Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
{tpc}

Fresh Water Tank Filling Question

Ok so go figure, I am back with another question. The trailer in question is a passport ultra light 2300 bh.

The question, in question, is how do you know when full is full? Its a gravity feed system and there is an opening that fits a water hose, it doesn't thread in but just sits in there. Now in the manual it states:

Quote:
While filling the tank, periodically check the monitor panel to determine the level of water in the tank. When full turn the water source off. If overfilled, water will “spit” back out of the gravity fill as there is no automatic shutoff. DO NOT leave the unit unattended while filling the fresh water tank. Overfilling the tank can cause damage to the system components which may not be considered warrantable.
Thats great and all, and thats how I have done it every time thus far and not had any issues. The reason for the question is, I am just wondering if the tank is really full at that point or not? Plus, I always see other people just filling up their trailer and never going inside. Maybe they have a different way of telling if its full?

I guess what I am saying is there has to be a better way of filling it that doesn't require lowering the steps, unlocking the door, opening the panel and pushing the button every so often, then yelling back to the wife "ok stop!" as soon as I see the full indicator light up.

Then again, I haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood) and I don't want to break the trailer. But what if something happens that directs attention away? It could happen, right?

As an additional question, will any damage occur to the pump if you run the unit dry? Or is there a level switch that shuts off power to the pump when the water reaches too low a level? At the end of our first outing we were "babying" the last few bits of water as I thought it might be bad to run till no water came out, but I am unsure of how the pump operates when the water gets low or runs out completely.

Edit: Just saw this in the manual:

Quote:
Never let the water pump run while the fresh water tank is empty. Damage to the pump and/or a blown circuit may occur.
Thats helpful and all but again, what if you forget or something? Or the kids do it?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Javi

It'll burp back at ya'
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
It'll burp back at ya'
So it won't damage it? Is the warning in the manual just their way of covering their own rear ends?

What about when the water runs out?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
UsTwo

Red face

when i fill fresh water.. i put the hose in and turn water on half way or more.. i will let that run for a few minutes and then go inside and turn the pump on...purge the lines.. open water lines in sinks.,, get the air out.. flush toilet.. etc..you won't believe how much more water you can take on... then back out side to wait for that burp.... actually you should be able to hear the water coming up the fill tube.. then slow it down.. you won't get so wet.. don't ask how i know..oh yea make sure your fresh water drains are closed..you won't belive how long it takes to fill fresh water with lines open...again don't ask... have fun you will figure it out...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
So Cal CPA

There's a little vent hole right next to the filler hole. You can feel air escape as you fill the fresh water tank. As Javi said it will burp back at you when it is full.

I simply stand there and wait and listen to the sounds the vent hole makes. It sounds similar to filling up a standard drinking water bottle or similar. When it sounds full I turn the valve down on the spigot. When water starts dripping out of the vent hole I turn off the spigot. Done.

I use my fresh water hose with the pressure regulator on it. I think if you fill it too fast (i.e. unregulated and the valve fully open on the spigot) you may cause some damage.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE={tpc};125350]

As an additional question, will any damage occur to the pump if you run the unit dry? Or is there a level switch that shuts off power to the pump when the water reaches too low a level? At the end of our first outing we were "babying" the last few bits of water as I thought it might be bad to run till no water came out, but I am unsure of how the pump operates when the water gets low or runs out completely.

?[QUOTE]

{tpc}
Many of today's water pumps can be "run dry" for short periods of time without causing damage. If, for example, the FW tank is empty and you turn the pump on, it probably won't be damaged. To see if your FW pump is protected, check the make and model, go online to the manufacturer's website and research the pump's features and specs. The description should tell you whether or not the pump can withstand being run dry for a brief period.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
{tpc}

Thanks all. I never thought about a pressure regulator for filling the fresh water tank, so cal. I have read about one for the city water line, but after checking the pressure thats regulated in the house I wasn't too worried. I'll probably get one to have on hand for those "you never know" type of moments.

Thanks Festus, I will look into that. I have a big pack of all the manuals and stuff for everything thats in the camper, so I probably have it somewhere already.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Shogunles

To make life easier for yourself, you can buy this adapter so the fill hose is secured by the threads of the inlet. Just check the type of threads you have male or female. Chances are they are male. I use this and it works well.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ure-fill/31795

It keeps you from having to stand there and hold the hose or Jerry rig it to stay put. It has a shirt off on it so you do not have to run the length of the hose to the shut off. Believe me when you have 2 50' lengths of hose to fill your tank, it helps!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
theasphaltrv'er

Wish mine had that option. No gravity fill hole. Just a threaded hose connector. Has a valve to switch from FW tank fill to city water. I'm still trying to figure out how to fill the FW tank when we're out boondocking and don't faucet to run water.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Flyboy446

Gravity Fill Fresh Water Tank - Cougar 28RBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Wish mine had that option. No gravity fill hole. Just a threaded hose connector. Has a valve to switch from FW tank fill to city water. I'm still trying to figure out how to fill the FW tank when we're out boondocking and don't faucet to run water.
Solution found after talking with Keystone. On the 2014 Cougar 28RBS you remove the bug screen on the fresh water tank vent hole, then you can use a large funnel and tube/hose to fill the fresh water tank via gravity ie., buckets of water. Be sure your water selection is on Tank, not City.

If you camp like we do at a lot of State Parks where we only have electric with some water stations throughout the park to fill water jugs, and if you are close to one of these water stations that has an unthreaded spigot, get yourself some extra hose and a Water Bandit. It will make your fresh water refills a lot easier.
Flyboy446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
greengiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunles View Post
To make life easier for yourself, you can buy this adapter so the fill hose is secured by the threads of the inlet. Just check the type of threads you have male or female. Chances are they are male. I use this and it works well.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ure-fill/31795

It keeps you from having to stand there and hold the hose or Jerry rig it to stay put. It has a shirt off on it so you do not have to run the length of the hose to the shut off. Believe me when you have 2 50' lengths of hose to fill your tank, it helps!

I agree on the shut off, but instead of spending $25 on that part, I took an old crappy hose and cut off the female threaded end and about 16" of hose. Then thread that on a $4 shut off. The 16" hose with no fitting just slides in the fresh fill line and stays. I also usually loop the hose over the door handle right there so it's not bent coming out and to the ground right away.
While I do like the 45 degree angle on that unit you can buy, I'm not sure threading it to the fresh tank is a good idea considering the pressure that might build when full, unless those tiny holes are vents.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

WalMart has a similar 45 degree hose inlet for $5.96 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-45-B...Elbow/14504299

and a separate shutoff fitting for $4.16 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Orbit-Meta...Valve/16332363

The two will effectively do the same thing for less than $10 rather than $27.

I too agree that connecting the hose with only a small vent /overflow could cause tank damage if not carefully watched.

I've been using the end of an old hose for years and it works well and hasn't caused any damage from overpressurizing. It wouldn't be difficult to add a shutoff if desired.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote