~1450 lb, not 1201as per sticker, so I am more below GVWR than I expected

Gene.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Phil76

We have a 2011 durango with the 5.7 lt engine (7200lbs towing) and tow a bullet 281bhs. It's weight is 5100lbs and we have under 1000 lbs of gear. We don't speed but on our first trip of an hour and a half we had some fairly stiff winds. The dealership installed an equalizer 10,500lb weight distribution/anti sway and it barely moved. I stuck at about 105 kph (65 mph) and was very comfortable. Even when huge trucks passed me. I would agree with many on this board that you have to be very prudent when you drive and make sure the numbers work. I found that the max gross combined weight of the durango is 12750 ( mine tows 7200) but they only allow for 300 lbs for people and stuff in the car. So I put that number ( to be safe as I am a big bloke) minus 800 lbs for our family puppy included, and that drops the number.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #13
SpartanTuck

They said we could take it for a test tow. I will have to pay to have the break controller installed before we do it but I need to do that anyway even if we stay with our old 19foot hybrid.

We plan on getting it weighted soon to make sure the stickers are accurate. It would be nice to get a bit more cargo capacity but we are currently planning on the 1200lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
mjeronimo

Been there done that

I bought a2810bhwest last year, have a 2009 f-150 5.4 3.73 tow package. When I bought the truck I had no plans to get TT. When we did buy the TT the dry numbers are 550 +- hitch weight. I thought all is well and good. Heres the real numbers -hitch loaded for camping 720- truck fueled up loaded me in it 6160-wife 180 (we're both over 6ft tall) daughter 80lbs total 7140lbs GVW of truck 7200. I have not taken it to the cat scales I only weighed the truck at transfer station. I put cooler on lower rear bunk. Anything heavy like camp chef goes in rear storage. I take 2 extra propane tanks in padded boxes and put in the rear bathroom. I do everything I can to keep weight off tongue. My door sticker says1395 payload. I want to camp at seacliff beach most spots are dry camping, but if I fill the fresh water tank I'll be over by several hundred pounds. Don't get me wrong the f-150 tows it great. But I'm looking for a bigger truck. Look at white and yellow door sticker, you may be pushing it.
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
bign1976

I am currently towing a 245rb with a 13 Durango v6 equipped with the tow package. I would love to have a longer wheel base with a truck but thats not a option right now. The Durango pulls the trailer fairly easily.
bign1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
RGene7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bign1976 View Post
I am currently towing a 245rb with a 13 Durango v6 equipped with the tow package. I would love to have a longer wheel base with a truck but thats not a option right now. The Durango pulls the trailer fairly easily.
There are a few things you can do now.
1.Inflate your tires up to the pressure recommended by tire manufacturer. It can be found on the sidewall of the tire and will be much higher than pressures found on the fuel door.
2. Make sure that you tow bar is as short as possible, preferably a nonadjustable one. Moving pivot point even one inch close to the bumper will translate in about 3 inches of "virtual wheelbase" extension.
3. What hitch do you use? Is weight distribution adjusted correctly. When it comes to sway control, brilliant engineering ideas are not necessarily better than basic double sway bars.
4. Hensley/Propride is the ultimate solution of wheelbase problem. (If you have spare 100 lb of payload, as well as a few thousands $$$$)

Gene.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
Phil76

Quote:
They said we could take it for a test tow. I will have to pay to have the break controller installed before we do it but I need to do that anyway even if we stay with our old 19foot hybrid.

We plan on getting it weighted soon to make sure the stickers are accurate. It would be nice to get a bit more cargo capacity but we are currently planning on the 1200lbs.

If you have the tow package installed, you can do the brake controller yourself and save some cash. Under the dash board is a clip (behind the parking break you will need to take off the felt cover) we have the tekonsha primus and many manufacturers make specific "pigtails" connectors between the brake controller and your durango. I did it, in about 2 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote